HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:17 PM

Sad day. Demo permit was issued for the building that formerly housed LaLuce at 1399 W Lake. Really a shame this couldn’t be saved.

Image Credit: DNAInfo

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:39 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Sad day. Demo permit was issued for the building that formerly housed LaLuce at 1399 W Lake. Really a shame this couldn’t be saved.

Image Credit: DNAInfo

Damn...that is so sad. Small parcel and such a beauty.... let's hope it's not a one story Tmobile

Let's hope the warehouse to the east is part of a deal and they'll be preserving this corner in exchange for extra height / density/ lower parking ratio on the rest of the assemblage. We can dream!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I read only that the building came off the delay list. Did you see something about an actual permit issued?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I read only that the building came off the delay list. Did you see something about an actual permit issued?
yes the permit was issued yesterday:

PERMIT - WRECKING/DEMOLITION
DEMOLITION PERMIT
11/30/2020
11/30/2020
1399 W LAKE ST
WRECK AND REMOVE A 4 STORY MASONRY MIXED USE BUILDING

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:53 PM
The City

Wow, completely unnecessary

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:01 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not a gamer and the idea that e-sports would displace actual physical sports at a time of soaring obesity is... concerning.

But damn that's a cool building. Will look awesome looming over the Stevenson or glowing along the Green Line.

Just the idea that there are potentially hundreds of people out there who would voluntarily spend their time and presumably money watching others play video games is frankly disorienting and makes me want to go for a long walk outside right now. That stated, agree - definitely welcome the addition and more Koo, please.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
yes the permit was issued yesterday:

PERMIT - WRECKING/DEMOLITION
DEMOLITION PERMIT
11/30/2020
11/30/2020
1399 W LAKE ST
WRECK AND REMOVE A 4 STORY MASONRY MIXED USE BUILDING

i thought we long ago dodged this bullet? GFD.

pilsen landmarking failed today too

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Glad this is happening

Pilsen Landmark District, defeated unanimously in committee. This one never had a realistic shot as it's difficult to recall any remotely similar proposal in which community opposition was so broad and overwhelming. Just sweeping. That's been clear for months.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:12 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i thought we long ago dodged this bullet? GFD.

pilsen landmarking failed today too
Truly awful. One of those buildings that I always admire when going past, as it stands out among its surroundings in a really pleasing way.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Pilsen Landmark District, defeated unanimously in committee. This one never had a realistic shot as it's difficult to recall any remotely similar proposal in which community opposition was so broad and overwhelming. Just sweeping. That's been clear for months.
welp get used to buildings like LaLuce coming down along 18th street and grey boxes with black window trim getting slapped up because its clear thats all this city knows how to do anymore short of enforceable protections

'urban renewal" back en vogue, now for even stupider and self defeating reasons than the first time!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:35 PM

oh come on, I am sure some of those will have multi colored paneling....can't stand in the way of "progress"! Why would we ever want to hold on to older buildings that make our city great when we can homogenize and become like all the others?....this just pisses me off. Nothing will get saved until there are only a very few left and by then they might not even be the best cases to preserve in the 1st place.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:37 PM

^, ^^ Truth bombs like these are gonna get yourselves banned!

Continually placing financial burdens on developers, such as Affordable Rate Housing, results in cost savings/VE changes in which aesthetics are the first to go! Hello banal design/colorful metal panels.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Nothing will get saved until there are only a very few left and by then they might not even be the best cases to preserve in the 1st place.
are there even any other surviving examples as well preserved of this building type in the city?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^, ^^ Truth bombs like these are gonna get yourselves banned!

Continually placing financial burdens on developers, such as Affordable Rate Housing, results in cost savings/VE changes elsewhere, resulting banal design/colorful metal panels.
you seriously think that not existing would change a damn thing in terms of what gets torn down and the quality of replacements we get? cmon

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:44 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Just the idea that there are potentially hundreds of people out there who would voluntarily spend their time and presumably money watching others play video games is frankly disorienting and makes me want to go for a long walk outside right now.
Here here.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Just the idea that there are potentially hundreds of people out there who would voluntarily spend their time and presumably money watching others play video games is frankly disorienting and makes me want to go for a long walk outside right now. That stated, agree - definitely welcome the addition and more Koo, please.
No doubt it's weird but certainly has a wide audience. Amazon bought Twitch for close to a billion dollars and it's just people playing video games while others watch.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:59 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
welp get used to buildings like LaLuce coming down along 18th street and grey boxes with black window trim getting slapped up because its clear thats all this city knows how to do anymore short of enforceable protections

'urban renewal" back en vogue, now for even stupider and self defeating reasons than the first time!

Oh - I don't doubt it.

Obviously not privy to all of the backroom (or even public for that matter) negotiating re Pilsen Landmark District but what were the efforts to compromise, provide offsetting benefits, ease permitting process/costs, community outreach/buy-in, etc etc - especially since it did not take a professional political tea leaf reader to realize that this Landmark legislation was DOA at least back in the spring/summer if not earlier?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:30 PM
The City

Even before landmarking, people were rehabbing existing structures in Pilsen.

Yours truly did it twice (one of which was actually a nice, historic building).

People will still rehab these properties, even without landmarking

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Even before landmarking, people were rehabbing existing structures in Pilsen.

Yours truly did it twice (one of which was actually a nice, historic building).

People will still rehab these properties, even without landmarking
i mean of course. the point is other significant buildings will be lost, because if it becomes profitable to do so (as we've seen all over the west loop) it will happen without protections in place. the biggest thing i think is Pilsen still has a very cohesive sense sense of place. the untouchables was able to film period shots there without changing a single thing. and you could still do the same there today. once you start punching out teeth along 18th or the side streets (most of which are smaller workers cottages) will immediately open the floodgates to tear downs. its already happening and its only going to accelerate.

if a stunning impeccably maintained victorian cant survive the west loop (complete with fully rentable units in a desireable location, and restaurant/bar location already built into the base) in 2020, i dont have a lot of hope for Pilsens historic housing stock over the next 15 years. the layouts in many of those buildings are already challenging and a lot are going to decide its just easier and more profitable to start from scratch

the only reason those smaller Fulton Market warehouses are still standing is because of...landmark protections. this would have ensured pilsen was protected in a similar way.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:45 PM
TL;DR

This is such a weird surreal debate. It's a proxy for gentrification but the stakes are paltry. The provisions of a landmark district are not that burdensome. There's really not a significant downside for the community for the landmark district. And win or lose, the displacement and gentrification of Pilsen will continue - just in existing buildings instead of new ones.

The city is not legally allowed to do anything (like rent control) that might seriously address displacement in Pilsen. The community has become outraged demanding action from the city that it cannot take without changes to the law in Springfield. Things the city CAN do, like the ARO, only produce affordable housing if you allow large new developments. Sigcho has not allowed any such developments. A demolition moratorium stops teardowns but not rehabs. A moratorium on building permits entirely will be struck down in a court.

Sigcho has even forced nonprofit developers like The Resurrection Project to downsize new buildings (100% affordable) because neighbors complained about height and parking. Doesn't sound like someone who is serious about the housing crisis, but maybe that's me.

Hopefully a reduced form of the landmark district might pass, focused just on 18th and Blue Island without surrounding residential blocks. If the community sees a district that mainly affects commercial property owners, it may be less controversial. And then there's the issue of St Adalbert, for which landmarking is rightly supported by the community.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 1, 2020 at 11:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development