HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:19 PM

I could see MLS making sense - there's a big soccer community in Austin. Plus hipsters love futbol. I can't see NFL taking on so well, considering our tiny local school team that plays in the Fall. Can't see NHL doing well either - the Ice Bats were here for a while and left due to lack of support. Baseball? Meh, that's for the 'burbs.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:01 PM

While the bowls are excessive, it makes sense to have one in Austin. But you would need to seek the fan bases that can travel well and primetime billing to pack DKR. 7pm kickoff New Years' Eve or New Years Day. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 2:59 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...ebook_2014_sfp
Quote:
Austin achieves fifth-largest television market for U.S. final win
4:12 p.m. Monday, July 6, 2015 | Filed in: Sports

Women’s World Cup continued its strong television viewership in Austin as the market was pegged with the fifth-highest household ratings for the United States’ 5-2 victory over Japan in the final.

According to overnight numbers released by Nielsen, Austin’s 19.1 rating trailed only Kansas City (20.6), St. Louis (20.5), San Diego (19.5) and Denver (19.4).

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I watched the final match, and I will say that it was better than any men's soccer game that I have ever watched (which admittedly is very few) because there was scoring. Soccer will never catch on in the U.S. in a large way as long as there are so many 0-0 and 1-0 scores.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Watched at Haymakers! Fun crowd..... great game !

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:57 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
...the Ice Bats were here for a while and left due to lack of support.
Incorrect. The Ice Bats did "leave," they lost their lease at the Travis County Expo center (aka The Bat Cave) and were forced to move to tiny Chaparral Ice (which was the beginning of the end).

Furthermore, at that same time, a group was attempting to bring a AAA-level team to the proposed Cedar Park Center. That team, as we know, was and remains the Texas Stars (the AAA-level affiliate of the Dallas Stars).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 8:11 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I watched the final match, and I will say that it was better than any men's soccer game that I have ever watched (which admittedly is very few) because there was scoring. Soccer will never catch on in the U.S. in a large way as long as there are so many 0-0 and 1-0 scores.
I disagree that it will never catch on in a large way. Certainly it may not ever be up there with NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., but it's been steadily growing in popularity since the U.S. hosted the World Cup in '94, and especially over the last few World Cups (men's and women's). I think it's only going to get more popular. I could see it surpassing NHL, for instance, eventually.

Speaking of which, US is currently leading their group in the CONCACAF Gold Cup! They play Panama next.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 2:22 PM
lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I disagree that it will never catch on in a large way. Certainly it may not ever be up there with NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., but it's been steadily growing in popularity since the U.S. hosted the World Cup in '94, and especially over the last few World Cups (men's and women's). I think it's only going to get more popular. I could see it surpassing NHL, for instance, eventually.

Speaking of which, US is currently leading their group in the CONCACAF Gold Cup! They play Panama next.

The NHL has huge attendance numbers, Bigger than NBA. Also the NHL is looking for a huge expansion. NHL selling out more than NBA

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 10:51 PM
World Traveler

That comes as a surprise to me. I definitely stand corrected. I still think that MLS and the US Men's & Women's teams will continue to grow in popularity in the U.S., however, along with the major leagues in Europe.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 11:03 PM

The NHL's bigger numbers than the NBA can be attributed to the fact that it is much more popular in Canada than basketball.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 11:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The NHL's bigger numbers than the NBA can be attributed to the fact that it is much more popular in Canada than basketball.
That would not even alleviate the fact that the U.S. is multiple times larger than Canada.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:27 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That would not even alleviate the fact that the U.S. is multiple times larger than Canada.
In population

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Incorrect. The Ice Bats did "leave," they lost their lease at the Travis County Expo center (aka The Bat Cave) and were forced to move to tiny Chaparral Ice (which was the beginning of the end).

Furthermore, at that same time, a group was attempting to bring a AAA-level team to the proposed Cedar Park Center. That team, as we know, was and remains the Texas Stars (the AAA-level affiliate of the Dallas Stars).

Thanks for clarifying. I never was able to go to a game - just remember them being around.

On a soccer note - anyone up for 3v3 vs Donovan, Ching, and Holden? 8/1 during half-time at the Aztex game.

http://austinaztex.com/2015/07/13/he...-holden-on-81/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:06 PM

MLS is a growing sports league in the U.S., but the athletes are poorly paid. It will not become a real "major" league until their pay becomes competitive with the others.
Average major league player yearly salary in USA
baseball $3.8 million
basketball $5.1 million
football $1.9 million
hockey $2.7 million
soccer $226 thousand
Notes:
1) Median salaries are lower than the average in every sport.
2) The average player salary in the English Premiere League is $3.5 million (2.3 million pounds)
The better MLS players will eventually go to Europe to play soccer for higher salaries.
MLS is major in name only.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:36 PM

The Aztex (soccer) have suspended operations for 2016 while they look for a suitable venue. http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spor...e-2016-season/

USL (2nd Division Soccer) requires that teams be in soccer-specific stadiums as primary tenants by 2020; teams must be in facilities with a minimum capacity of 5,000 by 2017. The Aztex had been playing on a league waiver for this past season.

Hopefully they can find a suitable location somewhere that is easily accessible and good for soccer.

Here is an Aztex page for info about the stadium search:
http://www.stadiumforaustin.com/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The Aztex (soccer) have suspended operations for 2016 while they look for a suitable venue. http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spor...e-2016-season/

USL (2nd Division Soccer) requires that teams be in soccer-specific stadiums as primary tenants by 2020; teams must be in facilities with a minimum capacity of 5,000 by 2017. The Aztex had been playing on a league waiver for this past season.

Hopefully they can find a suitable location somewhere that is easily accessible and good for soccer.

Here is an Aztex page for info about the stadium search:
http://www.stadiumforaustin.com/
It's what is called building a stadium. You see this is why sports never last in Austin other than UT and it's because nobody is willing to actually pay to build a venue. Where are they going to "find a stadium" anywhere close to DT without building it? They won't other than where they were and that was surely not a permanent solution to begin with. We aren't going to have an MSL team at this rate.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 7:13 AM
World Traveler

Hopefully someone with money feels inspired to put their name on a stadium and lease it to the Aztex. I think that's the only way it'll happen.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:37 PM

Believe it or not I actually miss arena football. Went to a few Austin Wrangler games. Was kind of fun. I didn't care to watch it on TV, but being there was enjoyable. Tickets were dirt cheap- like $8 bucks or something ridiculous (for top nose bleed section, but you could slink over to closer seats afterwards). I think we were able to find free parking near the Erwin Center as well. I would've gladly paid $20-30. Not bad for half day's worth of getting out of the Texas heat for indoor entertainment.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:41 AM

There are reports that Raiders's owner Mark Davis has land located halfway between Austin and San Antonio for a stadium to move the Raiders. The Bleacher Report seems to be where the story is originating. Here's a link to one of the reports. The video in the story is better than the article.

http://justblogbaby.com/2016/01/11/o...ocation-fails/

Quote:
Cole reports that Davis already has land ready halfway between Austin and San Antonio, an ideal spot for the Raiders to build a new stadium if they can secure the funding to bring a third NFL team to Texas. Giving Davis another out if he continues to struggle to get a new stadium built in Oakland.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

The Raiders have always been my and my dad's 2nd favorite team. This would be pretty cool. But I just don't see Jones and McClane sitting back and letting it happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin