HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Really? That's cool! I always liked him, he seems like a great guy personally.

For many years Rod Pedersen was basically a blogger to me since his talk show was only broadcast on local Regina radio, but lately I've become a listener/watcher. Not on a daily basis, but if I'm doing yard work or something I'll download the podcast and listen while I work outside, etc.

He's a bit more relevant to people out here than shows like Tim & Sid or whatever. And he's generally a really good broadcaster, I find him entertaining but not in a grating or over the top kind of way.
I invited him to speak at our Naval Reserve Unit a few years ago and we've been good buddies since. He was a raging alcoholic just before I met him but has cleaned up his act and is now a recovery coach.

The guys here in Regina have taken a chance that Canadians are starved for sports talk that is not just NHL/NFL/NBA and its grown beyond their wildest expectations!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I invited him to speak at our Naval Reserve Unit a few years ago and we've been good buddies since. He was a raging alcoholic just before I met him but has cleaned up his act and is now a recovery coach.
The story was that he was going to get hired on as the Flames PxP man but his alcoholism cost him that gig. He had a couple of tough hands dealt to him including getting turfed as the Roughriders PxP man after something like 20 years on the job, but he keeps bouncing back... good for him.

Quote:
The guys here in Regina have taken a chance that Canadians are starved for sports talk that is not just NHL/NFL/NBA and its grown beyond their wildest expectations!
Yeah, it's nice to see. He has been doing a decent amount of Winnipeg content lately which keeps me interested, and he also appears on TSN 1290 in Winnipeg on Fridays.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
The story was that he was going to get hired on as the Flames PxP man but his alcoholism cost him that gig. He had a couple of tough hands dealt to him including getting turfed as the Roughriders PxP man after something like 20 years on the job, but he keeps bouncing back... good for him.

Yeah, it's nice to see. He has been doing a decent amount of Winnipeg content lately which keeps me interested, and he also appears on TSN 1290 in Winnipeg on Fridays.
Booze didn't get him bounced from the Riders job, Rod and the suits at CKRM had irreconcilable differences and he walked.
He's also pushed hard to be friends with Winnipeg and now working on Hamilton. Calgary on the other hand LOL!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:47 PM

^ Yeah, I heard about him butting heads with the CKRM people as well as some guys on the Riders board as I understand it?

I have noticed that he has taken a much more conciliatory tone as it relates to Winnipeg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:47 PM

Sad news out of Vancouver today.

One of our great Olympians and one hell of a nice person. When I was coaching, she was the person/athlete that I would point to as someone to emulate.

https://rowingcanada.org/in-memoriam-kathleen-heddle/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post

One of our great Olympians and one hell of a nice person. When I was coaching, she was the person/athlete that I would point to as someone to emulate.

Oh my. So very young.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post

That's really sad. I cheered for Heddle and McBean in the '90s.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:25 PM

OK, I'm putting this out there because I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Up until a few years ago I was a very casual hockey fan. I'd go to a couple of Jets/Moose games a year mainly as a social outing, and watch a period of hockey on TV here and there but never much. I was certainly not paying close attention or holding strong opinions about who should be on which line, etc.

Then as my son got older and took a huge interest in hockey as a player and a fan I started getting into it, and it was around that time my number came up on Jets season ticket waiting list. So I went to more games, started watching the odd game on TV, and all of that.

But now with the NHL season happening during COVID, it is everything. I'm watching every Jets game on TV, reading the papers and Jets twitter, etc. It has become a bit of a family bonding exercise, especially between my son and I, which is great in a time when there are so few other "normal" things for us to engage in. I am probably as into it now as I was since I was at my peak hockey fandom when I was around 11 or 12. It's kind of a relief on evenings where there's a game... I can just sit on the couch and enjoy it.

Anyone else finding themselves doing the same thing and watching a hell of a lot more sports in this environment?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm putting this out there because I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Up until a few years ago I was a very casual hockey fan. I'd go to a couple of Jets/Moose games a year mainly as a social outing, and watch a period of hockey on TV here and there but never much. I was certainly not paying close attention or holding strong opinions about who should be on which line, etc.

Then as my son got older and took a huge interest in hockey as a player and a fan I started getting into it, and it was around that time my number came up on Jets season ticket waiting list. So I went to more games, started watching the odd game on TV, and all of that.

But now with the NHL season happening during COVID, it is everything. I'm watching every Jets game on TV, reading the papers and Jets twitter, etc. It has become a bit of a family bonding exercise, especially between my son and I, which is great in a time when there are so few other "normal" things for us to engage in. I am probably as into it now as I was since I was at my peak hockey fandom when I was around 11 or 12. It's kind of a relief on evenings where there's a game... I can just sit on the couch and enjoy it.

Anyone else finding themselves doing the same thing and watching a hell of a lot more sports in this environment?
My 19 year old daughter is like that with baseball now. She started watching it last summer and is totally into it now. She would come down from her room and put the game on if I didn't already have it, and she started following all the baseball reporters on Twitter. She used to ask me what various stats mean and now she is a total stat nerd. When her and her friends went out for a high school graduation dinner in late August, she was always checking Twitter and talking about it and no one else in her group knew anything. Now with the offseason, she's been following all the free agency, arbitration news, hall of fame, anything. Especially during the down time between first and second term at "university from home". It's been awesome to see her take such an interest, I just wish I could keep up lol. Whether she sticks with it when life gets back to normal, we will see. I mean, last year was a special case, since she had nothing else really going on and the season was basically 3 months start to finish, so it was easy to keep up with. Not sure if she can stick out 162 games lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Slight uptick in interest for me.

Sure, I guess you could say I am watching more early season NHL than I have in years. Part of it is probably due to the weather too. Early October doesn't really feel like "hockey season" to me (more football weather), whereas January most definitely does.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Dude since like December 15 it's all I've done.

I started getting into hockey about a decade ago. I got really really into soccer during the 2010 world cup. I played a good bit of indoor at the time and messed up my ankle. When I gave up on soccer I'd watch a habs game here and there just out of curiosity.

Living in St.John's the habs had a bit of hipster cred and that was 98 percent of it. If I was at a bar drinking it was always a fun task of trying to follow something while too drunk to read the score.

Beyond that Hockey wasn't on my radar, never had cable and never had a way of watching it online. Not to mention the time zone issues in newfoundland/being someone that gets up between 5 am and 6 am.

I moved to London in 2017, was drenched in Leaf nation/London Knights hype. By 2018 I got super into the playoffs because I figured out that they were on CBC/guys at work were going ape shit for the leafs.

Spent the 2018-2019 season sleeping away games, checking stats daily, but couldn't justify loosing sleep.

2019-2020 I start skipping sleep trying to watch games, develop a begruding interest in the Leafs, went to a sens game, watched daily highlights, etc.

After Xmas I lost interest due to being busy, realized highlights weren't showing me anything about the game etc.

Last years playoffs came I was busy with summer shit.

This year I took the plunge and invested in a nhl.tv streaming service.

It's been a non stop hype train since the red white junior's games.

Netflix-Hbo etc has gone to crap. There's been few good movies in a number of years, I hate politics, and I'm obviously not going out.

My life is hockey 24/7.

My hope is 1 of 2 things. Either A canadian team gets a cup or I get a vaccine in my arms. (preferably Jets>Habs>Leafs>Oilers>Flames>Sens>Canucks)

I really don't give a rats ass which it is.

The big thing for me this year, is that I'll watch virtually every matchup that isn't vancouver-calgary. I have zero interest in any western team other than the jets. I now watch oilers/flames games because they are the most obvious threat to the jets.

I watch the leafs because they're fun to hate, but also because it'd make my dad-uncles super happy if they win a cup.

Finally the sens are my goto Eastern team and it's nice to catch a team, that I've seen in person to start turning a corner from their rebuild.

I just wish a Canadian division with 3-5 more teams was possible.

I really don't give two fluffs about what anyone in nashville thinks about anything. I have no interest in a league with 31 teams. It's far too many teams/games/players etc.

There's just something so unappealing about a 32 team league. There's almost nothing I like about it. If I were lucky enough to have the jets in the east a 16 team division would be very tolerable but that really realy isn't in the cards.

An all Canadian division is beyond unrealistic, but I'd be beyond happy if something like a rebooted norris division came about.

I'm hoping the NHL appreciates that the central division doesn't make sense from a television perspective.

Chicago-Detroit-Leafs should be in a division with Habs and Bruins.

If I had magical powers I'd thrown a team in quebec and have 3 conferences, pacific, midwestern and southern/metropolitan.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Jan 27, 2021 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Slight uptick in interest for me.

Sure, I guess you could say I am watching more early season NHL than I have in years. Part of it is probably due to the weather too. Early October doesn't really feel like "hockey season" to me (more football weather), whereas January most definitely does.
On the football thing, as you probably know I am not a NFL fan... nothing against it, but I am a total homer when it comes to rooting interest. If I lived in Minnesota I'd probably wear purple body paint on the regular, but no team in Winnipeg basically means I don't care.

But with respect to the CFL, I have to say, when I stop and think about it I miss it, but unless I consciously turn my mind to it like when I go for a walk or bike ride near IG Field, it isn't really a big deal. It's sort of an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing. I'm kind of surprised at how easy it was to go without it. The NHL has filled that gap for the most part.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:52 PM
arf

Quote:
On the football thing, as you probably know I am not a NFL fan... nothing against it, but I am a total homer when it comes to rooting interest. If I lived in Minnesota I'd probably wear purple body paint on the regular, but no team in Winnipeg basically means I don't care.

But with respect to the CFL, I have to say, when I stop and think about it I miss it, but unless I consciously turn my mind to it like when I go for a walk or bike ride near IG Field, it isn't really a big deal. It's sort of an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing. I'm kind of surprised at how easy it was to go without it. The NHL has filled that gap for the most part.
It is incredibly easy to have a full life without professional sports.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post

That's five 6ths of the Original Six right there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I am not the type of guy who goes to games with "the boys" every week or couple of weeks. At the most I probably go a half-dozen times a year at the most. But I do cherish those outings and I must say that attending games live with friends is something that I miss a lot.

In terms of in-person attendance lately I've been doing mostly CFL and NHL, probably with a slight edge to CFL.

I also miss going to bars on occasion to watch games with friends. Something that I also do on occasion.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It is incredibly easy to have a full life without professional sports.
Take that back right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker
It's fine to want this but it doesn't make logistical sense for the remaining teams around them. You still have to acknowledge that Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Pittsburgh still exist, as well as every other team in the NY-DC area.

For the NHL it's about balancing regional and national TV games so you can squeak out as many viewers as possible, and at the moment the most viewers in the US come from Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh. So spread them around with games against the likes of the Rangers, Philadelphia, and Washington and you've got decent ratings.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Just thinking that when things get back to normal I'll probably be going to see the CHL Gatineau Olympiques more often than I have lately. Haven't been to a game in quite a few years. The "boys" have gone a few times but I was never able to make it due to other commitments.

My guess is that with the new arena (shiny objects!) they'll be going a lot more often.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Take that back right now.

It's fine to want this but it doesn't make logistical sense for the remaining teams around them. You still have to acknowledge that Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Pittsburgh still exist, as well as every other team in the NY-DC area.

For the NHL it's about balancing regional and national TV games so you can squeak out as many viewers as possible, and at the moment the most viewers in the US come from Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh. So spread them around with games against the likes of the Rangers, Philadelphia, and Washington and you've got decent ratings.
Also, those cross-border matchups sound sexy to us Canadians, but not sure that the TV ratings in the US for these games would be as good as those against any of the fellow American clubs in the NE or Midwest, or even against clubs from other parts of the US (especially if they have star players).

I suppose there might be one-off exceptions (a Habs-Bruins game probably gets good ratings in the Boston market, for example) but overall, American TV viewers are usually more interested in seeing their team play other US cities.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Just thinking that when things get back to normal I'll probably be going to see the CHL Gatineau Olympiques more often than I have lately. Haven't been to a game in quite a few years. The "boys" have gone a few times but I was never able to make it due to other commitments.

My guess is that with the new arena (shiny objects!) they'll be going a lot more often.
I'm planning to buy season tickets for the WHL Winnipeg ICE once that league gets back in action. I just hope they make it given that they only had one season here and their plans for a new arena are twisting in the wind (they are basically playing in a junior A level venue at the moment).

I haven't had full season tickets for the Blue Bombers since my kids were born (just half seasons) but I might get back to doing that.

There were a few years when I didn't go a whole lot just because I and so many of my friends were busy with young children. Now my kids are old enough to want to go, and with the kids all getting older my buddies have more free time too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Also, those cross-border matchups sound sexy to us Canadians, but not sure that the TV ratings in the US for these games would be as good as those against any of the fellow American clubs in the NE or Midwest, or even against clubs from other parts of the US (especially if they have star players).

I suppose there might be one-off exceptions (a Habs-Bruins game probably gets good ratings in the Boston market, for example) but overall, American TV viewers are usually more interested in seeing their team play other US cities.
I wonder if the North Division might have staying power based on that... teams like Florida and Dallas not having to sell their fans on seeing the Flames or Canucks. NBCSN can probably do without the Canadian vs. US team matchups too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada