HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:59 AM

Diner en blanc 2018

Video Link

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Diner en blanc 2018

Video Link
Interesting. $50 fee is a bit steep for an event where you bring your own food, chairs, and a folding table. Probably expect a lot of people take selfies en masse - rain or shine. Also, it appears to be an unauthorized gathering but the city only allows it in good faith due to past gatherings being satisfactory.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 7:44 PM

not so much nightlife but looks pretty cool

Photos: Your first look inside Metro Vancouver’s new and captivating Titanic exhibition
by Tammy Kwan on June 22nd, 2018 at 5:45 PM

Quote:
106 years later, some of the ship’s artifacts have made its way to Metro Vancouver, giving those in the city a chance to delve into the fascinating history of the renowned disaster and its non-fiction tales.

Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition opens tomorrow (June 23) at Lipont Place (4211 Number 3 Road, Richmond) and runs through January 11, 2019. Produced by Premier Exhibitions (headquartered in Vancouver), this attraction has travelled to many international cities like Las Vegas, Paris, London, Melbourne, and Guangzhou.

https://www.straight.com/arts/109389...nic-exhibition

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:18 AM

Vancouver is getting a MASSIVE new winter festival inspired by the North Pole

DH Vancouver Staff Sep 19, 2018

Quote:
Organizers are proposing the following attractions:

50 inspired outdoor huts along Main Street
A temporary 180-ft-long, 30-ft-high tube park slide with four sliding lanes will be built
Mystical ice worlds featuring a Yeti, Snow Queen, and Ice Elves
A Frozen River for ice skating will be created along the backside of Mystical Worlds to allow attendees to skate along and enjoy the light displays
15 food trucks
A 60-ft diameter dome will be used as Santa’s Workshop with craft stations for kids
An 8,000-sq-ft entertainment tent will be programmed with bands and choirs on a small stage
A classic-like Carousel will feature beautifully painted horses that move up and down as the ride rotates
The festival will also be combining technology and exploration, with an interactive app suitable for kids and adults alike — with festive prizes to be won.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...-festival-2018

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:55 PM

You can experience living in The Grinch’s “Whoville” this winter in this BC village

By Elana Shepert - September 27, 2018

Quote:
Harrison’s full Christmas event list includes:
Lights on the Lake (November 24th – January 28th)
Christmas Tree Trail (November 23rd – January 13th)
Magic of Christmas, including breakfast with Santa (December 1st)
Ol’ Fashioned Christmas at Kilby Historic Site (December 8th & 9th)
CP Holiday Train (Dates will be released in mid-October)
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...ings-whoville/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:22 PM

New massive Karaoke club opening at the old Red Robin on Broadway. This looks pretty cool, glad to see that space being used:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/prive...-bar-vancouver

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:22 AM

The Lost Souls Parade is Tonight (October 27) 7 pm near Brittania school.

http://www.dustyflowerpotcabaret.com/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:10 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:47 PM

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:46 AM

i missed lumiere but nice to see it use the plaza at the gallery

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i missed lumiere but nice to see it use the plaza at the gallery

Video Link
It really brings "life" onto downtown Georgia street, underscoring the plaza as the "Trafalgar Square" so to speak, of Vancouver. The plaza revamp brings more people and more color.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 1:15 PM

Spent the weekend in Osaka.

IMO it has one of the best entertainment districts in the world.

The dotonbori district in Namba (and surrounding areas).

Everything you could ask for, countless night clubs (some occupying up to 6 floors with alternating dance and lounge floors) open until 5, bright and animated lights / screens which help bring life to the area on such a mid winter night, restaurants and bars varying from tiny shops that seat no more than 4 people where one can buy a meal or a drink for only a few bucks to the fanciest establishments one could imagine. It is such a great variety that makes its such a fun area to party or simply enjoy the people watching.

Slept for only about 5 hours the entire weekend

Also not panhandled or harassed by a single homeless person the entire time.

I took these pictures while still sober around 6 pm, so it isn't anywhere near its full mass of party goers yet. Many businesses are not open yet.

Dotonbori Welcomes You! by Ian, on Flickr

Osaka Night by Ian, on Flickr

Namba Lights by Ian, on Flickr

Namba Lights by Ian, on Flickr

Dotonbori Canal by Ian, on Flickr

Glico Man! by Ian, on Flickr

This is the "Glico Man" and is a famous site in Osaka. Always countless tourists / people taking their selfies next to it. it is also a great meeting spot for gathering with friends / first dates.

Selling Medicine in Dotonbori by Ian, on Flickr

This is essentially a Shoppers Drug Mart, and yes, they have dancing girls at this location.

Selling Medicine in Dotonbori by Ian, on Flickr

I know Vancouver will never meet this level, but a little more flare in this direction (especially around Robson / Granville and the Stadiums) would be nice...

I wish Vancouver's mass of Asian population would start paying off a little more in such urban elements.

Also these main party streets are largely pedestrian only, but they do allow local service / delivery vehicles and taxis in some locations.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 2:04 PM

I think your last line there really hits the nail on the head. To encourage pedestrians, make the streets pedestrians only. This allows a mass of people to be comfortable out and about at all times of the day.

Have also visited the area and its not quite my cup of tea, but agreed that it really does have something for everyone at all budget levels.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
I think your last line there really hits the nail on the head. To encourage pedestrians, make the streets pedestrians only. This allows a mass of people to be comfortable out and about at all times of the day.

Have also visited the area and its not quite my cup of tea, but agreed that it really does have something for everyone at all budget levels.
Oh I understand that it is not for everyone, hence I would never push for all of downtown to be like this, but for those who do enjoy this atmosphere (there are many) it would be nice to have a select district of two like it. (or at least one or two such intersections connected by a pedestrian only street / plaza). This could have been around the stadiums but that ship has sailed. The only real option now would be Granville, especially between (and including) the Robson and Georgia intersections.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

I wish Vancouver's mass of Asian population would start paying off a little more in such urban elements.

LOL, and I wish Vancouver's mass of European population would start paying off as well. Where's the quaint British village atmosphere in our small towns, Where's the Irish craic at our pubs? I'm waiting for Italian Piazzas to pop up overnight in North Burnaby as well. I mean you guys are all descendant from them and are all the same right?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:33 AM

they should have something like Holey Moley, its like bar where you play mini golf, its a chain in Australia

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cine...vancouver-2019
Cineplex to open massive new entertainment centre in downtown Vancouver
Open to 3am perhaps

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Open to 3am perhaps
Nice to see along that desolate strip of Granville. Will this one open before Brentwood?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Open to 3am perhaps
Having new cinemas that will compete with their own cinena complex a few blocks away on Burrard at Scotiabank...I'm trying to understand the logic. The reason the cinemas on Granville (and in once this very building) were originally closed in the 2000s and 2010s was because of a gradual decline in casual cinema-going, high ticket prices, and high rents. None of those things has changed - in fact, some of them are worse now. So why would now be the right time to go back into the cinema business at this location?

Having said that, I do like the idea of the alternative entertainment options - Granville really needs this, as it is naturally a focal point for entertainment, but has too few options.

Bowling: yes (hopefully a "proper" full-size modern bowling alley). VR games: Big yes (I recently took the family to the new one at Broadway and Cambie and it is so much fun). More restaurants...meh, not bad per se, but I'd rather have something else. I guess you have to have some food options if there's cinemas. Old-style arcades...hmm, I can't see people paying for that experience any more considering you can get all the classic 8 bit games on your phone now (does anybody still go to the ratty arcades a little further down Granville that has Time Crisis et al any more?).

And hopefully they programme the cinema to have alternative films to what they have at Scotiabank - for example, arthouse films, foreign films, small-release films, etc.

I wish them luck, but wow, that's been more than half a decade to go back to where they started.

EDIT: Apparently I didn't read enough. If there's no actual cinema screens in the complex then great - they have the Scotiabank around the corner as mentioned. There's also mention of a 646-person "concert venue" - in reality, does that mean a superclub, or is it a more formal event for mid-size music concerts - something of that size is desperately needed!

Last edited by djh; Jan 23, 2019 at 8:34 PM. Reason: More info.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:53 AM

It's a big site, I figure they'll be able to add a few VIP theatres, those are big money makers for them. Which they do not have at Scotiabank, they have Fifth Avenue as VIP but it isn't truly "VIP" like the ones at Marine Gatewqay. Great choice and evolution of the former Granville 7.

"Nearly two decades ago, Famous Players, now owned by Cineplex, envisioned an ambitious entertainment centre for Paramount Theatre — now known as Scotiabank Theatre. The original plans entailed 16 theatre auditoriums, an IMAX theatre, a 40-lane bowling alley, an indoor ice rink, 84,000-sq-ft of retail, 29,000-sq-ft of restaurant space, a large arcade, space for the National Film Board archive, a major hotel, and residential space.

However, after the property changed hands, the project’s entertainment complex scope was reduced to a smaller theatre and only ground-level retail and restaurants."

Was wondering if anyone has a link/resource for this original plan for Famous Players, I can remember it briefly, would like to see more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment