HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Sienna at the Thompson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It'll be a Knights Inn.
Nice. Hopefully their hourly rates will be reasonable. Maybe they can work out a promotional offer with the strip club, like a discount at each if you pay for them as a package deal.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 11:52 AM

Construction is set to begin this summer. The landscape architect for the project has a Facebook album for 5th & Brazos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6060695&type=3

The pool level from the link:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:56 PM

Could the hotel component be one of the three hotels White Lodging plans to announce this year for DT? If not White, I'd like to see maybe the Ritz-Carlton since it's one of the few we currently don't have DT. Either way good news to see this project moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:38 PM
Honored Member

It's interesting that the FB page doesn't have any illustrations of the exterior of the building, as it could indicate that this still hasn't been finalized.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
It's interesting that the FB page doesn't have any illustrations of the exterior of the building, as it could indicate that this still hasn't been finalized.
Probably because that is TBG's facebook page, not the building's. TBG is only doing the landscaping so they wouldn't be posting pictures of the exterior unless they got permission from the architects. That being said, it could very well be a work in progress.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:54 PM
Member since 2001

Still find it funny that a hotel operator has yet to be named for this project...considering Magellan plans a 2015 start for construction.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 9:54 PM

These indeed will be rental units according to my source.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:35 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Could the hotel component be one of the three hotels White Lodging plans to announce this year for DT? If not White, I'd like to see maybe the Ritz-Carlton since it's one of the few we currently don't have DT. Either way good news to see this project moving forward.
Me too, but, The Ritz would never be apart of a "for rent" tower. Not many higher-end hotel brands would (at least in Austin).

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:21 PM
Member since 2001

Just noticed that Magellan is developing a new, three-tiered, mixed-use tower in downtown Chicago called Wanda Vista. It will become the city's third tallest at 1,144 ft. and designed by Studio Gang Architects. Studio Gang designed Aqua, another of Magellan's developments.

I believe it is safe to assume that Magellan is maximizing its resources in the development of this project, as it is far more high profile than anything they are working on here in little 'ole Austin. Having said that, their may be a chance any 5th & Brazos project may not come to fruition (at least one being developed by Magellan).

Let's look at the timeline: big announcement where Magellan said they are "not afraid of going tall" in Austin; initial proposal was for a 47-story hotel/condo tower; project downsized to 36 floors and changed residential units to rental; still no announcement of a hotel operator; etc...

The trajectory seems to be downward. I would rather they walk away from the project than develop something "cheaper" than this one has already become.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Let's look at the timeline: big announcement where Magellan said they are "not afraid of going tall" in Austin; initial proposal was for a 47-story hotel/condo tower; project downsized to 36 floors and changed residential units to rental; still no announcement of a hotel operator; etc...

The trajectory seems to be downward. I would rather they walk away from the project than develop something "cheaper" than this one has already become.
I see what you mean. I'm not sure why they would chop off 10 floors. Maybe they weren't expecting the onslaught of residential development to break ground before them (5th + West, Northshore, Seaholm, Bowie, and eventually Proper and the Independent), and decided they wouldn't be able to generate the amount of market share they initially anticipated. I did find it strange that Carlins said they preferred taller towers and then opted to blend in with the rest of the 400 footers, instead of building a sleeker, 550 ft tower. This one really feels like a "go" to me though based on the newly released renderings, the landscape company indicating a summer groundbreaking, and the fact that the existing structures on the site have already been demolished (unlike 99 Trinity). Carlins seemed genuinely excited about making an imprint on Austin, and my source said it was "definitely happening" just a few weeks ago.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:31 PM
Meh

Any tower that goes up on that lot is going to have major visibility from I-35 and any views from the east. I hope the design is worth it, and so far I haven't been able to say that with this project. You can't go blocking a building like Frost that has become the city's de facto skyscraper icon with something mediocre.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Any tower that goes up on that lot is going to have major visibility from I-35 and any views from the east. I hope the design is worth it, and so far I haven't been able to say that with this project. You can't go blocking a building like Frost that has become the city's de facto skyscraper icon with something mediocre.
Mediocre ("blah") is about the absolute best you will get with this tower. There is still a chance it falls into the subpar category. I agree with Goldenboot and hope they walk away instead of building the tower in its current form.

This design is quite shocking since Magellan has developed some really sleek and interesting towers.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 3:43 AM
Meh

I moved the population posts to the census thread.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210438

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:39 PM

The start date is now listed as early 2016 on the Emerging Project List that was released today:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2015-05-31.pdf

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 10:34 PM
Meh

I moved the residential tower posts to the Downtown Austin Market News thread. It was closest one I could think of that matched the subject.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=189526

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:04 PM
Member since 2001

Thanks Kev.

I'm really not sure if this project is going to happen. Magellan is in the process of developing Chicago's third-tallest tower (overall)...a $900 million, 390 unit, 250-room five-star hotel project.

Hell, as much as I love Austin, any measly 37-story cheap project here would be far in the back of my mind if I were in the midst of an almost billion dollar project in my home town.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:35 PM

So far no big projects have been cancelled, and some old ones have been resurrected post recession. But I think we are at the point where a handful of the current proposals may be put on HOLD. Even a boom town can only support so much higher end rental/condo product before there's a pause in development to let demand catch up. This one, Trinity Place (This seems to be the new name.) and the last Green Water tower are likely candidates IMO.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:34 AM

There is an extensive presentation - ~pages 67-102 - about this project in the backup file for the Design Commission meeting this Wednesday (07/29.) They are requesting a far increase from 8:1 to 19.7:1. It also lists this as 420' tall.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=235243

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:39 PM

I hope this building goes away. Something much taller and more aesthetic should go up here.

I cringe with the thought that one of the last sites in the CBD without a CVC encumbrance would go to a project like this. What a shame. Come strong or go home, Magellan! This is BY FAR their ugliest high-rise development.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I hope this building goes away. Something much taller and more aesthetic should go up here.

I cringe with the thought that one of the last sites in the CBD without a CVC encumbrance would go to a project like this. What a shame. Come strong or go home, Magellan! This is BY FAR their ugliest high-rise development.
You know, it does actually cost more for those high units if they were to build taller. We all agree it would be great if it were taller, but what makes you think the market would support a taller building?

Why throw rocks at Magellan when they're the one taking the risk, actually building the damn thing. I'd rather have a rational, value-add discussion about the expenses of going taller rather than a bunch of whining.

For example, did you know that different fire control systems are required for buildings over a certain level. That's why we have many buildings in the 400 ft. range.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin