HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:32 AM

Wondering if somebody can help me with Google Earth. Its not working on my laptop and it's driving me crazy. This has been going on for days now. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it a couple times and it still doesn't work. When I launch it, the start up tips box comes up and there is the icon comes up in the tool bar (where time and date pops up at bottom of screen), but the actual Earth screen won't come up. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 9:47 PM

Americans in Vancouver plan downtown protest on Thursday evening

Americans in Vancouver are organizing a downtown protest in the aftermath of US President Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

JOANNE LEE-YOUNG Updated: November 8, 2018

American citizens in Vancouver are planning a protest Thursday following the firing by U.S. President Donald Trump of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Plans are for a protest to be held at 5 p.m. in front of the U.S. consulate at 1075 West Pender St.

It will be linked to similar “massive ’emergency’ protests” in Toronto and Victoria as well as some 900 other cities across North America, according to organizers.

“The firing of Sessions is widely viewed as a possible attempt to obstruct the ongoing special counsel investigation being conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice and headed by former FBI director Robert Mueller,” said the organizers in a release.

The Mueller investigation is looking into alleged foreign government efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election and includes possible links between Trump’s campaign and the Russian government.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...wntown-protest

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:28 PM

I have been to Whistler the past 3 weekends. First time of the season was definitely a bust with only 9 runs open and long lineups. Basically you could only ski where they can make some snow. Our second time was last weekend and conditions had improved significantly and there were 25 runs open.

Yesterday was our third time up there and it was fantastic, as Whistler has been getting almost two meters of snow in the past 7 days! It was pure powder madness and snow was knee-deep in some ungroomed runs around Crystal Express. In the afternoon, they also managed to open up 7th Heaven for the first time this season and people had so much fun enjoying first tracks of the year in the deep powder glades.

Yesterday was also the first day the new Blackcomb Gondola was in use. I am not too happy about it, as it is cumbersome to remove your skis at the midstation, which is slightly below where Solar Coaster used to be. It wasn't super busy and it seemed like they aren't filling every gondola at the bottom in anticipation of midstation boardings. It is a fast ride up, but there was no good reason for them to remove Solar Coaster, as the gondola runs a different line up and they would have only had to re-arrange the top to accommodate both gondola and the old chair lift - totally doable and likely not even more expensive, should they have scratched a midstation from the plan.

The new four-person Catskinner Express on the other hand is excellent and a new hidden gem on Blackcomb (on Whistler side Garbanzo Express is the other hidden gem). The new 6-person Emerald Express is doing a decent job, but lineups can still be horrible. They should have added another 4-person express chair and kept the old one to run in parallel.

I hope they will continue lift investments and I am so happy that the season improved so much after first few weeks. With a meter more snow in the forecast, skiing should be superb over Christmas!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 6:42 AM

THey named a condo building in brazil - Vancouver

Quote:
The Vancouver City Building features 116 apartments in 4 per floor.

Standard Type Apartments with 237.86 m², 4 suites and 4 parking spaces.
Duplex Penthouse with 457,06 m², 5 suites and 5 parking spaces.

Visit the booth located at Rua Dr. Brasil Salim Melis, 180 - Southern Islands neighborhood, in Ribeirao Preto and get to know all the details of the City of Vancouver.
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 7:28 AM

....And it's basic as hell.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Video Link
Given how many buildings in China have a Vancouver name in them, it was only a matter of time.

And for the record, that proposal in Brazil should have been the called "The Edmonton... on a good day". The windows alone are certainly small enough to justify that comparison.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
....And it's basic as hell.
Given how much sun and rain they get I suspect that no one wants large windows. Look at how covered the balconies are.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 7:26 PM

lol yeah was going to say Edmonton!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Video Link
Credit where it's due, they packed a lot of information into 7 seconds.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:54 PM

Vancouver\s West End looks so dense and compact from some angles like this one.

And then you see it from this angle and think how much more dense it could be or how much more could be taller it could be.

leave the west end as is or make it higher?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Vancouver\s West End looks so dense and compact from some angles like this one.

And then you see it from this angle and think how much more dense it could be or how much more could be taller it could be.

leave the west end as is or make it higher?
Densify the South that has the water view to match that at the North?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Densify the South that has the water view to match that at the North?
I think central West-End needs more densifying.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
bbbbbut the West End is denser than NYC!!!!!!!

(one of the stupidest [and probably the most statistically manipulable] urban legends ever perpetuated by this city, I have to say)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:02 PM

Is it really necessary to quote large pictures right in the next reply?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Is it really necessary to quote large pictures right in the next reply?
No, but is a nice picture.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post

(one of the stupidest [and probably the most statistically manipulable] urban legends ever perpetuated by this city, I have to say)
bbbbbbut it's true! It is certainly denser than the Liberty and Staten Islands, or maybe Queens....mostly underdeveloped areas of NYC

It upsets me that central West End (or anywhere a block away from Robson, Denman and Davie Streets) is not included in the higher-density OCP or have the potential to include mixed-use developments in the future.

Even when allowing Davie Street to go taller, planners do not insist on having a full stretch of commercial/retail street for future developments. Such a shame.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:51 AM

Seoul looks amazing, Vancouver should learn some lessons

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post

I genuinely feel that the downtown peninsula should have a minimum height of 5 or 6 useable floors. There are stretches along Granville, Robson, Denman, Davie (these streets specifically) and throughout the west end that are only 3 stories tall. Again especially on Granville, Robson, Davie and Denman it is quite pathetic how it doesn't achieve density. Sure it's busy as they're high traffic streets for pedestrians but there are plenty of stretches that are only 1 floor tall.

Ideally on Granville I would like to magically add 1-2 floors of Office/Retail space on the low-rises and maybe 1-2 floors ontop of that of rental apartments (not social housing) while still keeping the first floor as retail. Granville is a noisier street but I think that the addition of office spaces would add a positive shot of life into the area again.

On Robson Street I would again add 1-2 floors ontop of the low rises of Office/Retail, but I would also be more aggressive with adding apartments, and rezone some sections for taller towers. Again keeping to a 5 floor minimum, Robson street is quieter so we can add more rental apartments and maybe some more condo towers (of which, some are already proposed?)

Davie street is already getting a make-over which is nice. But I would like to see that density continue specifically around the Jim Deva plaza. Davie Village has been made Davie Village because of the businesses so I would like to see a stronger push on retail on Davie Street itself with a stronger emphasis on the LGBT sub-culture. Sure Jim Deva plaza has the rainbow intersections; why not the entire street of Davie? For me, Davie street should be colourful with the new additions to the neighbourhood. And for the sections with the nightclubs and the 'louder' parts of Davie, you can always zone for more office space ontop of it.

Denman street is an example of a very busy street with very low density. Most of it is only 1-2 floors tall with the exceptions being around the Denman mall. I say that a combination of boutique hotels, offices, and rental apartments should be added to increase effective use of the street.

Just some thoughts of mine.... Should we make a fantasy re-zoning thread ?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:48 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I genuinely feel that the downtown peninsula should have a minimum height of 5 or 6 useable floors. There are stretches along Granville, Robson, Denman, Davie (these streets specifically) and throughout the west end that are only 3 stories tall. Again especially on Granville, Robson, Davie and Denman it is quite pathetic how it doesn't achieve density. Sure it's busy as they're high traffic streets for pedestrians but there are plenty of stretches that are only 1 floor tall.

Ideally on Granville I would like to magically add 1-2 floors of Office/Retail space on the low-rises and maybe 1-2 floors ontop of that of rental apartments (not social housing) while still keeping the first floor as retail. Granville is a noisier street but I think that the addition of office spaces would add a positive shot of life into the area again.

On Robson Street I would again add 1-2 floors ontop of the low rises of Office/Retail, but I would also be more aggressive with adding apartments, and rezone some sections for taller towers. Again keeping to a 5 floor minimum, Robson street is quieter so we can add more rental apartments and maybe some more condo towers (of which, some are already proposed?)

Davie street is already getting a make-over which is nice. But I would like to see that density continue specifically around the Jim Deva plaza. Davie Village has been made Davie Village because of the businesses so I would like to see a stronger push on retail on Davie Street itself with a stronger emphasis on the LGBT sub-culture. Sure Jim Deva plaza has the rainbow intersections; why not the entire street of Davie? For me, Davie street should be colourful with the new additions to the neighbourhood. And for the sections with the nightclubs and the 'louder' parts of Davie, you can always zone for more office space ontop of it.

Denman street is an example of a very busy street with very low density. Most of it is only 1-2 floors tall with the exceptions being around the Denman mall. I say that a combination of boutique hotels, offices, and rental apartments should be added to increase effective use of the street.

Just some thoughts of mine.... Should we make a fantasy re-zoning thread ?

Basically my thoughts eactly, however there needs to be better transit in and out of the West end, possibly widen some streets. Having lived there near Denman, it can be a nightmare to get out of if you need to be somewhere outside of the Peninsula, especially during the busy hours. (almost all day now)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 9:05 PM

I was thinking about this last night. The west end could be more like the Upper West Side of NY. Take Jervis and build it up and add some retail/commercial space. Like a good sized Whole Foods right in the middle of Jervis between Davie and Robson. Cafes, restaurants, etc along Jervis.

I was watching this video and it is so quiet

Video Link

In contrast, Yaletown has really become something and has its own thing going on now, the Canada line station has really pushed it where it needed to help it feel established I think. They've done a good mix of residential, retail and office etc. Lots of pedestrian action.

This video compared to the Jervis one just shows how much better it is.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion