HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Yep. The entire main terminal building will be demolished in pieces and rebuilt. I haven't seen anything specific about the baggage claim area in the new terminal building but when I went through the airport yesterday there are signs of pre-construction prep everywhere.

The new terminal building will almost double the footprint of the current terminal. They are pushing into the C and D concourses to build a really large main terminal building.
I wonder how many gates this will remove from the inner facing concourses since the terminal will push further west. Just looking at the renderings, I'm thinking at least one each on C & D?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I wonder how many gates this will remove from the inner facing concourses since the terminal will push further west. Just looking at the renderings, I'm thinking at least one each on C & D?
I think so. IIRC there are four gates that are currently closed and when the project is complete two of them will reopen and two won't.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:13 PM

Are there any long-term plans to build a new Terminal A? I take it the number of gates lost in Terminal A won't be recouped with the new Terminal B and Terminal E.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Preparing to raise the roof … and set it in place

It will take three nights to move each of about 20 massive roof modules into place as part of the Portland International Airport’s $1.5 billion main terminal project.

A self-propelled modular transporter able to haul submarines and bridge spans will move the roof modules from a 20-acre concrete slab to the lay-down position at the jobsite. Moving each module into place will take one night.

“Remember the old NASA when they roll the rockets out? It kind of looks like that,” said Brad Harrison, senior manager of construction services for the Port of Portland.

On the second night, the columns will be raised and placed on the first part of large Y-columns and sliding towers. They’ll reach their final positions on the third night.
...continues at the DJC (temporarily unlocked).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
The new roof is being constructed over the existing one, and the old roof will be demolished in phases as the new roof is built and waterproofed.
That's going to be a massive building. I can't wait to watch the new roof being built over the current one.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:28 AM

I would really love to see an animated video of the construction sequencing for this. Taking a step back, if I'm understanding this correctly, they have to build the new columns through the existing building before they can install the new roof.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Are there any long-term plans to build a new Terminal A? I take it the number of gates lost in Terminal A won't be recouped with the new Terminal B and Terminal E.
I got the impression the new Terminal B will absorb all the old gate space from Terminal A, so there shouldn't be a net loss of gates.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure