HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I had no idea how different legalization is from province to province. I wonder how balanced the country will be in a year's time.
It's very imbalanced.

For instance, Manitoba's provincial government is opposed to legalization and has implemented a bunch of petty and spiteful measures aimed at users. Basically, recreational marijuana smoking is only allowed on private property. You can't do it in rental apartments or cars, although national parks are OK. The fine is $672. So someone like a student from another province who lives in an apartment as do all his friends could potentially be screwed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:12 PM

The Vancouver Canucks' record is 4 2 0 today.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
It's very imbalanced.

For instance, Manitoba's provincial government is opposed to legalization and has implemented a bunch of petty and spiteful measures aimed at users. Basically, recreational marijuana smoking is only allowed on private property. You can't do it in rental apartments or cars, although national parks are OK. The fine is $672. So someone like a student from another province who lives in an apartment as do all his friends could potentially be screwed.
^ basically weed is being considered more or less the same as alcohol in terms of where you can consume it - but - because it is also being mostly smoked to consume it - it also falls under the the same issues as smoking in terms of where you can and can't use it.

Basically it seems to be what I expected. You can't walk down the street and smoke it, or while you are driving - just like booze.

I think once it expands into edibles (infused drinks, etc.) that is when it will have more of an impact and be more widely available. For instance having a cannabis drink with dinner, etc.

For me personally - that is what I am waiting for. I can't stand smoking the stuff. Legal or not.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:16 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah it must've sucked most of the joy out of the legalization moment to load a website instead of join the celebrating at a store - but it's temporary. An unnecessary delay of course, brought about by Ford himself, but there will be legal retail stores eventually.

I think at this point we probably have the most open? I think we're at 22 serving customers as of 4:20 p.m. today.

Yeah, it's too bad we won't have any physical locations until Spring - but the nice thing is that they've at least overturned the government monopoly on retail locations that the previous Liberal government had planned (hence the delay in licensing and such, I guess). Plus we're now able to smoke anywhere that cigarettes are legal (except in a vehicle, of course) - probably the one good thing the Ford government has done.

Do all the provincial age limits match up with those for liquor sales? Except in Quebec - did the CAQ move ahead with the 21 age limit yet?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah it must've sucked most of the joy out of the legalization moment to load a website instead of join the celebrating at a store - but it's temporary. An unnecessary delay of course, brought about by Ford himself, but there will be legal retail stores eventually.

I think at this point we probably have the most open? I think we're at 22 serving customers as of 4:20 p.m. today.
Which store is opening at 4:20?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think most of the ones in Labrador are. Sounds like it's because they literally aren't ready this morning (wires hanging from ceiling, etc.)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ basically weed is being considered more or less the same as alcohol in terms of where you can consume it - but - because it is also being mostly smoked to consume it - it also falls under the the same issues as smoking in terms of where you can and can't use it.
Everyone says this, but why should a ludicrously over-regulated substance be the model for something totally different?

I have never touched cannabis and I don't intend to, so personally, I have no dog in this fight. But I think the way it is being treated is silly as a matter of principle. For a provincial government that espouses small government philosophies, it is going to great lengths to control how cannabis is used, and to get as close as it can to banning the substance without actually doing so since it doesn't have the authority to do that.

The provinces that have imposed the same consumption rules on cannabis as with tobacco smoking got this one right. In time I suspect Manitoba will eventually get dragged into the present as well.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Everyone says this, but why should a ludicrously over-regulated substance be the model for something totally different?

I have never touched cannabis and I don't intend to, so personally, I have no dog in this fight. But I think the way it is being treated is silly as a matter of principle. For a provincial government that espouses small government philosophies, it is going to great lengths to control how cannabis is used, and to get as close as it can to banning the substance without actually doing so since it doesn't have the authority to do that.

The provinces that have imposed the same consumption rules on cannabis as with tobacco smoking got this one right. In time I suspect Manitoba will eventually get dragged into the present as well.
I tend to agree - but - pot is different than tobacco. IMO it will always be regulated closer to alcohol (as it causes impairment) with a side of tobacco regulation, if you want to ingest it via smoking.

I never expected this to be a free for all of walking down the sidewalk smoking pot.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Do all the provincial age limits match up with those for liquor sales? Except in Quebec - did the CAQ move ahead with the 21 age limit yet?
No, his members were sworn in yesterday and he's naming his cabinet today.

I think JT is also trying to get him to change his mind.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Thanks for the info. It's still a shitty way to buy something if you have little experience with it. Personally I hate the smell and taste of pot but I would like to get some oil to vape or to make edibles. I suffer from occasional insomnia and pot helps me sleep. In a store I can ask about the products and get feedback and advice. The info on that site is of little use to me.
Research suggests THC is better for directly inducing sleep but can leave you feeling groggy the next day, while CBD may not help falling asleep as well but is less inhibiting on the actual quality of sleep. Pick a combination of the two accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:54 PM

If i never have to hear about marijuana again I'll be happy. Sick of the non-stop coverage of something that the average person doesn't care that much about.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yesterday's COUNTDOWN TO CANNABIS ticker on CBC Newsworld was a bit much.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The Vancouver Canucks' record is 4 2 0 today.

LOL, perfect!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:55 PM
HVAC guru

I get to have "the talk" with my staff today about drugs in the workplace

Not that this is breaking news, but you know..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:56 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yesterday's COUNTDOWN TO CANNABIS ticker on CBC Newsworld was a bit much.
Fucking really? That's ridiculous. I don't like marijuana for anything, the smell and smoke puts me off to a great extent, but I can respect those who consume it whether by eating it or smoking it. It's sad how much resistance has been put against marijuana/hemp in the last century, considering it's uses, but it reflects the outright idiocy of competitive capitalism.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Research suggests THC is better for directly inducing sleep but can leave you feeling groggy the next day, while CBD may not help falling asleep as well but is less inhibiting on the actual quality of sleep. Pick a combination of the two accordingly.

Thanks . I have enough friends that know all of the in's and outs but I was looking forward to the experience of going out and finding a shop in my area where I could try out different items and chat with people about what they likes and what they recommend, what's new and what's overrated.

I do appreciate your tip though suburbanite and I will keep that in mind.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I wonder how many people truly didn't smoke because it was illegal. I can't imagine the official stores are capturing some massive outpouring of timid first-time buyers.
Yeah, this will affect almost no one, except that the talented underground pot-growers who develop amazing strains can now be hired legally to pursue a career in something they love doing. Winwin!

Its legality may encourage old-timers to try it now though. My grandmother has trouble sleeping and I've been encouraging her to try it for years every time she asks me questions about "pot" , hopefully, now she will try some CBD oil or something.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:37 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah, this will affect almost no one, except that the talented underground pot-growers who develop amazing strains can now be hired legally to pursue a career in something they love doing. Winwin!

Its legality may encourage old-timers to try it now though. My grandmother has trouble sleeping and I've been encouraging her to try it for years every time she asks me questions about "pot" , hopefully, now she will try some CBD oil or something.
It's no secret my folks were hippies way back in the day and partook back then. I can totally see my 74 year old dad smoking pot again now that it's legal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is there any chance that legalization could see Canadian banks running afoul of US law? As I understand it, that led to Uruguay needing to make all cannabis sales cash only, as Uruguayan banks could not do banking transactions with sellers. I'm thinking there must be some assurances somewhere, as I've not seen any comment on a potential problem.
on CBC Toronto news last night they had some guy saying to be careful when crossing the border and to make sure your credit card transactions are clean etc, ie they can look up when you bought some, i don't know if they can or would do that when crossing the border though

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is how the ones at Dominion groceries look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada