HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:11 PM

I agree completely, Orlando. I think the Zephyr Lofts are a mess.

And no, Delts, there's nothing happening there yet. Right now, most of that parking lot is being used by construction crews to access the Paper Box Lofts site.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:30 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I have a couple complaints about the Zephyr project:

1) The ground floor storefrontages are squashed and too small compared to all the other storefrontages on both sides of 200 south in that area. It looks bad. I think they've squashed it because they tried to squeeze in parking above it. They should have limited the parking to not go over the retail, and make the retail/lobby spaces be double height. The ceilings in those lobby/retail spaces are going to be 8 to 9 feet.

2) The white & dark colors & materials do not relate to the surrounding red & dark/brown brick along that area.
I agree with the first point and I remember bringing it up before the design review.

The second point was a hot topic at the design review. Ultimately, if I am recalling correctly, the PC determined that, since it wasn't related to the project's petition (height exception), it wasn't in their mandate to require the developer to use different materials. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the building had been 75 ft or shorter (it's 85 ft), they could have built it by right without a design review and regardless of the materials.

I don't think the bricks will look that bad, personally. That first floor is terrible though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I agree with the first point and I remember bringing it up before the design review.

The second point was a hot topic at the design review. Ultimately, if I am recalling correctly, the PC determined that, since it wasn't related to the project's petition (height exception), it wasn't in their mandate to require the developer to use different materials. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the building had been 75 ft or shorter (it's 85 ft), they could have built it by right without a design review and regardless of the materials.

I don't think the bricks will look that bad, personally. That first floor is terrible though.
It sounds like the Design Review process is part of the problem. All projects are required to go through Design Review up here in Seattle. But, it appears that the developer doesn't have to go through Design Review if they meet the zoning code height requirements, and can therefore build whatever exterior design they want. That would not fly up here, at all. I assume that SLC is trying to balance this perception that it's hard to build in SLC compared to Lehi or any of the suburbs. So, they've intentionally made their design review and zoning requirements laxe in comparison to cities like Seattle.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 13, 2021 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:32 PM

Well construction is definitely underway at 255 State Street (Brinshore). There is a full crew there making quick work of the pit. With that, the demo work on the Moda Lux site and the Birdie construction, that's a busy block.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 11:21 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Well construction is definitely underway at 255 State Street (Brinshore). There is a full crew there making quick work of the pit. With that, the demo work on the Moda Lux site and the Birdie construction, that's a busy block.
I couldn’t remember so I looked it up. This land was originally sold for redevelopment in 2012. It has been 9 years or so to get to this point. Fingers crossed it is engineered right this time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I agree completely, Orlando. I think the Zephyr Lofts are a mess.

And no, Delts, there's nothing happening there yet. Right now, most of that parking lot is being used by construction crews to access the Paper Box Lofts site.

Scott, I've been meaning to ask you how things are fairing with film production in the Salt Lake area these days? I noticed there was a lot of programming coming out of Utah this past Holiday Season. Any news lately about more studio/soundstages being developed this coming year or when COVID subsides?

I don't so much dislike the overall design/massing of the building. I do think that a better color palette could be chosen as Orlando suggested, especially when it's being propped up next to the iconic Dakota Lofts. Using a very similar palette to the handsome historical building across the street on the corner(I forget its name) would make for a richer more attractive look along that section of the block.

Like most of you, my biggest complaint would be the stubby design execution at the most exposed street level. I appreciate that they're trying to compensate for hiding the parking garage while at the same time allowing more parkway space by recessing the street level and maximizing the sq footage of the second floor. However, there are a few minimal more attractive ways of doing it than what they've chosen. Even if it's just reconfiguring the arrangement and directional pattern of the windows, it could be an improvement. Structurally, as it is now they would probably be able to only increase the vertical design pattern of the retail street windows and lengthen their vertical design flow up to the apartment level. Getting rid of those smaller windows at the top, especially the horizontal ones, along with the horizontal pattern on the masonry blocks would be an improvement. At a minimum, anything and everything that tends to enhance that squashed look of the bottom floor needs to go.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 13, 2021 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Scott, I've been meaning to ask you how things are fairing with film production in the Salt Lake area these days? I noticed there was a lot of programming coming out of Utah this past Holiday Season. Any news lately about more studio/soundstages being developed this coming year or when COVID subsides?
Delts, it's been kind of crazy. A TON of work came here after California shut down for Covid. Of course, Utah never implemented the restrictions that California did on productions (for better or worse) so there has a been a lot going on. I was planning to take it kind of easy, and ended up working on major productions back-to-back-to-back (including one that was a MONTH of night shoots!) That said, I don't think we'll see much new development in terms of sound stages. With Yellowstone leaving for Montana, the Park City Studios are basically empty right now. Yellowstone was a massive success here, but they left because there aren't enough incentives to go around anymore. Until and unless the Utah Legislature votes to expand the film incentives and tax rebates, we'll keep losing productions to other states. My understanding is that the Disney High School Musical series eats up more than half of what is currently allocated.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:42 PM

Sounds like another opportunity missed out on by not electing Huntsman, at least film production incentives wise. Glad to hear though that you were busy during the 2020 season.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:50 PM

Columbia Pacific Advisors Lends $31M on Salt Lake City Adaptive Reuse Project

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/...ampus-slc-evo/

by mack burke january 13, 2021

seattle-based columbia pacific advisors’ bridge lending practice has provided just over $31 million in debt to developer lake union partners to redevelop a former industrial property in salt lake city into a sizable hotel, retail and commercial mixed-use asset that will be anchored by outdoor and sports retailer, evo.

Lake union partners has partnered with evo in the development, which is being built with an aim to create a community hub around “outdoor culture” in salt lake city’s granary district, one of the city’s oldest and now-fastest growing areas located just south of the downtown area. Evo announced its intentions for the project in june 2019.

The retail complex will be called campus slc and will span around 130,000 square feet. Evo will anchor the project, but will be accompanied by a range of other “complementary” businesses that will likely help bolster the goal of facilitating a culture around outdoor sports and recreation. Evo has partnered with the bouldering project to bring a 30,000-square-foot “bouldering,” or rock climbing, gym to the project, for instance. Bouldering project will co-anchor with evo, as per information from columbia pacific.

Columbia pacific senior vice president of real estate lending, will nelson, said in a statement that “campus slc provides a unique opportunity to participate in bringing a one-of-a-kind, outdoor-enthusiast-inspired retail and hospitality experience to salt lake’s burgeoning granary district. We believe the granary is an ideal location for campus slc, due to the district’s strong leasing activity and ongoing redevelopment into the city’s most vibrant neighborhood.”

nelson expressed elation over working with lake union partners, characterizing the firm as a “seasoned developer with a strong track record of delivering unique, high-quality projects.” lake union has a history of building quality, mixed-use residential and commercial assets throughout major primary markets in the pacific northwest and the broader western region of the u.s.

Campus slc will feature an outpost for outdoor sporting goods shop l9 sports (or level nine sports), as well as an indoor skatepark from seattle-based all together skatepark, an art gallery, creative workspace, and a range of food and beverage options. The original, targeted opening date was fall 2020, as per a june 2019 report in sgb media.

Evo founder and ceo bryce phillips told sgb media in june 2019 that the idea for campus slc was “directly born from [our] founding dna,” which he said was built on striving “to build community through a love of the outdoors, music, arts and culture.”

phillips added that evo’s goal for campus slc, in line with its founding mission, was “to create a crossroads and hub for the salt lake city community.”

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:54 PM

Salt Lake City convention hotel on track for fall 2022 opening

https://eturbonews.com/2552484/salt-...-2022-opening/
Estimated to cost $377 million, Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City is scheduled to be completed and hosting its first guests in the fall of 2022

One year after its groundbreaking ceremony, Salt Lake’s convention hotel — the Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City — is on schedule for completion in October 2022.

The tower concrete construction is completed through level three and the podium steel erection begins later this month. Through the first quarter of 2021, the exterior façade installation will begin, escalators on meeting room levels will be hoisted into place and the vertical construction is slated to continue to progress with topping out of the project to come at the end of this year.

“Seeing the Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City taking shape is both exciting and promising for Salt Lake’s meeting and convention future and the recovery of our visitor economy from the devastating effects of COVID-19,” said Kaitlin Eskelson, president & CEO of Visit Salt Lake.

“Our sales team will soon have everything meeting professionals want and they’re working hard to fill this new property and the many others throughout our community to ensure the long-term success of Salt Lake’s hospitality community.”

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:06 PM

aQui355

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

A new housing project has been proposed for 355 S 400 E just behind the recently completed 'The Quattro' which was done by the same developer, dbURBAN (which is also behind the proposed CINQ and Regius Square projects). https://www.dburbancommunities.com/

The project will be 5 floors and is a 60-unit market-rate multifamily project on a 0.22-acre parcel of land. 17 parking stalls provided for 60 living units.

Full project description:
Quote:
aQui355 is a 60-unit market-rate multifamily project on a 0.22-acre parcel that targets attainable, micro-based units. The Site is located at 355 South 400 East Salt Lake City, UT 84111 and is within the TSA overlay zone in the central east neighborhood. This project targets renters at the 80% AMI level.
The Central East neighborhood in Salt Lake City is defined by its proximity to both the University of Utah campus and the downtown CBD. Major grocers include Whole Foods, Traer Joes, Natures Grocery, Sprouts and Kroger in the immediate area. TRAX runs along 400 South and two station platforms are within ¾ of a mile from the site.
The unit mix of aQui355 is a combination of micro studios, 1BR and 2BR (i.e., roommate and urban dwelling solutions). The overall efficiency of the unit, coupled with great gathering space for social engagement, enables aQui355 to offer more than the standard “micro-units” in the market. High walkability of the neighborhood and mass transit facilitates a better urban living experience.
KEY FACTS
Quote:
Site Area (Acreage): 0.22 ac
Unit Count: 60
Rentable SF / Per Unit: 23,216 / 387
Density (Units/Acre): 272.7
Parking Ratio (Bed / Unit): 1:0.50 / 1:0.23
Est. Construction Start: 3Q 21

The project will be replacing the Upper Colorado River Commission building:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:33 PM

Report on downtown housing:

Video Link

A few things in the report to notice.

1. They are using an old image of future buildings. These don't include Kensington Tower, the Dakota Pacific mixed use building, nor the Utah Theater tower.

2. We know that addresses can and at times are generally wrong in reports but mentioning a taller building at or near 4th South and State. There have been rumors of the parking lot being developed over the last decade and each time it is fleeting. If the address is correct, it would seem that the project is further along than others in the past.

3. The 7,000 housing units approved in the last 5 years. That is great and we know that more are coming up downtown. I just wonder if these numbers are based on just building permits or from planning approvals.

4. It is nice to see a good report about the construction boom happening and from the sounds of it, we are are just the start of the boom.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:05 AM

I was just driving down North Temple and saw that the old Firestone service center (which has been closed for a while) has been torn down. This is at 900 W and North Temple on the south east side of the intersection. Does anyone know what is planned there? I don't remember seeing anything on the forum or before the planning commission for approval. I assume for them to demolish the building there must be a plan for the site.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:15 AM
Ironweed

There have been various population projections for SLC from a variety of sources. We have discussed this on the board in the past. Current numbers I believe, are 205,000+ residents for the city. It will be interesting to see the numbers when the final totals come out from the census.

My personal opinion is that the city could easily have a population of 300,000+in the future.... As silly as that may sound.

I suppose it depends on development patterns along the Wasatch Front, and what policy makers decide to do.

Most local Utahan's want the typical .25+ acre lot/single family home. This is impractical and non realistic due to geographical, hydrological, and cost reasons.

The Kem Gardner institute suggested a city population of 225,000 residents by 2060. I think that is way too low.

What are others thoughts on this?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
There have been various population projections for SLC from a variety of sources. We have discussed this on the board in the past. Current numbers I believe, are 205,000+ residents for the city. It will be interesting to see the numbers when the final totals come out from the census.

My personal opinion is that the city could easily have a population of 300,000+in the future.... As silly as that may sound.

I suppose it depends on development patterns along the Wasatch Front, and what policy makers decide to do.

Most local Utahan's want the typical .25+ acre lot/single family home. This is impractical and non realistic due to geographical, hydrological, and cost reasons.

The Kem Gardner institute suggested a city population of 225,000 residents by 2060. I think that is way too low.

No I completely agree, my prediction to myself in 2019 was Salt Lake's population will hit 300k+ by 2030. Could be a little high and optimistic, but two events I believe will shape this are the NBA All-Star game in 2023 and the Winter Olympics in 2030 if Utah gets the bid. These will help bring in tourism and show what the city is like.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

I think that if the current boom continues for a few years we could hit 230K to 235K by 2030.

I don't put too much faith in the Kem Gardner estimates because they still follow the single family home methodology. They have SL County hitting 1.6 Million also around 2060 and basically staying there. They have Utah County hitting 1.6 Million shortly after because they feel most people will want the single family homes in Utah County.

Davis County barely moves at all in the next 40 years from their estimates for the same reason.

As we have seen the markets shift, I do think we will continue to see more density along the Wasatch Front and particularly in SLC. As this shift progresses, I do think it is possible for SLC to hit 300K but not until around 2050 to 2060.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:04 PM

There are so many residentially underdeveloped north/south, east/west corridors between I-15 and Magna. There's no reason why Salt Lake City proper couldn't reach a population exceeding 300,000 by 2050. That is if the same type of growth and multi-family development that has been happening this past decade continues Westward. There are many large areas on the west side whose uses could be transformed from former industrial to multi-unit residential. I think we'll see large underutilized blighted areas transformed as Salt Lake City's inner core districts become increasingly more densely developed. The type of development coming up with Westward North Temple is just the beginning.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:17 PM

I mean, isnt there like 7000 housing units being built right now? Say an average of 2.5 people per unit and that's 17500 right there and that's just what's happening right now.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 8:25 PM

Deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West