HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:40 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's Oman Road Trip - Wadi Bani Khalid, from Nizwa to Sur

After some historic architecture, the next stop is nature-related. If you have a few more days to spare, book a night in the desert between Ibra and the wadi. I was short on time and having been to the Sahara in Morocco and Egypt as well, I decided to continue past straight to Wadi Bani Khalid.

Wadi Bani Khalid is quite a detour from the main Highway 23 to Sur. With construction in the area, the turn-off onto the side road is a bit elusive.

You will drive up the Eastern Hajar Mountains and a town emerges on the other side.

Despite the arid surroundings, there is plenty of water to form pools for swimming. Head beyond the town and the road will descend to cross the river (there is no bridge). After a couple of kilometres more, and you will see a stream of cars parked on both sides. The entrance is at the end of the paved road.

You will see a lot of tourists wandering about here. A paved path leads deeper into the valley. As this is not a long drive from Sur and relatively accessible, the water pools can get crowded on holidays.

Of course, there were jumpers from the heights. The water looked a bit murky to swim in but it was nice enough to enjoy it from the shores already.

The previous part - Ibra : https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=243346

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/oman-khalid.htm

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 3:54 AM

O Man, that looks like a nice oasis!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 2:38 PM

I spent two weeks in the extreme south western portion of Oman for two weeks backs in 2016. Very beautiful place and the locals were incredibly kind to me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:42 PM

Thank you for sharing, the landscape is more dramatic than I would have imagined.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:33 AM

If put me back to 2015-2016, I'd fricking tour the shit out of the world with knowing the pandemic spreading in 2020-unknown year with travel bans everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:00 AM
Hong Kong

Oman indeed has quite spectacular scenery and the locals are extremely hospitable. Luckily, it wasn't as expensive as I had first thought given it's positioned for the higher-end tourist (not backpacker friendly).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos