HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
It's improving in LA, but still not good. My app says AQI is 122 right now in my part of the city. Beijing, for comparison is 57. New York is 33. I believe this past weekend it was around 160-180 for my neighborhood, so 120 seems a bit better.
It seems the closer you are to the coast, the cleaner the air.

For my ZIP Code the current AQI is 106. For my parents' ZIP (where I grew up), the current AQI is 73.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:30 PM
你的媽媽

In the 10-20s here now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 9:08 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
California being ruled by a single party seemingly full of idiots and activists only is what the problem is. And like all mismanaged institutions when times get tough those problems are amplified tenfold.
who thought this was was going to fly? a supporter of the party of total environmental deregulation? how unsurprising.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:19 AM

I hiked and jogged today with no issues. Blue skies everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
So you all will continue to put your problems on everyone else. It's been hazy in the northeast for this entire week because of those fires.
Blaming the western states for the prevailing westerly winds that blow the smoke to you is silly, but you are probably joking. Blame mother nature. The westerly winds will blow the smoke from you to Europe. Then to Asia. Eventually it will be diluted and precipitated out.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I hiked and jogged today with no issues. Blue skies everywhere.
Air quality is much better in SD County as well. Better visibility. Some wind. Air in the northwest will be much better by the weekend, with some rain and winds off the Pacific. Will help extinguish the fires.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Blaming the western states for the prevailing westerly winds that blow the smoke to you is silly, but you are probably joking. Blame mother nature. The westerly winds will blow the smoke from you to Europe. Then to Asia. Eventually it will be diluted and precipitated out.
We’ve done a pretty terrible job of forest management. Donald is right about that, except for the small detail that the feds own and are responsible for 69% of the forests on the west coast.

But we don’t do enough controlled burns with the land California owns and that probably has to do with the continued cycle of allowing people to rebuild and expand out into the wilderness. Shockingly, California hasn’t even reached a point where we’ll seriously talk about mitigating these yearly wildfires, beyond blaming climate change which we can easily deflect onto the rest of the world.

I’d like to hear something out of Newsom’s mouth other than “climate change is real. Believe science.” as if we have no responsibility and are helpless in mitigating these disasters. Ok, climate change is real. Lowering CO emission is important. Fine. That isn't going to stop these massives fires from continuing. Can we actually respond to these effects of climate change by changing our behavior by not rebuilding and not incentivize people to build into unsafe areas?

The Wildfires Show That Stopping Climate Change Is No Longer Enough

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
First day after 30 days of unhealthy air in the bay area. It was misty and foggy yesterday which did wonders for the air quality. The bad air is expected to return this weekend though.
The same low pressure system that will bring some rain to Oregon and Washington will bring a stronger onshore flow to California coast, so the air quality should continue to improve. Probably no rain in CA though, except extreme north coast above Eureka.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 18, 2020 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:39 PM
An Optimistic Realist

The air is already clearing in San Bernardino. Best air quality day in a while.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:00 AM

Ok what else, now we are having an earthquake. I was about getting the family up and run downstairs and go outside in my boxers. We just got in the bed, hopefully no more shaking tonight.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
We’ve done a pretty terrible job of forest management.
California's state government seems to have a special hatred/neglect for the region to the north/northeast of Sacramento. The absurd long-term neglect of the Oroville dam, the Paradise fire catastrophe, the Berry Creek fire catastrophe this year, etc.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Ok what else, now we are having an earthquake. I was about getting the family up and run downstairs and go outside in my boxers. We just got in the bed, hopefully no more shaking tonight.
Yup. It never ends this year.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 5:42 PM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It seems the closer you are to the coast, the cleaner the air.
Which is why when speaking of the California Dream, one is always referring to just the coastal region, whether or not one realizes it.

The rest of California is highly undesirable, and has never been part of this understanding of the Dream

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Which is why when speaking of the California Dream, one is always referring to just the coastal region, whether or not one realizes it.

The rest of California is highly undesirable, and has never been part of this understanding of the Dream
I wouldn’t exactly call all inland areas of California highly undesirable. There are plenty of inland communities that are very desirable, examples just in Southern California are places like Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre, Glendale, Burbank, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks,Claremont, Upland, Redlands, etc. it’s true that the coast will be first choice for many but there are plenty of areas that are quite nice and people are cool with living in those areas. I would even add there are gourgeous areas in foothills of the San Jaoquin Valley that are quite desirable and very nice and many people choose those areas. In fact there are people who prefer the inland areas over the coast because they are not fond of overcast skies and dreariness is that is typical in many coastal California cities.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 6:49 PM
ride or die

By inland I am referring to the hinterlands of the state, away from the major coastal metro areas (including Pasadena etc)

I challenge your notion that the California dream as laypeople today use it (people outside of California most importantly) refers to the San Joaquin valley. That’s just untrue boosterism. The SJV is unequivocally considered an armpit locale of second choice.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Needles is by far the greatest city in California.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:20 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
We’ve done a pretty terrible job of forest management. Donald is right about that, except for the small detail that the feds own and are responsible for 69% of the forests on the west coast.

But we don’t do enough controlled burns with the land California owns and that probably has to do with the continued cycle of allowing people to rebuild and expand out into the wilderness. Shockingly, California hasn’t even reached a point where we’ll seriously talk about mitigating these yearly wildfires, beyond blaming climate change which we can easily deflect onto the rest of the world.

I’d like to hear something out of Newsom’s mouth other than “climate change is real. Believe science.” as if we have no responsibility and are helpless in mitigating these disasters. Ok, climate change is real. Lowering CO emission is important. Fine. That isn't going to stop these massives fires from continuing. Can we actually respond to these effects of climate change by changing our behavior by not rebuilding and not incentivize people to build into unsafe areas?

The Wildfires Show That Stopping Climate Change Is No Longer Enough
Agree. Newsome is disconnected from so many issues and ignores other factors.
We know for a fact this year we have had; arson, lightning, gender reveal parties, outdated electrical infrastructure, and mismanaged forest/brush control. Those all have zero to do with climate change.
I would be in favor for also having Cal Fire assess problem areas and even work on management during the "off" season. They have become a large agency with tons of employees.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:29 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I wouldn’t exactly call all inland areas of California highly undesirable. There are plenty of inland communities that are very desirable, examples just in Southern California are places like Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre, Glendale, Burbank, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks,Claremont, Upland, Redlands, etc. it’s true that the coast will be first choice for many but there are plenty of areas that are quite nice and people are cool with living in those areas. I would even add there are gourgeous areas in foothills of the San Jaoquin Valley that are quite desirable and very nice and many people choose those areas. In fact there are people who prefer the inland areas over the coast because they are not fond of overcast skies and dreariness is that is typical in many coastal California cities.
I understand what bikemike was saying and agree to a degree, but there are tons of desireable areas outside of coastal California. People can find their California dream in Napa, in Tahoe, in Palm Springs, heck even in parts of the SJ Valley or far norther California.

I think for many the loss of what California once was, meaning an up and coming region with unlimited possibility has been changed to a more mature place that can no longer have unbridled growth and has been saddled with over regulation, taxation, and high cost of living.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yes, I was joking. But please, no more gender reveals next to dry brush.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 9:41 PM
Never Dell

Other things trigger fire. But climate change sure as hell can contribute to the SPREAD of fire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions