HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:52 AM

HM Comer Renovation, New Residence Hall, and Lakeside Dining Renovation, completed

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2...veral-projects

By Ed Enoch

Published in The Tuscaloosa News
8/8/18

Great slideshow of the completed projects. HM Comer looks really good now. UA Engineering now has a beautiful front door.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:19 PM

Bama Blitz just started. If you're not familiar with this it's an inspiring online fundraising event for alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends to come together and support The University of Alabama. Using the power of social media and crowdfunding, you can give back and pay forward in support of your favorite cause, college or program.

It's only for a short time though. Bama Blitz will begin at noon CST on April 10 and end at 8:31 p.m. on April 11, lasting 1 day, 8 hours and 31 minutes in honor of the University’s founding year.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:22 AM

Moved out of state, but still trying to keep up with what's going on oncampus and in T-Town. I saw this rendering of Tutwiler and was interested. Good gateway to the campus and compliments what they've done there on Bryant Dr the last few years.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:25 PM

Another bonus is the grassy plaza that will be between the new Tutwiler Hall and Paul Bryant Drive. That area needed more green space plus it will become prime tailgating space.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Another bonus is the grassy plaza that will be between the new Tutwiler Hall and Paul Bryant Drive. That area needed more green space plus it will become prime tailgating space.

Do you know what they will build where Tutwiler now stands?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:53 PM

You guys have any thoughts on the Coleman Coliseum renovation? I'm a donor and this overhaul is long overdue. Wish we could have gotten a new arena, but this is exciting to say the least.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:08 PM

[QUOTE=TheCapstone;8548345]You guys have any thoughts on the Coleman Coliseum renovation? I'm a donor and this overhaul is long overdue. Wish we could have gotten a new arena, but this is exciting to say the least.

I think it looks fantastic. I understand everyone's gripe about it not being a brand new arena but construction costs are astronomical now compared to when Auburn and Ole Miss built theirs. I wish they would do this before the football renovations. I don't think we really need the football stadium upgrades to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:29 PM

Completely agree, but unfortunately there are still many "FOG's" (Football Only Gumps) that wouldn't have it any other way.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 3:23 AM

What is the actual month and year that the new arena will be completed?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
You guys have any thoughts on the Coleman Coliseum renovation? I'm a donor and this overhaul is long overdue. Wish we could have gotten a new arena, but this is exciting to say the least.

I personally think it is wonderful. These days, college arenas outside of cities like Lexington and Louisville are adjusting their capacity to reflect demand.

Personally, I don't want a new arena for UA. I've always loved Coleman and its unique shape. I really like the proposed changes... more students closer to the action brings more attention from outside Tuscaloosa, and also engages the students further into the game.

EDIT: Also, even thought Coleman is a quality facility in general it still looks dated when one looks up from from their seat. The paneling and popcorn surface don't just mitigate noise, it also reminds me of the era during which it was built... how old is it now, 50+? Good thing is, with the large volume of open space there is alot to work with.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 12:41 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I cannot believe how Culverhouse Jr. has embarrassed The University... He wants to claim that his remarks about the State's abortion 'ban' (which in itself is a covfefe of a law) are the reason The University is returning money to him. This Florida real estate investor insulted the law school's dean, and tried to wield intimate (that's a word he used) influence on the way the law school should be run and the people that it should employ.

I'm sorry. This man benefited from an education at UA, and while his donations are tremendously appreciated, it does not mean that he gets to bully THE DEAN. And he certainly should not be weilding any influence that he thinks he has to challenge the State's ridiculous abortion law, that MANY UA School of Law faculty explicitely spoke out against!

"Mega-donors" should not be able to even think that they have a say in the way a program is run or how faculty should be hired. I DO think that their guidance should be taken into concideration, but by no means should their opinions be included as official justification for any changes in any department.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
I cannot believe how Culverhouse Jr. has embarrassed The University... He wants to claim that his remarks about the State's abortion 'ban' (which in itself is a covfefe of a law) are the reason The University is returning money to him. This Florida real estate investor insulted the law school's dean, and tried to wield intimate (that's a word he used) influence on the way the law school should be run and the people that it should employ.

I'm sorry. This man benefited from an education at UA, and while his donations are tremendously appreciated, it does not mean that he gets to bully THE DEAN. And he certainly should not be weilding any influence that he thinks he has to challenge the State's ridiculous abortion law, that MANY UA School of Law faculty explicitely spoke out against!

"Mega-donors" should not be able to even think that they have a say in the way a program is run or how faculty should be hired. I DO think that their guidance should be taken into concideration, but by no means should their opinions be included as official justification for any changes in any department.
Fortunately, he is NOT an alum of UA. He is just the son of a huge alum. So the betrayal is not quite as stark as it seems. Last week UA released emails proving that it was headed toward returning the donation BEFORE the jerk made his asinine abortion comments.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post

Thought the university handled in well in returning his donation and immediately taking his name off the school of law sign.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Do you know what they will build where Tutwiler now stands?
Looks like it will be some green space, which I think is a good idea. I doubt it will become tailgating space. More likely a VIP area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:05 AM

I think I saw that the old Bryce campus has been dubbed the "Peter Bryce Preserve". Is that right?

Anway, the campus is enormous now. More than 2000 acres I believe. I hope Crimson Ride is functional by now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:58 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Looks like it will be some green space, which I think is a good idea. I doubt it will become tailgating space. More likely a VIP area.
The University has done well as it has grown. The parking decks that have built around Sorority Row will certainly accomodate the campus residents in the immediate vicinity while the large J. Tutwiler lot becomes construction central. Afterwards, I imagine The University will build retail structures along Bryant in front of the existing J. Tutwiler Hall with greenspace taking up most of the land formerly occupied by existing J. Tutwiler Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I think I saw that the old Bryce campus has been dubbed the "Peter Bryce Preserve". Is that right?

Anway, the campus is enormous now. More than 2000 acres I believe. I hope Crimson Ride is functional by now.
The University plans to preserve a large majority of the Bryce campus as greenspace.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:45 PM

This makes my blood boil. There is absolutely NO reason for us to play second fiddle in this state when it comes to in-state enrollment. I have witnessed this over the past ten years unfortunately. I hope these new in state scholarships will help but I just don't know

https://www.al.com/news/2019/08/aubu...-students.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:01 AM

UA Admin seems to be aware of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
This makes my blood boil. There is absolutely NO reason for us to play second fiddle in this state when it comes to in-state enrollment. I have witnessed this over the past ten years unfortunately. I hope these new in state scholarships will help but I just don't know

https://www.al.com/news/2019/08/aubu...-students.html
I am not happy about it either. However, it looks like the admin is committed to reversing this trend. Just this week, the admin announced new scholarships for students with GPA's of less than 3.5. I have mixed feelings about rewarding intelligent students with higher ACT scores, but lower performing GPAs (3 to 3.49 through mid senior year of high school). But this, plus the earlier changes to in state scholarships, should help reverse the trend Auburn has enjoyed. UA's scholarships, for both in and out of state students, are now far more generous than Auburn's. See https://scholarships.ua.edu/in-state/ and https://scholarships.ua.edu/out-of-state/ If you compare to Auburn's, the difference is quite dramatic. http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/un...e/freshman.php Spread the word!

Still, I wonder if the admin has done any research to try to ascertain WHY Auburn has managed to once again, enroll more in state students. Is it a reaction to the huge influx of out of state students? Or the explosion in Greek mansions not available to middle and lower class students? Perceptions of Tuscaloosa as more dangerous?

I find it particularly galling that Auburn now enrolls more students from Madison County. Auburn has an office at the Space Center, but after UA opened an office there, UAH lobbied hard for UA to close it. Witt backed down and closed it. Doesn't seem fair for Auburn to have a strong presence there if UA can't. With UA now enrolling just as many engineering students as Auburn, it just does not make sense. The quality of engineering students who enroll at UA is also now superior to that of Auburn looking at avg ACT scores. So it is just strange that Auburn dominates Madison.

Last edited by atlanta68; Aug 18, 2019 at 3:16 AM. Reason: added new content

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 8:39 PM

Always remember, Auburn is the University that is famous for their Sociology program that allowed athletes to take courses with no attendance and no tests. They just got A's for signing up. The NCAA ruled it OK because ALL Auburn students had access to and took the same courses with easy A's. Then, their Public Administration program was exposed for the same type of policy. Also, they have had a spotty history with SACS accreditation. I want Alabama to recruit the best students, not, the students who want an easy degree. BAMA will win this battle in the long run. The media always loves to attack the power and the power in this state is The University of Alabama. You are about to finally see the Engineering School at UA get its due. Stay Tuned. RTR

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Always remember, Auburn is the University that is famous for their Sociology program that allowed athletes to take courses with no attendance and no tests. They just got A's for signing up. The NCAA ruled it OK because ALL Auburn students had access to and took the same courses with easy A's. Then, their Public Administration program was exposed for the same type of policy. Also, they have had a spotty history with SACS accreditation. I want Alabama to recruit the best students, not, the students who want an easy degree. BAMA will win this battle in the long run. The media always loves to attack the power and the power in this state is The University of Alabama. You are about to finally see the Engineering School at UA get its due. Stay Tuned. RTR
Expand on that. Sounds interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast