HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Winnipeg really takes it on the chin in the latest Maclean's with a cover story about racism and shoddy treatment of indigenous people. The sensational headline implies that we're Canada's most racist city, but the article itself raises a lot of compelling examples of why this city really is divided, centered mainly on Tina Fontaine's death. A little more civic introspection on that front certainly can't hurt.
I thought we had an arm's length development agency tasked with resolving this issue by playing whack-a-mole with a municipal line of credit?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:13 PM

I think the big difference in Winnipeg's racism is that it is more hidden than it is in other places. A prime example was the mayoral race last year where it seemed one candidate associated with some racist comments seemed to heavily represent the "haves" with a real physical divide being drawn over the city. It was a little surprising to see how those comments impacted their support as they seemed to almost benefit from it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think the big difference in Winnipeg's racism is that it is more hidden than it is in other places. A prime example was the mayoral race last year where it seemed one candidate associated with some racist comments seemed to heavily represent the "haves" with a real physical divide being drawn over the city. It was a little surprising to see how those comments impacted their support as they seemed to almost benefit from it.
Gord Steeves was clearly campaigning to be the mayor of south Winnipeg. He basically assumed a campaign stance that echoed the ugliest crap you hear in employee lunchrooms and CJOB call in shows. The fact that his cynical attempt at populism failed so abysmally that it ended his political career is actually pretty reassuring. A truly ugly, racist city would have made him mayor.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Gord Steeves was clearly campaigning to be the mayor of south Winnipeg. He basically assumed a campaign stance that echoed the ugliest crap you hear in employee lunchrooms and CJOB call in shows. The fact that his cynical attempt at populism failed so abysmally that it ended his political career is actually pretty reassuring. A truly ugly, racist city would have made him mayor.
I don't know how true that is. Bowman represents the same group of big-C conservatives who would like to pretend they're a more progressive group than they are. Perhaps the idea that Bowman wasn't so blunt but you knew he had no intention of addressing those issues is what made him so popular. I genuinely believe that people mostly ignored his urbanist, inclusive rhetoric and focused on the fact that he was the president of the Chamber of Commerce.

Bowman isn't going to address aboriginal issues any more than anybody else has, regardless of what sort of lip service he may pay them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I don't know how true that is. Bowman represents the same group of big-C conservatives who would like to pretend they're a more progressive group than they are. Perhaps the idea that Bowman wasn't so blunt but you knew he had no intention of addressing those issues is what made him so popular. I genuinely believe that people mostly ignored his urbanist, inclusive rhetoric and focused on the fact that he was the president of the Chamber of Commerce.

Bowman isn't going to address aboriginal issues any more than anybody else has, regardless of what sort of lip service he may pay them.
I take your point. However, so far as I can tell, Bowman is at least status quo on these issues. Which in this town means talk a good game and do just enough to keep the heat off.

But the difference is Steeves wasn't even going that far, and it was satisfying to see him get trounced. It's also telling that the #2 finisher and the biggest gainer were dyed in the wool progressives who were ready to step up on the inclusivity and progressiveness front.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:52 PM

Bowman's Metis by the way and didn't play this card at all in the election from what I could tell. I wonder if this was more in the forefront how things would've played out. Would it have been even more of a landslide victory or would it go the opposite way?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
I take your point. However, so far as I can tell, Bowman is at least status quo on these issues. Which in this town means talk a good game and do just enough to keep the heat off.

But the difference is Steeves wasn't even going that far, and it was satisfying to see him get trounced. It's also telling that the #2 finisher and the biggest gainer were dyed in the wool progressives who were ready to step up on the inclusivity and progressiveness front.
Couldn't agree more. You're saying what I was trying to.

As for the 2nd place challenger, I'm not sure I'd consider JWL a progressive. I'd consider her a pretty establishment union candidate who needs to fill in her slate. And between her and Ouellete, they still had a fairly week showing given Bowman's. I didn't see anything from those results that would indicate we're anything other than a pretty conservative city at the municipal level.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Couldn't agree more. You're saying what I was trying to.

As for the 2nd place challenger, I'm not sure I'd consider JWL a progressive. I'd consider her a pretty establishment union candidate who needs to fill in her slate. And between her and Ouellete, they still had a fairly week showing given Bowman's. I didn't see anything from those results that would indicate we're anything other than a pretty conservative city at the municipal level.
Fair enough, maybe it's more accurate to describe JWL as "nominally progressive". But the point is that for a city that's supposedly brimming with racism and divisiveness (at least, according to Maclean's), the only mayoral candidate who tried to sympathize with those sensibilities got his ass kicked hard.

A city that REALLY didn't like indigenous people and wanted to ignore them completely would have rallied behind Steeves.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, maybe it's more accurate to describe JWL as "nominally progressive". But the point is that for a city that's supposedly brimming with racism and divisiveness (at least, according to Maclean's), the only mayoral candidate who tried to sympathize with those sensibilities got his ass kicked hard.

A city that REALLY didn't like indigenous people and wanted to ignore them completely would have rallied behind Steeves.
I just think we like to think of ourselves as being more inclusive than we are. We want opportunities for indigenous people, but don't you dare let them in our neighbourhoods or at our opportunities. As you had mentioned: the status quo.

Y'know, we're still racist, but it's a quieter, more sinister sort that takes the form of faint praise.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:13 PM

It's an interesting focus, and good to see some of these issues get wider discussion. I understand the the focus of the one article was Winnipeg, but it sure made it sound like outside of Winnipeg (and to some degree Manitoba/Sask) that things are fine and dandy. Mention of Vancouver was limited to a rosy picture of how it embraces local aboriginal art and didn't acknowledge some of the serious issues there. Edmonton fell out of the picture, which I believe has the largest urban aboriginal population after Winnipeg - also rapidly growing.

I think Winnipeg may provide some of the best/easiest examples but I think it was almost portrayed as if Winnipeg's problems are somewhat of an anomaly. I wouldn't be suprised if things are generally the worst in Winnipeg, but I think in an attempt to make that distinction the rest of the Country (esp the west) got a little but sugar coated.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:14 PM

I think one of the issues in Vancouver is the divide between Asians and Caucasians with Aboriginals been a lesser concern. If the article is focusing more on how Aboriginals in Canada are treated it would not be surprising to see Vancouver being downplayed.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:40 PM

Just because there are other concerns doesn't mean it isn't still an issue though. And it wasn't even so much that it was downplayed, it was using Vancouver as a contrast to Winnipeg's problem. It was implied that Vancouver had it figured out...which is somehow evident because the have aboriginal art in their airport.

If we want to admit systematic racism against aboriginals is a problem in this country, downplaying it anywhere isn't really helpful despite that fact that it may be worse somewhere else. It may be bad in Vancouver, but worse in Winnipeg, but that's not really the way it was framed. The article could do a bit better at acknowledging the national scope of the problem.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:04 PM

The article is a joke. "Most racist" city in Canada? By what standard? It's based on anecdotal evidence and is not at all scientific. it's a hatchet job by Macleans by someone who at one time lived here. Do you think there isn't a lot of racism in Toronto between the white and black community? Or in Vancouver between the Asian and white community? Sure there is racism in Winnipeg and it should be dealt with. But standing up there with his crocodile tears, Bowman just makes it worse. Talk about sensationalism.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The article is a joke. "Most racist" city in Canada? By what standard? It's based on anecdotal evidence and is not at all scientific. it's a hatchet job by Macleans by someone who at one time lived here. Do you think there isn't a lot of racism in Toronto between the white and black community? Or in Vancouver between the Asian and white community? Sure there is racism in Winnipeg and it should be dealt with. But standing up there with his crocodile tears, Bowman just makes it worse. Talk about sensationalism.
I was not impressed after watching the video (posted by the Free Press) of the article's author/associate editor. She didn't seem particularly articulate or experienced, and she appeared largely unprepared to handle even the softball questions she was getting about the article. She said at one point that the headline doesn't really tell the story. What? So Winnipeg isn't the most racist city in Canada? What a poorly conceived article.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 11:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

man was there ever allot of stuff going on in the city tonight even with how cold its is just insane. the event i was part of was a buz aww man what a night lifes good

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:16 PM

The Free Press has an update regarding MLLC's search for a new head office:

Quote:
The Crown corporation, which merged from separate liquor and lotteries regulators in 2012, is in the midst of selecting one of nine proposals to house 60,000 to 80,000 square feet of contiguous office space somewhere in downtown Winnipeg.
The article identified four of the contenders, being True North Square, The Bay, the former IBM Building on Ellice and the CWB Building on Main.

I think it would make more sense to locate in a vacant building rather than building new (TNS) or doing a major renovation (The Bay), but that's just me. The IBM Building is relatively modern and very well sized... seems perfect to me. I wonder what the other five proposals are, though?

More: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-4

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:34 PM

Says they need 80k square feet of contiguous space. Does that mean just in one building, or is that on the same floor? I assume it's just in the same building.

Contiguous was thrown around for the convention centre. On how the third level is whatever amount of contiguous square feet. Which is all one big floor.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Says they need 80k square feet of contiguous space. Does that mean just in one building, or is that on the same floor? I assume it's just in the same building.

Contiguous was thrown around for the convention centre. On how the third level is whatever amount of contiguous square feet. Which is all one big floor.
Contiguous means just that... contiguous.

Either one single floor or multiple adjacent floors.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:43 PM

The definition I looked up was a bit vague. It said touching. Most of the definitions I just looked up again said they are continuous, without break, touching. The 48 contiguous states are an example.

a. Connecting without a break: the 48 contiguous states. b. Connected in time; uninterrupted: served two contiguous terms in office.

I guess the same building is connected.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:13 PM

I picked up a copy of the redesigned Metro today... it's pretty good for a free daily. It looks better, and I think they probably beat the Sun now for sheer content. The only thing the Sun is better at is their blanket local sports coverage which Metro has none of.

Honestly, if Metro hired one sports reporter to work the Jets and Bombers beat and cover the games, they could pretty much line up toe to toe with the Sun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan