HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:51 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Checking In On The High Line's Final Span, To Open This Fall
Thursday, March 6, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

[Photo by Timothy Schenck, courtesy of Friends of the High Line, via Chelsea Now.]

Quote:
With the High Line's third and last phase set to open this fall, Chelsea Now got a sneak peek of its progress. As reported, the general vibe will be rustic—overgrown, wild, not-so-manicured. (A giant, verdant bowl o' plants is also in the cards.) Along Phase III, officially called High Line at the Rail Yards, walkways will be lined by untamed horticulture that mimics the passageway's past. It curves west at 30th and Tenth Avenue, and then right at Twelfth Avenue, heading north into the heart of Hudson Yards. According to Friends of the High Line director Jenny Gersten, plantings, many of them native to New York, will be most striking in the westernmost part of the stretch, "where visitors can see the self-sown landscape that grew after the trains stopped running in 1980." The groundbreaking happened in the fall of 2012, the pathways' planks are partially laid out, and the whole thing is on track to open later this year, as planned.

[A view from the end of Section II at 30th Street. Photo by Scott Stiffler, courtesy of Friends of the High Line, via Chelsea Now.]

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development