HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:42 AM

T

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:30 PM

I'm kind of surprised DAL is so low. Southwest Airlines is the largest domestic airline, and that's basically it's home airport. I know SWA doesn't have traditional HUBs, but I always thought it had quite a lot of traffic through there. I guess not much of it is enplanements/deplanements maybe.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:58 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I'm kind of surprised DAL is so low. Southwest Airlines is the largest domestic airline, and that's basically it's home airport. I know SWA doesn't have traditional HUBs, but I always thought it had quite a lot of traffic through there. I guess not much of it is enplanements/deplanements maybe.
While I don't think the City restricts the number of flights in and out of DAL, they don't encourage more by restricting the number of gates available. DAL is only allowed 20 operational gates. Assuming 18 hours of operations per day (6 am to midnight), with one plane per hour using each gate, that effectively limits the number of flights per day to 360. With 150 potential passengers per flight (737-800 capacity with 3 flight attendants), that's a maximum of 54,000 passengers per day.

But not every gate is fully utilized, not every plane is full to capacity, and not every gate is used 18 hours every day. DAL isn't the only airport in the metroplex, DFW with more gates, more airliners, more destinations, and more planes obviously attracts far more passengers.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:59 PM

So why does Austin have a million more passengers per year than San Antonio when S.A. has such a larger population?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
So why does Austin have a million more passengers per year than San Antonio when S.A. has such a larger population?
There really isn't much difference between Austin Metro and San Antonio Metro...

2010 U.S. Census Figures:
#25. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX MSA 2,142,508
#35. Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX MSA 1,716,289

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 9:59 PM

United or Continental To Resume Austin To Cancun

Helen Anders column in the Austin American Statesman reports that United or Continental will resume their seasonal flights to Cancun starting June 9. This will put them in direct competition with Southwest.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:29 PM

True, but United's service will be once a week (Saturday) while AirTran's will be 4 times per week

Cancun-Austin Saturday flights announced by United Airlines

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Also Austin has many more business travelers than San Antonio does, add to that the increase in tourism for our city and you can see why. Austin also has around 300 flights per day versus roughly 260 flights a day out of SA. Our airport has actually had more passenger traffic for the past several years over San Antonio's airport but the numbers were closer together, last year shows a distinct increase in number and 2012 should surpass 2011.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:

ECONOMY: Austin's high tech economy is dependent upon global suppliers and customers. More business travel is required than SA's primarily ground logistics and military based economy

DEMOGRAPHICS: Austin has a younger population than SA consisting of more people that moved from other parts of the country. Travel is required to see family.

GDP: While Austin's population is less that SA, it's gross domestic product numbers are higher. That leads me to believe the average person in Austin has more expendible income for leisure travel, etc.

BIG EVENTS AND RANKINGS: ACL, SXSW, etc have grown and become global affairs. Austin is constantly ranked as a great city on many levels attracting young travelers. As opposed to SA which is primarily a convention destination attracting older set of travelers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:32 PM

^Good answers and now that you have me thinking we could probably add state government to that list and probably even due to the larger university population we have here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Exactly

I will be very excited when they begin the terminal expansion.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:48 AM
Registered

Another factor is people fly into Austin when they visit San Antonio. I did it for the Alamo Bowl. A good friend of mine did the same thing a few months prior to that to visit a friend stationed in San Antonio.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:42 PM

Southwest -VS- Jet Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Good info. Thanks Lonestar Mike. Also hearing Jetblue might get approval to fly to Reagan in D.C.
Interesting twist...is Southwest going head to head with Jet Blue...or is Jet Blue knocking heads with Sow-west???? From 11/13/12 Austin American-Statesman:

Southwest Airlines Co. is seeking slots at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to offer nonstop service to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Source: http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...l-2234440.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 12:26 AM
~Hook'em~

Possible direct flight from Austin to London? That would be SOOOOOO great!

F1, SXSW Interactive’s impact on Austin discussed at tech event
By Dave Doolittle | Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The impact of Formula One and the South by Souwest Interactive festival on Austin were discussed during a technical showcase in London attended by Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell in January.

Leffingwell led a delegation of nine Austin-based companies, including Phunware, Appconomy and Ricochet Labs, at London’s “Tech City Showcase.”

The possibility of a direct flight between Austin and London was discussed during the showcase, but the discussions were informal and no action has been taken, Amy Everhart, policy director for Leffingwell’s office, said today. Some members of the business community and chamber of commerce may be exploring the idea, she said.

There are currently no direct flights between London and Austin. American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia fly between Dallas and London as part of a joint-business agreement. Several airlines fly between Houston and London, including United Airlines and Air Canada.

Local market demand and whether an airport could be a successful hub are the two biggest factors in considering direct routes between internationsl cities, Americasn spokesman Jim Faulkner said today.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...formula_austin

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Non-stop to London? This is such a joke...we cannot even keep non-stops to Mexico City or Toronto!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:58 PM

Is there a precedence for having flight routes for only specific times of the year?? I mean could they find a way to have direct flights from say London, Paris, or Buenos Aires for an even like F1 or sxsw and then stop that service?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:16 PM

F1 Charters

Y

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Interesting twist...is Southwest going head to head with Jet Blue...or is Jet Blue knocking heads with Sow-west????
Southwest's Application with DOT

In Southwest's proposal, they say they will offer the service using Boeing 737-800 jets (which seat 175 passengers). edited to add - in Southwest's proposal they say "Southwest may begin DCA-AUS-SAN service with B737-700 model aircraft having 137 seats, but will convert to B737-800 aircraft with 175 seats by November 2012, in accordance with the delivery schedule for that aircraft." There's some interesting exhibits in their proposal, too - like Bergstrom has had 24 consecutive months of growth and they note that 410,000 university/college students are within a 100-mile radius of Austin. There's also an exhibit that lists companies in Austin with business ties to Washington and vice-versa.

JetBlue's Application with DOT

JetBlue's proposed service would be on 100-passenger Embraer jets. Also, Jetblue is applying to serve Washington National to San Juan (and that is their first choice.) If that service is approved, then they're asking for a second pair of slots to serve Washington DC from Austin. I don't think they'll be granted 2 pairs of slots.

Of the 8 pairs of slots available, 4 are going to carriers with a large presence at Washington National. AA gets one (to LAX) Delta gets one (to Salt Lake City) United gets one (to San Francisco) and US Airways gets one (but US Airways hasn't said where they plan to go with their pair of slots.

That leaves the other 4 pairs to go to airlines which don't have a large presence at Washington National. Alaska Airlines, Virgin America, Frontier, Sun Country, Southwest and JetBlue have all applied for those other 4 pairs of slots. That's why I don't think JetBlue will be granted a second pair of slots, which they would use to provide service from Austin.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Mar 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM. Reason: more info about aircrat used in Southwest's proposal

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Yes there will be some large birds fying into ABIA for F1. To start the team's equipment are normally transported by 6 to 8 747's. F1 support, that is the contigent that puts on the race flies on charters. The race before Austin is in Abu Dhabi and F1 will be transporting their staff on a Boeing 777 nonstop to Austin. I would guess at a minimum Austin will get 1-3 charters from across the pond for the race.........
It'll be interesting to see some 747 freighters and other widebodies at AUS but is there even space to park them all? Wonder if they'll have to fly out to park elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:34 AM

I hate to be a naysayer, but I have to respond to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Non-stop to London? This is such a joke...we cannot even keep non-stops to Mexico City or Toronto!
I would say it is a joke. Non-stops to London will not happen for SXSW or F1. Event travel is serviced by charters, not permanent service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
they note that 410,000 university/college students are within a 100-mile radius of Austin.
I cannot figure out what college students from as far as College Station, Prairie View, San Antonio, and Waco have to do with nonstop service from ABI to DCA. Will they be inclined to drive to Austin to support this new service? I don't think this is likely. The nearly 200K students in the Austin Region would suffice and be better than building false arguments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin