HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:16 PM

Yes, the city has 4 or so years to decide if they want the land behind it or not

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:04 AM

The Cherapa Place is roughly in the area listed as Phase 2 mixed use on the image 3rd from top in Justin_144's post. If I understand, the Event Center would be connected to it, but I may be wrong

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:33 PM

Where is this being built?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:56 PM

The Cherapa Place is roughly where I drew the blue circle. The rendering was done before Cherapa Place was announced, so they would have to do some redesigning if it ever gets build at all. The plans are still undecided

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 4:05 AM

"The Cherapa Place is roughly where I drew the blue circle. The rendering was done before Cherapa Place was announced, so they would have to do some redesigning if it ever gets build at all. The plans are still undecided"

Sorry, I should have looked at the messages before mine. I meant to ask, where in Sioux Falls is all this being built? I live in Florida but it's my dad's hometown and many of my relatives live there so I like to stay in touch with what's going on.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:33 AM

Sorry, I was assuming you were responding to my post. It's located on 6th st., east side of the river, Former Zip feed tower site. Hopefully that answers your question.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmanfromsufu View Post
Sorry, I was assuming you were responding to my post. It's located on 6th st., east side of the river, Former Zip feed tower site. Hopefully that answers your question.
Yes it does, thanks Wolfmanfromsufu.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:44 PM

Any new updates on the utown at the falls project... or any other new news for the city of Sioux Falls?????

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:01 PM
loving that Gary skyline

Way to go, Sioux Falls! Looks good.... keep us informed!

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:18 PM

Not much new, we'll be voting whether-or-not to rebuild the Drake Springs pool as indoor or outdoor. I hope it is indoor. Not much to report on the uptown project. They're beginning to mark out things for the first set of 6 story residential/office buildings, but not much else. http://www.uptownatfallspark.com
Has some details on what's currently happening there. Cherapa Place is coming along great. The exterior appears nearly done, but it will be a while before the interior is ready to be occupied. There is a lot of foundation work going on at the Minnesota Centre building (9th&Minnesota). Minimalls going up everywhere. Long range plans are being made to improve the zoo. Not much talk of a new events center though That's the best update I can give.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:14 AM

This is the first stage of the massive expansion of Sanford Hospital. Should be an interesting addition to the city.

From KELO-TV

Quote:
Groundbreaking For Sanford Children's Hospital

Sioux Falls' skyline is about to undergo a rennasaince, with the addition of turrets, spires, and colorful flags.

It may not look like it now, but in little more than 24 months, this mud pit is going to be transformed into Sanford Children's Hospital in the form of - of all things - a castle.

For more than 1,000 people - from preschoolers to pro basketball players, to corporate presidents, Wednesday was a lesson in contrasts. The machines, men and muck of a construction site with the smiles, slides and celebration of Sanford Children's groundbreaking.

Dr. Larry Fenton, retiring chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at the Sanford School of Medicine says, " Why a castle? Why a building? I can honeslty say to you, for those who have worked in children's hospitals, that something magical happens when a building is built that only cares for children."

But far away from the hoopla, for hospital patients like 7-year-old Madison Johnson, the most important business of the day isn't a building, it's getting better. And that is the focus of this man, Dr. Eugene Hoyme who is stepping in when Dr. Larry Fenton steps down.

He says, " I would like to envision a time when people who had children with any sort of problem would not need to leave the area to obtain those services."

The Stanford professor is joining more than 350 staffers at Sanford who gathered today beneath a flag-topped tent which will soon be eclipsed by a 5-story hospital with an area nearly 24 times it's size.

Hoyme explains, "It will be non-threatening, will be a place where families feel comfortable, parents feel comfortable being with their children in difficult times."

And while times today appeared to be all fun and games, everyone here knows the work of Sanford Children's is very serious business.

Hoyme says, "Nobody wants to be in the hospital, but we will try to make that the least painful that it can be."

Fenton says, "You know that every hour of your day, everything that you do, everything that happens in that building changes the life of a child."

Again, the doors, not a drawbridge, are expected to replace the inflatable castle with a real one in spring of 2009. In the meantime, the construction of this facility will probably never be as fun as it was Wednesday
http://www.sanfordhealth.org/AboutSa...ildrensUpdate/

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:42 AM

It will be an interesting addition to the SF skyline

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 2:53 AM

anyone know what's going up on 14th & Minnesota?

i know they're replacing the old Get n Go...

but it looks like they're preparing to build something across the street as well?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 4:35 AM

It's got me curious too. The land's been for sale for a long time. I was surprised when I drove by and saw the 2 old houses torn down. Maybe that's where the Pavilion Execuative Plaza is going that Justin_144 mentioned. If it was something major, there would have been an announcement. The current Get n Go near there is tiny. I've worked there a couple times. Their parent company, Olson Oil has been real active at building new locations lately. 57th & Marion, South Minnesota ave, 14th & Minn, and buying one near Tuthill park. Keep the updates coming.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 2:00 AM

Does anyone have any recent pictures of all the buildings being built downtown?

Also have they broke ground on the any of the Uptown at the falls buildings, or the Executive pavillion plaza???

I want some pics!!!1

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 1:47 AM

If I get some free time (I work way too much) I'll try to get some pics. The exterior of the Cherapa Place is mostly finished, only a few windows missing. There's a lot of steel work going on at the Minnesota Centre building. City hall needs to finalize the sale of the land before they start work on the 2nd phase of the Uptown project, phase one is the renovation of a couple old buildings on Main ave. They're expected to finalize the sale Monday. I'll try to get some pics up unless another Sioux Falls area photographer beats me to it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Uptown land sale delayed

Without a fix, heavy rain could flood parking garage
By Jonathan Ellis
jonellis@argusleader.com
Published: June 20, 2007

The city of Sioux Falls has delayed the sale of a piece of land slated for a key downtown development, citing concerns about drainage problems.

The City Council was scheduled to approve the sale Monday night, but city officials asked that the item be delayed until July 16. The land is the first of three parcels the city is selling to the Uptown at Falls Park development group, a consortium of local developers planning a project between Second and Fifth streets adjacent to Phillips Avenue.

The project's first phase calls for restoring historic buildings at Fourth and Main Avenue and building two six-story structures at Fourth and Phillips. These buildings would have a number of residential units as well as underground parking.

But the underground parking could be problematic. In recent weeks, city engineers have found that the city's runoff collection system in that area isn't compatible with how the Uptown group has designed its underground parking.

"There's a substantial amount of rainwater that comes down to the intersection of Fourth and Main," said Mark Cotter, the city's director of Public Works.

The city is promoting underground parking in downtown developments, city planner Erica Beck said. But in this case, the underground parking garages could be flooded in heavy rainstorms.

There are solutions, Cotter said. Each has its own challenges and price tags.

The city could install more underground runoff conduit to move water to the Big Sioux River. The area already is serviced by a 72-inch pipe and a box culvert, Cotter said. Under this scenario, there could be problems with bedrock.

The city also could install a storm sewer pumping station that would collect water in the area and force it to the river through conduit. That could prove to be an expensive option, however, and one that would be necessary only during major storm events.

There's also another variable. The site is adjacent to an area designated by the Environmental Protection Agency as a Brownfields property because of contamination that occurred in its previous life as an industrial site.

That could complicate measures to fix the drainage issue.

"This is all a fairly new thing for everyone in the city because it's our first Brownfields property," Beck said.

Another solution, Cotter said, is for Uptown officials to redesign their buildings.

Earlier this year, Uptown officials planned a groundbreaking on the first phase for this summer. It wasn't clear Tuesday how this delay would affect their schedule.

Les Kinstad, one of the Uptown partners, said the delay could push back the groundbreaking, which he called ceremonial.

"I think we targeted a summer groundbreaking, but I think everyone understands that some of this stuff has to slide a little bit," he said.

Kinstad said his group and the city don't want any unanswered questions hanging before the deal goes through.

"There's an old saying: Measure twice and cut once. That's kind of where we are here," he said.

In the meantime, the renovation of existing buildings on Main continues. The Tri-State Creamery building is expected to open July 15 with two floors of office and retail, while demolition work has started on the Larson Square, which will have two floors of residential lofts and one floor of commercial space.

Last summer, a city committee picked the Uptown group to develop the three blocks that lead from downtown to Falls Park. The group offered to buy the land from the city for $2.6 million. Its proposal included plans for 350,000 square feet of office and retail space, 500 residential units, 1,500 parking spaces and a hotel. The $150 million development was expected to take as long as a decade to complete.

Reach reporter Jonathan Ellis at 605-575-3629.
At least they realized this now, and not after the buildings were built

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:57 AM

Post Engineer to build office on long-vacant lot

Redevelopment finally is coming to the 500 block of South Minnesota Avenue.
A business group headed by Richard Landborg has been buying up apartments and other property on the block for three decades.
“We’ve been playing Monopoly on that block for 33 years. Eventually, we got everything but the law firm,” says Landborg, referring to the offices of Christopherson, Bailin & Anderson LLP at 509 S. Dakota Ave.
In recent years, the open northeast corner of Minnesota and 14th Street has been a prospective site for a relocated downtown post office and an assortment of other projects. But nothing worked out. Until now....

(All the info I could get w/o paying for a subscription with the SF buisness journal)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 2:09 AM

There are some good significant downtown projects going on. Probably the most development since the disaster called urban renewal in the 70s. I'm not worried at all about the delay for the Uptown project. I still would like to see some of the industrial land on the southeast end of Falls Park cleaned up and another project like uptown line that portion of the park.

By the way...the Census Bureau is going to release it's July 1, 2006 numbers late next week. I think it will clearly show some good growth, tho I'm betting the number will still be about 4,000 short of the 146,000 the City projected(midpoint of of 144,000 on 1/1/06 and 148,000 on 1/1/07).

It's doubtful the numbers will accurately show what's been going on in Tea, Harrisburg and Brandon also. I know in Fargo, the Census Bureau always underestimates the growth up there as well (except West Fargo, they picked up on that growth pretty well).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 4:08 AM

It would be nice if Sioux Steel would move to the industrial north part of town, but the city needs to be careful not to anger companies by forcing them to move. The Raven Ind. building fits pretty good in the downtown area. It's kind of sad to hear about buildings that were lost to urban renewal. Just think what they could do with the old Catarac Hotel building. It will be interesting to see what goes up at 14th and Minnesota, perhaps I'll pick up a copy of the Business Journal and read about it. There is a lot of development downtown, but unfortunately nothing over 6 stories yet. Hopefully the plans for a 12-15 story hotel will come true for the Uptown project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest