HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:31 PM
Community Guy

Keep it or change it, but not some hybrid BS.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:08 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I'd like to see a few changes in the game but not make it exactly like the NFL. Rules like:
-4 downs
-Add in fair catches on punts/kickoffs
-Shrink endzones from 20 yards to 15 but keep goal posts on the goal line like normal.
-Remove the rouge point.

-Keep remaining standard field dimensions.
-Keep 12th player/extra receiver.
-Keep standard play clock.
-Keep 1-foot in bounds catches.

I'm sure there are other rules from the Canadian game worth keeping but I'd prefer a hybrid of the better Canadian rules but mix in a few of the better American ones.
I have no idea why anyone would want fair catches. What is the appeal of someone just standing there doing nothing vs. every punt being run back? It also eliminates one avenue for Canadian football to attract exciting players that the tedious NFL rules have no use for.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I'd like to see a few changes in the game but not make it exactly like the NFL. Rules like:
-4 downs
-Add in fair catches on punts/kickoffs
-Shrink endzones from 20 yards to 15 but keep goal posts on the goal line like normal.
-Remove the rouge point.

-Keep remaining standard field dimensions.
-Keep 12th player/extra receiver.
-Keep standard play clock.
-Keep 1-foot in bounds catches.

I'm sure there are other rules from the Canadian game worth keeping but I'd prefer a hybrid of the better Canadian rules but mix in a few of the better American ones.
I have to really disagree that those rules are better, you'll have to explain what you think the actual improvements would be.

4 downs - why? The game is exciting with three. If you made it 15 yard for a first down with 4 downs maybe, but 10 yards with 4 is too easy.

The fair catch makes kickoffs boring. Returns can be some of the most exciting plays of the game. I'd allow a fair catch only if it meant that playr got a free kick from hand like in rugby. Otherwise it just takes away a facet of the game.

Why a smaller end zone? I like it big, there is lots of room for exciting plays to develop. I'd be okay with setting a minimum and maximum an letting teams mark it out as it suits them, but taking away space just because it's more like the NFL seems counterproductive to encouraging an exciting passing game.

The rouge - Not getting rid of it, but I'd be okay with only giving it if the ball is actually returnable i.e. has to land in the end zone. The goal line is the goal line, if the other team gets the ball past it they deserve points.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want fair catches. What is the appeal of someone just standing there doing nothing vs. every punt being run back? It also eliminates one avenue for Canadian football to attract exciting players that the tedious NFL rules have no use for.
Oh yeah. The no-yards rule is one of the best things about Canadian football.

Why anyone would want to replace that with the stupid NFL dance around the rolling ball by the kicking team, is beyond me.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 2:37 PM

^ The success of Grey Cup Hamilton totally hinges, in my view at least, on whether or not The Arkells will be the halftime act.

I mean come on, they even have a song that perfectly captures the feel of going to a Ticats game...

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The success of Grey Cup Hamilton totally hinges, in my view at least, on whether or not The Arkells will be the halftime act.

I mean come on, they even have a song that perfectly captures the feel of going to a Ticats game...

Video Link
Love it!

I've been to every stadium save McMahon and BMO and have never ever had a bad time. C'mon kids! Give it a try, you just might like it!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:54 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^That video is perfect.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 9:15 PM

https://3downnation.com/2020/12/27/f...field-in-2022/

Founding partner Gary Drummond: Atlantic Schooners ‘could hit the field in 2022’

Schooner Sports and Entertainment founding partner Gary Drummond remains optimistic about building a football stadium in Halifax.

Last December, Halifax Regional Municipality debated the proposed stadium in Atlantic Canada and it ended with council voting 10-7 in favour of funding $20 million for the project. However, lots of government resources across the country have been redirected towards the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We’re more optimistic than we’ve ever been, probably on the stadium itself,” Drummond told CBC reporter Haley Ryan.

Ryan reports: If all goes well, Drummond said the Schooners could hit the field in 2022 in Moncton, where there is a stadium in place. The plan is to relocate the Schooners once a stadium is built in Halifax.

Mike Savage was reelected as Halifax mayor in October for a third term. That could be key for SSE as Savage has been a public proponent of building a stadium in the capital city of Nova Scotia.

“We would have put $20 million in and we would’ve gotten it back in property tax. In essence, it wouldn’t have cost anything,” Savage said in September.

“We would’ve had a stadium for generations to come. I haven’t met a business person yet who doesn’t think that’s a good investment.”

One year ago, Halifax municipal government directed the Chief Administrative Officer to negotiate a one-time contribution of $20 million towards construction costs of a community stadium, payable upon substantial completion of the facility.

“The philosophy on how these sort of facilities get built goes back to … the Colosseum in Rome. I mean, the government built that,” Drummond said.

The contribution agreement with the stadium proponent, Schooners Sports and Entertainment, is subject to the selection of a site with optimal access to major transportation routes and necessary infrastructure acceptable to the Halifax Regional Council.

SSE amended their initial proposal for a community stadium which would have seating capacity for 24,000 — 12,000 permanent seating and 12,000 temporary seating. The cost of the stadium is estimated to be in the range of $100 million to $110 million including the purchase of land.

The funding for a one-time payment of $20 million was projected to be available in the HRM strategic capital reserve in 2024, prior to the coronavirus hitting Canada. Total HRM cost of the recommendation would be $20 million, which is considerably less than the costs of the original options proposed by SSE of $41 to $79 million.

The stadium would pay full property tax of approximately $8.7 to $28.7 million over a ten to twenty-year period. Staff has been clear in discussions to date with HRM that it will not take any financial, construction, and operational risks.

Currently, Drummond believes it would take approximately one year for public stadium funding to be secured and to put an Atlantic CFL team in place.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:44 PM

CFL in Halifax project officially died today

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/13/h...adium-project/

Halifax Regional Municipality decides to ‘discontinue’ Atlantic Schooners stadium project

The Halifax Regional Municipality has hit the pause button on the stadium project led by Schooners Sports and Entertainment.

CTV reporter Paul Hollingsworth reports that, given all has been quiet during the pandemic, the HRM funding stadium project has been shelved by the city until further notice.

“We just felt that at this point it wasn’t worth the staff’s time and energy,” District 14 Councillor Lisa Blackburn said.

“It was decided that we were going to discontinue our work on the stadium budget, just because there has been no action or activity on the file for an extended period of time.”

In December 2019, HRM debated the proposed stadium in Atlantic Canada and it ended with council voting 10-7 in favour of funding $20 million for the project. However, government resources have been redirected towards the coronavirus pandemic.

Hollingsworth reports SSE’s stadium momentum has stalled because of COVID-19, but the group still wants to build a venue. They believe that once the CFL returns to action, the timing could be right to resume conversations about CFL expansion.

“The timing could be looked at in a negative way or it could be looked at in a positive way, and we’re looking at it in the latter. We’re still optimistic and going to be moving forward when the time comes.”

Wallace added through Hollingsworth that his group is anxious to resume stadium negotiations in the near future when — and if — the timing is more appropriate post-pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:15 AM

It's for the best. It would have been sheer folly to continue during this time which has no sign of disappearing anytime soon. In fact, with the way home and work lifestyles may have changed irrevocably we will likely never return to the ways in which this was formerly envisioned.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I hope the idea isn’t dead ... but this is definitely concerning.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:06 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

At this point I just hope the league itself can survive.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
At this point I just hope the league itself can survive.
I think the 2021 season is going to be a do or die scenario for the league. I'm not liking its chances of survival, at least in any type of recognizable way, if it doesn't get a season off the ground this year.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:06 PM

will likely be a short sept-nov season by then hopefully 50-60% of the Canadian population is vaccinated and they can have 10-15k fans in attendance similar to how some NFL teams have done it this year.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 8:13 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think the 2021 season is going to be a do or die scenario for the league. I'm not liking its chances of survival, at least in any type of recognizable way, if it doesn't get a season off the ground this year.
I fear this is the case

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 8:21 PM

The finances of CFL teams will not work unless full capacity at stadiums is approved by all provincial governments. This was the case last year and nothing has changed last I checked. Teams do not derive sufficient revenues from sponsorships and the tv deal to compensate for crowds in the 5 - 10,000 range.

With that said, I expect to see a noticeable drop in crowds should the season commence with a 10-12 game schedule in late August/early September (best case scenario imo). Many past and potential ticket holders have experienced economic setbacks during the COVID crisis and as a result will have to cut back, or even outright eliminate, their discretionary spending.

While cheaper than the big-4 sports leagues an CFL outing is hardly a cheap experience. Easily one hundred dollars for a pair of OK tickets alone, not including parking and concessions. A good portion of the CFL live audience are working and middle class - a group that collectively experienced
negative economic outcomes during the pandemic.

If a 2021 season comes to pass, I think average crowds will decrease by 3,000 per game. All pro sports will experience this decline, even in the big-4.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:32 PM

If you go on 3downation.com CFL teams are paying at the salary floor not cap this season of 4.7 million per club instead of the 5.4 million ceiling. On the Bombes Willie Jefferson took a 60k pay cut Collaros a 55 k pay cut Adam Bighill a 145k pay cut! The TSN tv deal covers most player costs at this level the rest of in fan revenues will need to cover teams coaches, scouts, marketing staff ect.. and rents/leases on their facilities.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
If you go on 3downation.com CFL teams are paying at the salary floor not cap this season of 4.7 million per club instead of the 5.4 million ceiling. On the Bombes Willie Jefferson took a 60k pay cut Collaros a 55 k pay cut Adam Bighill a 145k pay cut! The TSN tv deal covers most player costs at this level the rest of in fan revenues will need to cover teams coaches, scouts, marketing staff ect.. and rents/leases on their facilities.
Saving $500,000 on players' salaries is a decent start but it will make little difference...not if teams are playing to crowds 5,000 - 10,000 and losing out on approx. $10 million over 9 or 10 games. $25 million in total revenues are required to break-even on a CFL team so salaries constitute a little over 25% of a team's expenses (if you include players on LTIR and the practice roster).

If the owners were willing and capable of sustaining losses in the several millions then sure, we would have a season with partial capacity. That isn't the case though. Hopefully, the majority of the population has been fully vaccinated by summer and we can enjoy an abbreviated season.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:27 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/25/s...l-team-report/

Official: Scott Milanovich resigns as head coach of Edmonton Football Team

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada