HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 10:17 PM

No basketball/athletic type area. It would be inviting but would kill the beauty of the park.

Nice large open grass with a bit elevation changes would be great. Nothing crazy, just not flat.

A centre with a large classical fountain. Something like the Buckingham fountain in Chicago instead of the Bean. Please dear God not another abstract art... PLEASE!

Tree lined and propped up here and there. Plant some Elm trees in hopes of having some beautiful massive trees for future generations. My absolute favorite part of the area behind the Legislature.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
...cuz edmonton?

if they can't even get bathrooms right.. what makes you think they can tackle the challenges of a fountain?

besides, it's not like we could look after the big classic fountain we used to have...

http://www.larry-bolch.com/hdr/pages/HDR14.htm

Good point.

Damn I miss that waterfall. Imagine how it would look with the bridge lit up!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 7:45 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
No basketball/athletic type area. It would be inviting but would kill the beauty of the park.
Disagree. NYC has some amazingly beautiful mid-sized parks with both. We need some more active places Downtown.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:16 PM

With that in mind, maybe a skateboard park? I thought there was one planned behind the Milner library at one point.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:37 PM
Community Guy

I'd love that for Louise McKinney Park or in the North Edge.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 1:46 AM

What's wrong with having a skate park in the Central Park? It's one amenity that will be guaranteed plenty of usage.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:03 AM
Community Guy

I'd rather see it down at Kinsmen/LMP/QE park alongside some other sporting options.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:22 PM

For myself, a family-friendly park means everything, something that conveys safety and security. Without this degenerating into a "why we can't have nice things" discussion, I'd have to think that anything lesser than family-friendly will eventually fall short of making the grade.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:43 PM
Community Guy

What would you like to see in our upcoming #yegdt central #park? For me it is about active use ie. Bball, a place to throw a ball, maybe tennis/multi-use court a playground for kids/families, a central fountain for relaxation & a south facing cafe with #yegpatio.

www.edmonton.ca

http://www.sitelines.org/webatlas/va...ry-barnes.html

http://www.urbancincy.com/2010/06/ur...within-cities/

My own

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:36 PM
Community Guy

Share your vision for Downtown public places
July 11, 2018

Join in a Downtown Public Places drop-in engagement session to help build a vibrant, safe and welcoming downtown for everyone. Review the draft policy framework and concept plan, and share your thoughts on how we can create great downtown open spaces, parks and plazas.

Date: Saturday, July 14
Time: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Location: Michael Phair Park (by City Market), 10124 104 Street

Date: Monday, July 16
Time: 5 - 8 p.m.
Location: Downtown Edmonton Community League, 10042 103 Street

Date: Tuesday, July 31
Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Downtown public places provide space for Edmontonians to socialize, celebrate, recharge and live life. It is important that the public and stakeholders be involved in shaping the Downtown Public Places Plan to create a stronger, more relevant and effective plan. An online survey will be available from July 14 to September 14 on the project webpage.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/downtownpublicplaces

Media contact:
Ashish Mohan
Communications Advisor
Urban Form & Corporate Strategic Development
780-508-9528

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:35 PM
Unregistered User :(

I think it would be cool to have an outdoor pool, and/or a spray park.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:52 PM
Community Guy

Pool not so much in my opinion, but maybe a spray park and certainly a fountain.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:44 PM

3 vs 3 basketball is a pretty fun community event, a basketball court would be very nice in a Central Park. I don’t know where the current 3 on 3 tournaments are held but would be a great way to get people in the area. Can even use the courts for the street hockey tournaments as well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:35 AM

A sub park for Medical and Recreational cannabis users. If dogs can have a place to shit and play - surely there is room to accommodate smokers and medical cannabis users.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:23 AM
Community Guy

We should hear more about this in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:22 PM
Community Guy

The next most important project for Downtown Edmonton. These lots are critical to ensure that we can create something special. Please consider sending a letter to the Mayor and Council by Thursday of this week reminding them of the importance of acquiring ALL of these lots, not just a few.

Key Policy Reference:11.11
'Acquire land in the Central Warehouse Area to create a major public amenity for residents & businesses to serve as a catalyst for redevelopment'

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PD...ay_27_2010.pdf

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The next most important project for Downtown Edmonton. These lots are critical to ensure that we can create something special. Please consider sending a letter to the Mayor and Council by Thursday of this week reminding them of the importance of acquiring ALL of these lots, not just a few.

Key Policy Reference:11.11
'Acquire land in the Central Warehouse Area to create a major public amenity for residents & businesses to serve as a catalyst for redevelopment'

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PD...ay_27_2010.pdf

Does the plan envision also closing the adjoining alleys? That would certainly be a bonus, to the extent they can be so closed without cutting off existing rear property access points of adjoining properties. If the alleys aren't needed, then let's think now about incorporating them in the park development instead of staring at them afterward wondering what the go-forward point of the alleyways are.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

The alleys around properties 1-3 would be closed with the exception of the one abutting the Lamb property 186/187.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The alleys around properties 1-3 would be closed with the exception of the one abutting the Lamb property 186/187.
I am surprised the fire, ambulance and police services would not be concerned about closing the N-S alley on Block 6.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

It would only be a partial closure to the southern half.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton