HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:34 AM
Registered Ugly

Portland Coffee Talk

Drink up before they kick you out.

Last edited by subterranean; Jun 23, 2022 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:58 AM
A before E

Like you, I have been on this forum since the very early days, but I have to agree with the mods. The reason why this forum has done so well over the years is the fact that it has never turned into a political forum. There are a number of other forum sites that are much better for politics than this one, which has always focused on developments and civil conversations.

While I get your frustrations with the current state of the city, but that kind of venting belongs on other forms of social media. Which I don't blame our mods for not wanting to have to moderate a bunch of political posts because that is super exhausting and often times leads to name calling. This forum has never been about that.

Conversations about the politics of the city and the social environment belong on places like Reddit where topics are better focused to that. It is also why we see conversations about various developments here and no so much on Reddit because that site isn't the best for keeping long track of various developments.

This should be the forum where we are all about to put our political views aside and focus on the various developments and urban planning that goes on in the city and metro.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:17 PM

I've now unlocked the Downtown thread. I locked it because when I saw the discussion I was about to step into a series of meetings and really didn't have time to be moderating what looked like it was going to be a hot discussion, particularly given a lot of the language that was used. And this is part of why I say that I don't want to be the moderator of a politics forum. As much as it may seem like it to others, I don't have time to be moderating all day every day. The fact that I didn't see this thread until 12 hours after it was posted is testament to that.

Honestly, both Mark and I try to take a really light touch with our moderation, and we get criticism for that too, both in messages that are posted publicly and in DMs. Yes, I have my political views (although I don't think "radically left wing" is an accurate description of them), but I try not to post them here. All I'm asking is the same from others.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:19 PM
你的媽媽

Darn, I thought this was gonna be a discussion on good coffee shops in Portland. Nevermind.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
darn, i thought this was gonna be a discussion on good coffee shops in portland. Nevermind.
. 😀

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Darn, I thought this was gonna be a discussion on good coffee shops in Portland. Nevermind.
The only thing I like to mix into my coffee is dark chocolate. I've recently come across Roste in the Pearl and it is pretty fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to the Good Coffee in the B terminal at PDX too.

Hope my post isn't too liberal for you all. :-)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:22 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The only thing I like to mix into my coffee is dark chocolate. I've recently come across Roste in the Pearl and it is pretty fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to the Good Coffee in the B terminal at PDX too.

Hope my post isn't too liberal for you all. :-)
I've been to Barista, The Fresh Pot, Heart, Ristretto (which coincidentally somewhat related to the OP's post, I read shut down due to some controversy), and obviously Stumptown. All were excellent.

I'll have to try Roste and Good Coffee next time I visit!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I've been to Barista, The Fresh Pot, Heart, Ristretto (which coincidentally somewhat related to the OP's post, I read shut down due to some controversy), and obviously Stumptown. All were excellent.

I'll have to try Roste and Good Coffee next time I visit!
Man, you've hit some of the best ones! I used to visit Fresh Pot on Mississippi in NoPo in 2003-4 on my way into work just before the area gentrified. I haven't been to FP in over a decade now. Time flies...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:48 PM

I quite like Good Coffee, though admittedly mostly because of the houseplants.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:55 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Man, you've hit some of the best ones! I used to visit Fresh Pot on Mississippi in NoPo in 2003-4 on my way into work just before the area gentrified. I haven't been to FP in over a decade now. Time flies...
I love coffee so I make it a point to explore local coffee culture whenever I visit a city, and of course, Portland has a well established coffee scene so it's naturally a good fit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
Well yeah, conversations about coffee shops are always welcome. Actually I have to state this, the El Jordan from Colombia beans from Stumptown are insanely delicious. A bag is pricey but worth every dollar. It seriously is the best coffee I have had in years.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:12 PM

Man, Portland is truly a great coffee city and sometimes I feel we can take that for granted. Thanks for starting this coffee focused subforum!! I personally love to stop in at AVA Roasteria in Orenco Station for a fresh brew and pastry with my kids. I've partnered with Portland Coffee Roasters to use their beans in my regional hotels (we grind it fresh at the hotel and guests use it in their in-room french press). You can't go wrong with Stumptown and of course a stop at Groundwork Coffee in Slabtown always hits the spot.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:58 PM

one word: Spella

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:50 PM

I've never been to Spella but every time I hear the name I think of this scene: https://youtu.be/6q3fBK6LbCc

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:06 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
I've never been to Spella but every time I hear the name I think of this scene: https://youtu.be/6q3fBK6LbCc
Neighbor had beans delivered from Spella and package was left on the porch. The crows must have know it was good coffee, they ripped into the bag, and left beans all over the porch.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 8:50 PM

Spella is one of the best in town. It's too bad that their one location is entirely focused on serving the weekday office crowd, otherwise I'd go more often.

Has anyone tried Courier by Powell's? It's the only place I've ever seen make a latte using an old-fashioned style single ice cube. That spot was my go-to when I worked Downtown!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 6:46 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Spella is one of the best in town. It's too bad that their one location is entirely focused on serving the weekday office crowd, otherwise I'd go more often.

Has anyone tried Courier by Powell's? It's the only place I've ever seen make a latte using an old-fashioned style single ice cube. That spot was my go-to when I worked Downtown!
Hell yeah, that's some old school Portland coffee. That place used to be called Half and Half and carried Joel's Courier Roasters coffee. Back in the 2000s, Joel would roast his beans at home and then bike around to the coffee shops that carried his beans to deliver his shipments. He must have bought the Half and Half location after the closed (or whatever, not sure what happened to the old Half and Half.) Anyways, Courier Coffee is definitely a spot to check out for some good old school Portland coffee.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:10 PM
sidewalkin'

Stopping by from Denver.
I'll be in Portland July 4th weekend to see some very specific places, but am curious about areas of downtown. In my neighborhood in Denver we have tons of homeless camps. I can generally avoid them but I'm biking. I plan to stay downtown and walk around the city while I'm there. Looking at The Society Hotel and read some comments about homeless camps. I don't mind if they are around, I just don't want to stay in the middle of the service provider's neighborhood.
Can a local tell me what's happening there?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 5:28 PM

I work in Old Town. We have a higher concentration of homeless because of all the services around here.
If you Google map the Gospel Mission, Rescue Mission, Union Station, Blanchet House, Bud Clark Commons, Glady's McCoy building, Richard Harris building, you will see how much is concentrated here.
Most of the area is a little "sketchier" than the rest of the city, but nothing dangerous. I'd stay away from tents when you see more than one of them and under the I-405.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion