HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 3:41 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Will it be permanent?
More details on the opening :

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ovo-v...ng-photos-2018

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 3:54 PM

It looks kinda stupid. Why so few items? Seems like it's all tshirts track pants and sweatshirts lmao.

Last edited by osirisboy; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
It looks kinda stupid. Why so few items? Seems like it's all tshirts track pants and sweatshirts lmao.
Good place to take IG selfies.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:55 PM

less stock on the floor makes customers think what they are buying is more exclusive, all retail tricks

look at off-white stores so much space and no stock

cdn.off---white.com

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:03 PM

Yeah that's another stupid store

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:48 PM

yup

According to the oomomo site it says there are two stores in BC, the new one at Lougheed and one in International Village, so did the yaya whatever japanese store convert to oomomo or did they also open to compete with them? anyone been down there lately?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yup

According to the oomomo site it says there are two stores in BC, the new one at Lougheed and one in International Village, so did the yaya whatever japanese store convert to oomomo or did they also open to compete with them? anyone been down there lately?
Retail Insider says it will eventually be rebranded. I assume Fairchild is also behind this franchise? (Daily Hive called it a sister company to the other brands)

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...tore-expansion

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:11 AM

Ok

I noticed the oomomo popup had a lot of Daiso stuff. Won't get to check it out till i get home in a couple weeks.

Now we just need a Miniso at Lougheed

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Now we just need a Miniso at Lougheed
That probably won't happen as apparently Miniso Canada has just filed for bankruptcy. Here's the story from Retail Insider. Looks spicy!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:53 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
if we give any more attention to Drake, Kayne will get mad. Vancouver does not need the wrath of Kanye. Please shut this thread down ASAP and worship all that is Ye

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
if we give any more attention to Drake, Kayne will get mad. Vancouver does not need the wrath of Kanye. Please shut this thread down ASAP and worship all that is Ye
I really don't get this: not about Kanye but the huge lineup. Does each person entering the store get a free Drake doll or something? At least people at Uncle Tetsu get to taste something yummy after.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
That probably won't happen as apparently Miniso Canada has just filed for bankruptcy. Here's the story from Retail Insider. Looks spicy!
Dollarama FTW!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
aww too bad

I wonder if China and Canada are at "war" now, imagine if they stopped all the students from coming over, so many ESL schools would leave a huge void downtown

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I really don't get this: not about Kanye but the huge lineup. Does each person entering the store get a free Drake doll or something? At least people at Uncle Tetsu get to taste something yummy after.
there was a limited edition collection by Takashi Murakami that was released for the opening. It sold out within hours. This is the same artist that the VAG extended his show and extended hours to the gallery because it was so popular and well attended.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:06 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't get huge lineups period.

(however, I did camp out over night for pink floyd tickets in 1994 ish)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I'll take sketchy Chinese business practices for $200, Alex.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:17 AM

Lens and Shutter stores close

Venerable photography chain grew out of a student venture at UBC in 1969

By Glen Korstrom | December 17, 2018

Lens and Shutter moved its Vancouver store to prime real estate at the corner of Granville Street and West Broadway last year |Twitter via @GranvilleStreet

All three stores in the Vancouver photography chain Lens and Shutter have … shuttered, and the owners have not responded to attempts by Business in Vancouver to find out what happened.

The closures have left some customers in the lurch, as one person posted on Reddit in November that Lens and Shutter had shut down and the company still had the person’s film in for processing.

Another customer, @eddycur92503372 on Twitter, tweeted in mid-November that his $211 purchase from Lens and Shutter’s online store did not arrive. Lens and Shutter's website is no longer functioning.

https://biv.com/article/2018/12/lens...ayj7VKwleHHBwI

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Lens and Shutter stores close

Venerable photography chain grew out of a student venture at UBC in 1969

By Glen Korstrom | December 17, 2018

Lens and Shutter moved its Vancouver store to prime real estate at the corner of Granville Street and West Broadway last year |Twitter via @GranvilleStreet

All three stores in the Vancouver photography chain Lens and Shutter have … shuttered, and the owners have not responded to attempts by Business in Vancouver to find out what happened.

The closures have left some customers in the lurch, as one person posted on Reddit in November that Lens and Shutter had shut down and the company still had the person’s film in for processing.

Another customer, @eddycur92503372 on Twitter, tweeted in mid-November that his $211 purchase from Lens and Shutter’s online store did not arrive. Lens and Shutter's website is no longer functioning.

https://biv.com/article/2018/12/lens...ayj7VKwleHHBwI
That's a shame. I liked shopping at there for camera gear, the guy there was fairly knowledgeable and honest as a salesperson.

But the new Granville location was never busy, and the interior was a bit dingy and dark... not an inviting location. I just knew the store from past experience at their old location.

I should have expected that they were in trouble; for one, 3 weeks ago, I wanted to buy a new camera that came out within the last 2 months, and when I went in, although the major camera retailers (Broadway Camera, Henry's and London Drugs) all had it in stock, they didn't and didn't know when they were getting any. Furthermore, they were liquidating their rental cameras and lenses as well.

Oh well. I'll be OK to shop at Henry's instead, as I know one of the sales people inside the store personally.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
there was a limited edition collection by Takashi Murakami that was released for the opening. It sold out within hours. This is the same artist that the VAG extended his show and extended hours to the gallery because it was so popular and well attended.
Oh that artist! I love his art display at VAG but to wear those colours on me would be out of the question, Drake sanctioned or otherwise. I guess there must be many fans of smiling flower floral prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
I don't get huge lineups period.

(however, I did camp out over night for pink floyd tickets in 1994 ish)
I think we all had our low moments....lol

As for Miniso, that's really too bad as I like the stores somewhat. I find them selling much better quality stuff than all the other budget shops. The design of the stores make them easy to dash in and grab certain necessities.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:11 PM

miniso has posted on its instagram that it reached a deal on december 13th and that things are normal.

Quote:
miniso.canadaMiniso Canada ANNOUNCEMENT: These news reports contain information that is either inaccurate or not true .we will continue to provide quality products and services to our customers! Thanks for your support and love! #minisocanada
full post: https://www.instagram.com/miniso.canada/?hl=en

from their twitter

https://twitter.com/minisocanada?lang=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy