HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:48 PM

Californians aren’t leaving the state en masse—but they are leaving San Francisco

From the Los Angeles Times:

Californians aren’t leaving the state en masse — but they are leaving San Francisco, study says

By SARAH PARVINISTAFF WRITER
MARCH 4, 2021 6:42 PM PT

The number of Californians leaving the Bay Area has increased during the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly from San Francisco, according to a new study released Thursday.

Despite suggestions of a California exodus to other states in recent months, most who leave that region do not move far, though many Sierra counties saw a large influx of migrants from San Francisco compared with 2019.

The share of residents leaving the state has grown since 2015 — from 16% to 18% — a trend that continued in 2020 with “no marked increase,” the report from the nonpartisan California Policy Lab said.

“While a mass exodus from California clearly didn’t happen in 2020, the pandemic did change some historical patterns. For example, fewer people moved into the state to replace those who left,” Natalie Holmes, research fellow at the California Policy Lab, said in a statement. “At the county level, however, San Francisco is experiencing a unique and dramatic exodus, which is causing 50% or 100% increases in Bay Area in-migration for some counties in the Sierras.”

Since the beginning of the pandemic, net domestic exits from the Bay Area “have increased 178% compared to pre-pandemic trends, with a 9% increase in departures and a 21% decrease in entrances in the last three quarters of 2020 relative to the same period in 2019,” according to the study.

During the last three quarters of 2020, San Francisco saw the largest percentage increase in residential exits of any county in the state, data shows.

In the second through fourth quarters of 2020, exits from San Francisco “were 31% higher than during the same period in 2019.” New entrances were 21% lower, the study said. Net exits from San Francisco in the last nine months of 2020 increased nearly 650% compared with the same period in 2019 — from 5,200 net exits to 38,800.

“There is a trend in most urban areas, but it’s most pronounced in San Francisco,” said Evan White, executive director of the California Policy Lab at UC Berkeley.

Part of this flight from San Francisco, White said, may be the result of large tech companies shifting their offices to remote work for the foreseeable future. That kind of freedom may have led employees to move to more affordable counties, he said.

Most who left San Francisco stayed in the Bay Area economic region, according to the study, and some 80% remained in the state — a trend consistent with pre-pandemic patterns. Although Bay Area counties and urban centers in Southern California tend to be the most popular destinations for those leaving San Francisco, counties in the Sierra Nevada mountains saw some of the largest population growth from the Bay Area, especially in the final quarter of 2020.

“It will be interesting to see, when the pandemic comes to an end, whether those folks move back,” White said.

The number of people leaving California typically tracks with the amount entering the state. But the findings show that wasn’t the case in the fourth quarter of 2020, when 267,000 people left the state and only 128,000 entered.

“It doesn’t look like we’re going to see much change in migration for the state as a whole,” White said. “There’s not a huge migration of people and therefore of businesses, and that’s good news for the state, I suppose.”

But in San Francisco, he said, the implications have been “a little more interesting.”

“With people leaving, we’ve seen rents going down pretty dramatically,” he said. “If rents go down in the commercial and residential sector, we may see businesses trying to take advantage of that.”

Net exits from San Francisco in the last nine months of 2020 increased 649% compared with the same period in 2019, from 5,200 net exits to 38,800, according to new findings from the California Policy Lab.
(Associated Press)

Link: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...isco-migration

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:56 PM
The City

This parallels what I think is happening everywhere. People fleeing dense cities for the hinterlands.

Will they come back, or will this be the next, great, suburbanization trend?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:59 PM

Pandemic-era movement has mostly been by the wealthy, so it makes sense. And the advantages of urban living were temporarily erased during the pandemic, so it also makes sense that those with options chose to shelter in their weekend homes or elsewhere.

But SF will likely be just as desirable post-pandemic, as things reopen.

Also, the study has a major fallacy - it's measuring net exits. The problem for urban centers is no entries, not the exits. Urban cores are sustained by immigration, and new college/grad school grads, and the supply of both was frozen during the pandemic.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:16 PM

I know a few people who relocated from San Francisco to the sierras during the pandemic. They aren't going to the suburbs, they are ditching the Bay Area altogether. For those that don't need to be in the Bay Area on a regular basis, this might be permanent. For a lot of them though, this will be temporary.

This is a huge opportunity for startups and other companies that want to build in or move into a well developed urban market. WeWork must be gobbling up office space like crazy behind the scenes...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:37 PM

They'll be back too.

I've seen this before . . . in 2000.

Aside from the ability to work at home, which I think is not as pervasive or permanent as some believe (some companies are lowering wages for home workers, in other cases they will realize that if the boss never sees you he won't promote you), the reason people are leaving the city I believe is that the city is DEAD right now: No bars, clubs, indoor dining, symphony, opera, ballet, theater, concerts etc etc. You have all the bad parts of city living--squalor on the sidewalks, crime, traffic--and none of the good stuff.

But it will come back. Some say there'll be a "Roaring Twenties"-like renaissance. I don't know but I'm quite confident the city will revive and those who've left will want to return.

Full disclosure: I am presently spending the winter in the Southern AZ desert near Tucson where I've owned a second home for 20 years now. But I look forward to getting back to SF as I do every year. Last summer I got used to "parklet dining" and found it rather pleasant. And I haven't had decent Indian food since I left town for the winter.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This parallels what I think is happening everywhere. People fleeing dense cities for the hinterlands.

Will they come back, or will this be the next, great, suburbanization trend?
It does parallel, but it's worse out west. Assuming that SF is similar to LA, they aren't just dealing with stricter restrictions than anywhere else (our restaurants were closed even for outdoor dining for most of the last year), but a homeless/drug crisis that only seems to be getting worse. Everyone has to be wondering why they're paying top dollar to live in a failed social experiment.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 1:19 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

See this article for an alternate take (NB: I know the author personally, though I haven't talked to him in like 10 years...).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesr...h=51ee3be969de

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 5:10 AM

We hastily left San Francisco last March when the mayor shut everything down, but we kept paying rent on our Mission District apartment for a few months until it became clear the COVID restrictions would be in place indefinitely. We're enjoying Cascadian life on a family vacation property until things really open back up, but when that happens, we're definitely moving back to urban living--but not likely back to SF.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 5:42 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

man, different world. i guess we just don’t adapt and change in the contemporary way in the midwest and just slog through everything including pandemics.

our friends bought a home in alpine southern california out of the basin. i worry about fires up there though.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:00 PM

Lets see how rental markets fare this summer. Millennials are getting older, but they don't have the dependents that have traditionally pushed households to the suburbs. The oldest cohort of Gen Z is now in their early to mid 20s, but Gen Z is a smaller generation.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:16 PM
Resu Deretsiger

I fled the bay area before covid due to rent, and there was no need to actually leave the state. There are plenty of cheaper areas out in the boonies or counties that don't count for any of the large metro areas.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:21 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

are housing prices lower? I'll move there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:31 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
are housing prices lower? I'll move there.
My rent in the bay area was $2500 (2 bed 1 bath)....now I pay less than half of that for my mortgage. As far as SF dropping in prices?? Who knows.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:33 PM

Rents are flat or declining in SoCal but home prices are booming:

Southern California home prices, sales jump 13% in January

The IE shows no signs of slowing down either:

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/02/1...searcher-says/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Rents are flat or declining in SoCal but home prices are booming:

Southern California home prices, sales jump 13% in January

The IE shows no signs of slowing down either:

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/02/1...searcher-says/
Home prices are skyrocketing in the LA area (especially Glendale / Pasadena and the foothills).. Seeing 15,30,45 offers isn't unheard of with homes selling a couple hundred k over asking regularly

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 10:36 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I’ve been reading some articles lately on LA creatives moving out to the desert.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 10:57 PM

It's a good sign. I've always said people should be dispersing more throughout SoCal where there's plenty of affordable housing available (by CA standards), instead of everyone trying to cram into the latest hip neighborhood in LA, driving up prices. The hipster transplant living in Silver Lake is such a cliche by now.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:04 PM
BANNED

California is a huge region with attractive rural places that can absorb an influx of wealthy urban dwellers looking to pay any price to get out of their shut down urban neighborhood.

California population numbers will likely continue to grow even during a pandemic, next stop 60 million.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I’ve been reading some articles lately on LA creatives moving out to the desert.
That was to the Joshua Tree area I believe. But I think that was the older creatives.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:29 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
That was to the Joshua Tree area I believe. But I think that was the older creatives.
Joshua Tree is still hot now, even among younger creators.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions