HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 4:13 PM

The Statesman says that construction could be two years out....makes me wonder if it will ever be built...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:17 AM
Meh

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:19 PM

Let's stop calling this a boutique hotel (I'm guilty of this, too).

It's a big bland box. Hotel San Jose is boutique hotel.

I pray that they can insert some creative soul into this project. There's no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't improve on this design.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I'm not a fan of the design. The rendering is that exaggerated-angle look meant to make a very bland building look exciting. And it still looks boring, like an extended stay suites or something, designed with no purpose other than to keep costs down.

No offense to San Antonio, but it reminds me of what typically went up in SA over the past couple of decades.
my thoughts exactly

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:21 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think its better than what has gone up in San Antonio, but not by much.

P.S. - The building sucks.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:02 AM
Meh

By the way, I found the height for this from the building elevations.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-to-break.html
Quote:
Feb 28, 2013, 8:33am CST
Two more hotel projects to break ground in downtown Austin

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Developers of the proposed Hotel Van Zandt in the Waterfront District and the Fairmont Austin nearby confirmed that they are moving ahead with construction. The announcements were made at the monthly breakfast gathering of the Urban Land Institute’s Austin chapter.

Greg Clay, chief investment officer for JMI Realty, which is developing the Hotel Van Zandt, said his company has applied for building permits and expects to break ground by June on the 16-story, 327-room hotel. It which will be operated by Kimpton Hotels, a San Francisco company, which specializes in chic boutique hotels.

Though JMI has owned the site at Red River and Davis streets since 2006, the project had been stalled by the recession and other factors, but now it’s back on track.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 1, 2013 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:44 AM

Now that T. Stacy's project is officially dead, this one has become the longest running non-starter. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Now that T. Stacy's project is officially dead, this one has become the longest running non-starter. Hopefully this is a good sign.
I would be more excited if the design wasn't worse than than the new Hyatt.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I would be more excited if the design wasn't worse than than the new Hyatt.
Um... I really don't think it will be that bad. I just looked at the architect site. There is a detail on the project sheet that suggests the material will be far better. Also , looking at thier other projects, I think we will not be looking at something as bottom of the food chain as the Hyatt.

At least I will keep hoping!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Um... I really don't think it will be that bad. I just looked at the architect site. There is a detail on the project sheet that suggests the material will be far better. Also , looking at thier other projects, I think we will not be looking at something as bottom of the food chain as the Hyatt.

At least I will keep hoping!

More red accents and and less brown could save it from being completely bland. It will probably be higher quality material than the Hyatt, but the design is completely uninspired for a boutique hotel. I will say that based purely off renders, I like the Hyatt better than Van Zandt, but we will see when both are finished.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:37 AM
Meh

I do wish we could see some nicer towers in that area. I mean, all the buildings going up there have added nicely to the area, but they're designs are pretty blah. For such a prominent area of downtown, not only because it's near the water, but also those buildings have high visibility from I-35, I just don't get how they aren't stepping up their game for some nicer landmarkish designs. Think of the west side of the skyline near the water. The designs are a lot more pleasing to the eye. Austin SkyHouse will at least add some glass in that area which so far as been mostly stone facades.

This one will be ok, but it's more of the same of what we've been seeing there. I did really like the original design for this hotel, and not just because it was 340 feet tall with 31 floors. The design was interesting. It's too bad they didn't keep design and just reduce the height if as strictly a matter of scaling back the size. That area of the skyline is also dark. It could use a little umph.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:34 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The original design was one of my favorites in town. Unfortunately, that won't happen and the new design sucks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:02 AM

The original design included half condos. So obviously the exterior had to be stepped up for potential buyers. Out-of-towners looking for room aren't as discriminating. Way back in 2006 when this was in the planning stages Rainey St. wasn't the hotbed of night life that it is today, and the hotel seemed somewhat isolated from downtown. Now their location looks to be a winner, and they will be the only hotel directly in that district.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The original design included half condos. So obviously the exterior had to be stepped up for potential buyers. Out-of-towners looking for room aren't as discriminating. Way back in 2006 when this was in the planning stages Rainey St. wasn't the hotbed of night life that it is today, and the hotel seemed somewhat isolated from downtown. Now their location looks to be a winner, and they will be the only hotel directly in that district.
I agree that the time may be right for this project, but they need to get moving because I suspect there is only going to be funding for so many hotel projects at any given point in time. The Fairmont project will be nearby and bidding for the same up market clentele. Both hotels would probably be ready around the same time following the opening of the giant Marriott by about a year or two. The hotel industry press has speculated that this much hotel development in a market the size of Austin is unprecedented and more than a bit risky. I hope they both get built, and think a medium sized hotel in the Rainey area is a nice addition. Of course, proximity to the new Waller Creek amenities is likely to create demand at this location for hotel rooms. This is going to be Austin's own Riverwalk area before too very long. Sorry San Antonio, but I guess it was bound to happen.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 11:42 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:47 AM

I want to say "Woo hoo!" But the final version being built falls 'short' of my expectation.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:02 AM

I had a feeling this project was eventually going to happen. Since it seems that they have announced that the FINANCING IS IN PLACE (and named the lender), I suspect that this will move forward soon. It is a nice fit for the Rainey area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:45 PM

June has started, has anyone heard anything on this one starting up??

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:27 PM

Not much has gone on at the site. Although yesterday the gate was open and it looked like there were a couple of construction crew members scattered across. I was driving to work so I didnt get a good glimpse.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 6:29 PM

Been watching this one for the past couple days. Bit of activity going on. Really want this project to start already. Hopefully we will be seeing some action on this site in the next couple days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin