HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:21 PM
Meh

I can't say I'm a fan of it. I have to wonder what that would do to traffic on Riverside. Not to mention it's a skyscraper laying on its side. I mean, it's a start, but I've always thought Riverside should be lined with midrises all the way to 183 eventually, provided they aren't car-centric developments.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I can't say I'm a fan of it. I have to wonder what that would do to traffic on Riverside. Not to mention it's a skyscraper laying on its side. I mean, it's a start, but I've always thought Riverside should be lined with midrises all the way to 183 eventually, provided they aren't car-centric developments.
At least it has some architectural interest - they are breaking up the facade a bit with curves and changes in glass type, and what appear to be balconies on the ends. And it has a partial green roof. I have always been a big proponent of green roofs. It could have been just a standard long glass box, like you said: "...skyscraper laying on its side." The new rendering is a wiggly skyscraper laying on its side.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:16 PM

The Domain sent out their fourth quarter newsletter. Very limited info, but it looks like they will be breaking ground on another office building - Domain I - and another hotel - Archer - by the end of the year.

http://www.endeavor-re.com/office/Do...tter4Q2014.pdf

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There's plenty of apartments down that way for people to live in, and there's the lake & trail where they can play. If they want to try to develop the Riverside corridor into a Work/Live/Play center, they need the "work" part. So at least one good thing is that it's an office.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
There's plenty of apartments down that way for people to live in, and there's the lake & trail where they can play. If they want to try to develop the Riverside corridor into a Work/Live/Play center, they need the "work" part. So at least one good thing is that it's an office.
No doubt. This is absolutely critical for a functioning urban fabric.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:38 AM
Love Austin

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:21 PM

Awww, nothing better than tearing up a surface parking lot!!!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:29 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
The Domain sent out their fourth quarter newsletter. Very limited info, but it looks like they will be breaking ground on another office building - Domain I - and another hotel - Archer - by the end of the year.

http://www.endeavor-re.com/office/Do...tter4Q2014.pdf
It also looks like Restoration Hardware will be moving from The Arboretum to The Domain (possibly amongst others)...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:23 PM

Another suburban building announced.

MarketWatch.com
Cousins Properties to Begin Construction of Class-A Office Development in Austin, Texas
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cou...xas-2014-10-16

Here is the rendering for Research Park Plaza V:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Another suburban building announced.

MarketWatch.com
Cousins Properties to Begin Construction of Class-A Office Development in Austin, Texas
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cou...xas-2014-10-16

Here is the rendering for Research Park Plaza V:

ugh... do we have to see that?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
ugh... do we have to see that?
It's Plaza V. That means there are IV others.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It's Plaza V. That means there are IV others.
ugh x 5

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:23 AM

Looks like the city won't be buying the Bull Creek tract after all!

Austin Bull Creek tract purchase: This time, it's dead

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwx View Post
Looks like the city won't be buying the Bull Creek tract after all!

Austin Bull Creek tract purchase: This time, it's dead
I have... Mixed feelings on this.

On one hand I'd have liked the city to have more of a hand in planning because the concept of the HEB that's being put forth worries me, because my gut reaction to HEB design is "suburban, with a parking lot"

On the other hand, I don't have a reason to trust 10-to-1 to handle planning it gracefully.

I've still got hope, but it might just be blind optimism, which frankly is surprising.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
I have... Mixed feelings on this.

On one hand I'd have liked the city to have more of a hand in planning because the concept of the HEB that's being put forth worries me, because my gut reaction to HEB design is "suburban, with a parking lot"

On the other hand, I don't have a reason to trust 10-to-1 to handle planning it gracefully.

I've still got hope, but it might just be blind optimism, which frankly is surprising.
I'm pretty much now in the camp that anything Tovo or Morrison want is NOT want I want. They were the only ones voting in favor.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 9:06 PM

Today

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:52 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
Today
Around the time you were taking those photos yesterday, I was taking my first walk on the boardwalk. It was a perfect day for skyline-gawking. I went from Lakeshore Blvd to Congress and back, and spent a lot of time on the boardwalk segments just standing and staring at the beauty of the city, the various birds and turtles in the foreground.

It was very interesting to see how much the skyline changes as your viewing angle changes. I had noticed that before, of course, because there's no way you can see it from the Lamar St. bridge and think that looks anything remotely like the view coming into dt from the south on I-35. And that's very cool. But I got a much stronger sense of the subtle variations that occur even by just walking 50 feet in either direction on the trail. Entire buildings becoming hidden or revealed, and those that you can see interact differently with one another. It's fantastic, and I'm eager to see what it will look like when the view includes Waller Center, The Fairmont, 99 Trinity, and all the projects around the redevelopment of the west side.

I also realized, as I chose most and least favorite buildings, that my favorites are mostly the newer designs, while my least favorites are the buildings that I used to believe I would have preferred --- the old "faux naturale" (please tell me that hasn't been coined yet cuz I'm feeling proud of it) look that tries to "blend in with the hill country" with colors mimicking sand, soil, and rock. This reminded me of a major impression I had of Austin during my first visit here in 1981 --- It was winter, and I drove on 360 and was very impressed by the first of the glass-facade "modern" office buildings that had been newly built there. I loved the contrast between that look and the surrounding landscape. Coming from California, with its ocean of generic faux-Spanish stucco and red tile roof housing tracts and strip malls, I was dazzled by the more futuristic appeal of parts of Austin. Imagine how I felt the next day, when I saw the Houston skyline for the first time. I thought I had landed in a Jetsons cartoonscape. Awesome. And only a foreshadowing of things to come.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:25 PM

Here is something interesting for the bicycle crowd:

Urban Land Institute's Young Leaders Group is hosting a guided bike tour on October 26th of the new developments along Lady Bird Lake. It's open to everyone and the fee is $45 per person, which gets you the one-hour tour and whatever they have in the 'swag bags' they are giving out. Details about the tour are at the link, and I've included the image of the map.

http://austin.uli.org/event/ylg-bike-tour/

Quote:
The [ULI] Young Leaders invite you to join them on a tour of current developments along Lady Bird Lake. The Bike Tour will begin at the Austin Sunshine Camps in Zilker Park. Everyone is invited to attend and each registrant will be provided with a swag bag.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:44 PM

Ward Tisdale makes some pretty good points in this Real Estate Council of Austin's blog post:

RECA.org
Density is Not a Dirty Word
http://www.reca.org/blog/post/densit...t-a-dirty-word

Some snips:

Quote:
Sure Dallas covers more miles, but did you know that Austin is the least densely populated of Texas’ four major cities, housing fewer people per square mile than Dallas, Houston or San Antonio?

Austin’s population has grown 60% since 1980, but our average density has actually fallen slightly.

Density is a dirty word in many areas of our city, but that must change if Austin is to remain affordable and livable as we continue to grow.
Quote:
Relying almost exclusively on single-family development impacts our city’s overall affordability beyond housing prices. Building at higher densities reduces the cost of new infrastructure and public services while also providing the city with far more taxable value per acre. Single-family developments also consume far more land in a city that treasures its open spaces.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:23 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

As a Houstonian, I've always wondered if the amount of townhouses we have here contribute to our density. Condo living in Houston has never caught on here quite like it has in Austin, but many people I know have no intention of moving to the burbs. Townhouses have become the go-to for my single and married friends (with or without children) who want the privacy and affordability of a single family home without having to trek it to the burbs. I've always been perplexed by this kind of tongue in cheek tone people take to townhouses (at least here in Hou they do). I really believe they are an integral part of infill and creating a more densely populated urban core while giving people a more suburban type living arrangement.

Quote:
Ward Tisdale makes some pretty good points in this Real Estate Council of Austin's blog post:

RECA.org
Density is Not a Dirty Word
http://www.reca.org/blog/post/densit...t-a-dirty-word

Some snips:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin