HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:40 PM

I don't think they talked about the interchange in the board meeting where they were discussing TCOR but I've been watching it progress for a few years now. I believe it's currently in design stage and will be similar to a freeway interchange.

There's pros and cons to the rental car lot. Won't need all those diesel spewing shuttle busses running offsite to many of the rental car lots unable to fit at the airport. However a giant parking garage for rental cars seems excessive. My understanding was that even prior to COVID rental car companies were seeing decreases in volume.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 12:28 AM

Hmm wonder why that is. I suppose they could just turn it into general parking if it's underused.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:23 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I will say it's frustrating the amount of stuff I post here to no response, including the above with new renderings of the Terminal Core Redevelopment.
Its definitely been a rough year, but I am always reading all the updates you post. Thank you for keeping us all informed with what is going on in the city and metro.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:09 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:52 PM

🌈👍👍

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 8:48 PM

This trees remind me of the Apple store downtown. This is honestly incredible. It feels too nice to be in Portland.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:06 PM

Apparently PDX has a fragile ego. We don't win the best airport award one time and we decide to blow it all up and go next level. (jk)

I like it, looks great. Nice to see they are continually trying to improve things.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroTech View Post
This trees remind me of the Apple store downtown. This is honestly incredible. It feels too nice to be in Portland.
Your comment makes no sense. PDX has been named the top US airport countless times. How can anything be too nice for a facility already recognized as the best?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:55 PM
BANNED

So is all the stores going to be past the security checkpoints?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Apparently PDX has a fragile ego. We don't win the best airport award one time and we decide to blow it all up and go next level. (jk)

I like it, looks great. Nice to see they are continually trying to improve things.
Wow, no kidding, PDX takes its best airport award seriously. We will definitely be getting that title back after this and will be keeping it for a while.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:17 AM

Wow, these look fantastic. Sadly, I don't ever make it through the airport anymore (currently live in San Diego, and end up flying through Seatac since it's closer to family), but I'll have to make a point to fly into PDX once this is complete -- I miss that airport, and once these changes are completed, it's going to be spectacular.

And thanks to all of those in PDX keeping things alive on this forum. Like many others, I don't comment as much as I used to on things (partly just because I'm not longer in the city), but I greatly appreciate the updates that other people post.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:41 PM

Those look amazing! I hope there's one or more awesome water features included. They have such a calming effect for what can be a high stress place.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
So is all the stores going to be past the security checkpoints?
I'm not sure about "all" but, yes, most retail will be post-security. Apparently fewer and fewer people these days want to spend time at the airport pre-security, given the risk of security delays.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:21 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow. Love!

Note the carpet in the third image. Nice! And necessary

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Why? Portland is going places. It is a city poised for special things to come IMO. Yes there are political growing pains, but if some people don't like it, they can always move. I moved back to Oregon to hopefully be part of the continued path to becoming all it can be. This expansion to an already classy airport is about the future. Portland deserves nice things as much as anywhere else. Denver in 1994 was a nice city, but visionaries and voters took it to another level. Denver has become a top location for companies to relocate too. It's a city just a little larger than Portland. Now, i'm not saying growth comes without problems (lack of affordable housing #1) , but cities must move forward. Portland Will recover from the issues it's facing right at the moment, and IMO, come out stronger and be a better place going forward. Visionaries and voters must continue to fight the good fight. Dream a better Portland, and make it happen. For All to enjoy .

Last edited by Tykendo; Oct 15, 2020 at 8:58 PM. Reason: tone

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Why? Portland is going places. It is a city poised for special things to come IMO. Yes there are political growing pains, but if some people don't like it, they can always move. I moved back to Oregon to hopefully be part of the continued path to becoming all it can be. This expansion to an already classy airport is about the future. Portland deserves nice things as much as anywhere else. Denver in 1994 was a nice city, but visionaries and voters took it to another level. Denver has become a top location for companies to relocate too. It's a city just a little larger than Portland. Now, i'm not saying growth comes without problems (lack of affordable housing #1) , but cities must move forward. Portland Will recover from the issues it's facing right at the moment, and IMO, come out stronger and be a better place going forward. Visionaries and voters must continue to fight the good fight. Dream a better Portland, and make it happen. For All to enjoy .
I agree 100% with your comment. I am excited to our future too. My comment was just referring to how I got accustomed to only seeing these massive and super modern projects only in bigger cities. I would get jealous wishing we would get something similar.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% with your comment. I am excited to our future too. My comment was just referring to how I got accustomed to only seeing these massive and super modern projects only in bigger cities. I would get jealous wishing we would get something similar.
My Bad! I obviously read your intent wrong. Thanks for correcting me. I get a little defensive when it comes to our beautiful city. It's not perfect, but no place is. But Portland is progressive and finally listening to the visionaries who have dreamed for it to be more. Go PDX!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:10 AM

Love the new renders of the main terminal. Does anyone know if they plan to renovate the baggage claim area as well? It would be a real shame if they don’t. It truly feels like your going into the basement of the airport where it’s dark and unimpressive when you go down those escalators to baggage claim.

Last edited by avatar07; Oct 22, 2020 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar07 View Post
Love the new renders of the main terminal. Does anyone know if they plan to renovate the baggage claim area as well? It would be a real shame if they don’t. It truly feels like your going into the basement of the airport where it’s dark and unimpressive when you go down those escalators to baggage claim.

From looking at these renderings my guess is yes. Pdx is a pretty small airport and by the look of those pictures they would need to utilize every square inch to make it grand as they’ve displayed in the renders.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar07 View Post
Yep. The entire main terminal building will be demolished in pieces and rebuilt. I haven't seen anything specific about the baggage claim area in the new terminal building but when I went through the airport yesterday there are signs of pre-construction prep everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick
From looking at these renderings my guess is yes. Pdx is a pretty small airport and by the look of those pictures they would need to utilize every square inch to make it grand as they’ve displayed in the renders.
The new terminal building will almost double the footprint of the current terminal. They are pushing into the C and D concourses to build a really large main terminal building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure