HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:00 PM

I think the Campus concept is the best design visually. It sucks that construction won't start for another year though!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:48 PM

They mentioned that the new design would tie into the existing design of the 400 building in which case I'm not really seeing any similarities. I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 designs chosen, let alone even the third design they eliminated, but I would take almost anything over our existing city hall.

A few things to note. The new city hall will not have parking immediately adjacent to the building as you see now, this is due to council passing a motion to build a new parking garage along McDougall to offset the loss of the surface parking that now sits along City Hall Sq W.

So whatever design they decide on it will facilitate more greening of that entire area by adding more park than what is currently there. Although I wonder how they're going to accommodate handicapped people, but I assume they're going to take that into account and provide them some spots close to the new city hall somewhere.

Some of these pictures were taken from another article talking about the new parking garage that will be built near city hall.

source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/co...-and-city-hall

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:51 PM

So the city of Windsor has issued a formal survey on the city's website asking the citizens of Windsor which of the 2 new city hall designs we want rammed down our throat that also supposedly have no supporting floor plans or other details, just some pretty mock ups.

The article where I found out about the survey is here:
source:
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/ci...-new-city-hall

The link to the city's website if you feel comfortable with either of these 2 options is here:
http://www.citywindsor.ca/cityhall/C...s/default.aspx

Why was there no 3rd option for 'Neither'? This feels a bit forced.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:23 PM

I have no problem with their survey. Detailed floor plans aren't that important to me, as I don't work in the place. It's the overall look and integration of the building that I care about. I prefer the Campus rendering, it has cleaner lines and just looks sleeker than the other option. I hope the Campus proposal wins, as it will be in full view from my condos terrace!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 9:46 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 PM

I haven't done any updates on the U of W building in a long time so I'll put up a few pics as the project has progressed ending in the most recent pics.

The photo set begins from March 22nd until this past weekend. All pictures are my own except 1 and it is credited to the Windsor Star.

Source: Windsor Star

Most if not all of the small windows have been removed from the heritage facade, I couldn't see much of the larger arched windows.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:40 PM

Any word on if the Paul Martin Building will receive any of the $400M destined for federal buildings?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harp...ools-1.2847325

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 2:29 PM

I wouldn't count on it, they seem to be bent on letting it rot. It's disgusting that they have money for federal building in other cities, but not for Windsor!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 8:33 PM

I'll believe this when I see it, lol!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/pr...ing-in-windsor

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I'll believe this when I see it, lol!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/pr...ing-in-windsor
After complaining to higher levels of government about Windsor not being include in the initial study the government had a change of heart an decided to include Windsor in the study. Don't hold your breath though, I believe they said their first concern is the Toronto - Montreal corridor. I believe, based on how it has been said, that the extension down to Windsor is their last priority.

So all this is saying is we'll be included in the study.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 7:19 PM

I haven't heard anything about Montreal, just the original concept of Toronto to London first. I'm just happy to see Windsor mentioned in the conversation.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
After complaining to higher levels of government about Windsor not being include in the initial study the government had a change of heart an decided to include Windsor in the study. Don't hold your breath though, I believe they said their first concern is the Toronto - Montreal corridor. I believe, based on how it has been said, that the extension down to Windsor is their last priority.

So all this is saying is we'll be included in the study.
The first priority is Toronto-London. East of Toronto is off the table completely, even more so than Windsor, as the study doesn't cover anything east of Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 2:07 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if Windsor was the second phase, but I think it will (eventually) happen: Windsor is the link to the planned Detroit-Chicago high-speed rail which could then also connect to Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:19 PM

An update on the U of W School of Social work building.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2015/01/new-uwi...-the-ground-2/

Sorry these pics are sooo huge. I just linked them from the site I saw them on but not sure if I could format them a little smaller?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:52 PM

I wonder when they will start to rebuild the historic brick facade of the old office building directly left of the old Star main entrance? They said it would help enclose an open air courtyard when all is finished. I'll assume they'll start that when most of the heavy equipment has been moved.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:01 PM

So, something new and interesting.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...tion-1.2934613

Quote:
Someone is interested in developing the land between Riverside Drive West and the new downtown aquatic centre, but neither the city or landowner will say who.

Work is underway at the parking lot at the corner of Riverside Drive West and Bruce Avenue.

The parcel of land is well known to Windsorites.

The city acquired the land in a swap with developer Farhi Holdings Corp.

Windsor got the site of the WFCU Centre on the east end while Farhi got the half-hectare downtown parcel, with 40 metres of riverfront property.

But there was a catch. The downtown soil on that parcel wasn't suitable for development, Windsor's CAO Helga Reidel explained.

Reidel says as part of the budget for the WFCU Centre, the city set aside $300,000 to test and replace the soil on the Riverside Drive property.

"It was known all along that we would have to remmediate that once Mr. Farhi gave us notice that he wished us to do that, and obviously we assume he will be starting to make some plans for that property," Reidel said.

Last fall, Schmuel Farhi gave notice he wanted that work done, Reidel said.

Farhi tells CBC he is talking to two different potential companies he called commercial, but would not elaborate further.

"We've always known Mr. Farhi will do something with that site, and so we hope that he builds something the citizens can benefit from in the future," Reidel said.
I wish we knew more details, and I hope Farhi holds up his part of the bargain. He was quoted as saying he wasn't going to build something small and shitty in that location, but something worthwhile.

My guess, I'm sure it might be nice, but probably not all that grand in scale.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:44 PM

I checked out the Farhi site today. I would hardly call it construction. There's no hoarding up, just a few orange pilons blocking a driveway and they seemed to have scraped some dirt over a portion of the parking lot, nothing to really see.

Side note: North42, you were wondering about the rebuild of the old apartment building that's part of the U of W building on Ferry? Well, I drove past today and they have a lot of structural steel up on that portion of the site and it looks like they're beginning that stage. If you have a chance to take a walk past check it out.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I checked out the Farhi site today. I would hardly call it construction. There's no hoarding up, just a few orange pilons blocking a driveway and they seemed to have scraped some dirt over a portion of the parking lot, nothing to really see.

Side note: North42, you were wondering about the rebuild of the old apartment building that's part of the U of W building on Ferry? Well, I drove past today and they have a lot of structural steel up on that portion of the site and it looks like they're beginning that stage. If you have a chance to take a walk past check it out.
Oh good, thanks, I'll walk down and check it out!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:55 PM

Noticed on Saturday that grey brick was being installed on the walls of the University DT campus at the old Windsor Star. im not sure what other cladding will be going up along with the brick though, hopefully something decent!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 6:19 PM

Lazares & Co is the name of the store that will be opening up in the old fur store on Ouellette @ Maiden Lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario