HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:56 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Guess there's new suburbs and old towns that have been absorbed into becoming suburbs.
That's the key here, I think. There are cities that exist solely because of their proximity to a larger, more prominent city, such as Bellevue, and then there are cities that have existed for a long time on their own accord but have recently been engulfed by the suburban sprawl of a larger nearby city, such as Stamford, CT. I don't think it's any surprise that cities like Stamford would have a dense downtown.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

yap. hey can someone explain decatur, ga to me? i'm always disoriented around atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:54 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Where tall buildings are allowed in these municipalities (for instance New Rochelle or White Plains), the buildings tend to have the same or more space dedicated to the parking podium as to apartments, and the buildings tend to be on monster-sized lots due to minimum lot requirements.

Transit villages in Seattle might be a good exception? Or developments within peripheral areas of Portland?
In Bellevue, the parking would mostly be underground, and there'd be maybe half of the typical suburban amount.

Most of our region's denser nodes involve six-story buildings, which typically put most of or all of their parking underground as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
yap. hey can someone explain decatur, ga to me? i'm always disoriented around atlanta.
Decatur is a former small town/city that was swallowed by Atlanta, but is also somewhat close-in - only a few miles east of Downtown. It tends to blend pretty seamlessly with Atlanta's WWII era upscale neighborhoods to the west.

The historic Decatur square sits smack on top of a marta station, so it's very accessible, and is sorta the defacto hip/walkable node near Emory University.

Well it was considered hip/diverse about ten years ago, but nowadays in Atlanta it primarily has a reputation for good schools, walkability, and all the yuppie families that often work at either Emory or the CDC. It's also very expensive.

Think Brookline, MA, but with a mix of craftsman homes and modern builds.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:22 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Decatur is a former small town/city that was swallowed by Atlanta, but is also somewhat close-in - only a few miles east of Downtown. It tends to blend pretty seamlessly with Atlanta's WWII era upscale neighborhoods to the west.

The historic Decatur square sits smack on top of a marta station, so it's very accessible, and is sorta the defacto hip/walkable node near Emory University.

Well it was considered hip/diverse about ten years ago, but nowadays in Atlanta it primarily has a reputation for good schools, walkability, and all the yuppie families that often work at either Emory or the CDC. It's also very expensive.

Think Brookline, MA, but with a mix of craftsman homes and modern builds.
thank you!i knew that it had connections to emory but didn't understand the greater context. also was very curious how it connected to various neighborhoods in atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Something about American cities are that the suburbs tend to really have uniformed density. You really won't see a massive change, bar a few locations.

Miami-Dade comes to mind. NY metro for the most part (bar a few areas... example being Long Island or the dense portion of NJ (Bergen, Essex, Union, Hudson).

Washington DC Metro might be a case study, with pockets of increased density, and then back to a fluid flow of uniformed.

Orange County, CA.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:55 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Visit this thread

It has pages and pages of pics from tons of these places. It was a "guess the secondary downtown" thread.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:28 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7683...7i13312!8i6656

Here's an example of Indianapolis of what I'm envisioning, this is just outside the city center, but shows very European (albeit somewhat gaudy) development style. Does anyone have pictures of similar developments in US cities or suburbs?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:41 PM

^^^ that's only like 5 blocks from the center of Indianapolis, not really suburban. But you're right that mid-rise apartment buildings like that are going up all over the country and are quite fashionable these days. They aren't nearly as dense as they look and not all that European, though. They're usually around 20-30 units/acre, the same density as 2-story houses on small lots in older Northeastern cities. Note that the building on the right is like 80% parking garage:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7681...7i13312!8i6656

This building typology is often known as a "Texas donut" when it has the parking garage wrapped by apartment units. Searching for "texas donut building" brings up many similar multifamily mid-rise developments throughout the country:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o....0.zZQhD4b_a6s

Here's an article:

http://buildabetterburb.org/a-fresh-...exas-doughnut/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:00 PM
Never Dell

That sort of building might be 100-150 units per acre....or 200-300. In denser cities/suburbs it's often the latter, because there's no above-grade parking, units probably tend to be smaller, and FAR is higher. Also 6-7 stories is pretty different from 5.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post

Here's an example of Indianapolis of what I'm envisioning, this is just outside the city center, but shows very European (albeit somewhat gaudy) development style. Does anyone have pictures of similar developments in US cities or suburbs?
Downtown Dadeland in Miami's unincorporated SW suburbs. Complete with underground parking and adjacent to a metrorail station.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.6871...7i13312!8i6656

From above. You can see how the former big box suburban parking lots are being filled in with highrises and TOD. Googles aerial is a bit dated. There is a completed building where a big dirt pile sits in this picture and a 20+ story building (overture dadeland) is about 60% finished where you see a parking lot.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.6869.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Downtown Dadeland in Miami's unincorporated SW suburbs. Complete with underground parking and adjacent to a metrorail station.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.6871...7i13312!8i6656

From above. You can see how the former big box suburban parking lots are being filled in with highrises and TOD. Googles aerial is a bit dated. There is a completed building where a big dirt pile sits in this picture and a 20+ story building (overture dadeland) is about 60% finished where you see a parking lot.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.6869.../data=!3m1!1e3
You rock, this is exactly what I was looking for, can we find examples in city centers that are similar? I would be fascinated to see the "Europeanification" of american city centers, suburban and otherwise. I like to see this type of development, even if isolated.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:25 PM

Quote:

I don't see what is vaguely "European" about this. Looks much more North American than anything I'm familiar with in Europe.

As to that pic, I think every metro in the U.S. would have similar streetscapes. Even third tier Oklahoma City-type metros will have a few blocks of vaguely urban infill.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't see what is vaguely "European" about this. Looks much more North American than anything I'm familiar with in Europe.

As to that pic, I think every metro in the U.S. would have similar streetscapes. Even third tier Oklahoma City-type metros will have a few blocks of vaguely urban infill.
European style density, not aesthetics. I don't expect any US city anywhere to replicate old world european aesthetics. I just mean I want to see cities where there are entire block, or half block residential buildings 5-10 stories tall, preferably where these buildings blank the street on all sides.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:06 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5308...7i13312!8i6656

Here is perhaps a better example than the one in Indianapolis, it's not suburban, but it's the development style I'm interested in seeing. Thorough density.

Also, I am looking for medium density, not Bellevue-style towers that are more the North American archetype.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
European style density, not aesthetics. I don't expect any US city anywhere to replicate old world european aesthetics. I just mean I want to see cities where there are entire block, or half block residential buildings 5-10 stories tall, preferably where these buildings blank the street on all sides.
Half of NYC looks like that. Pretty much any sizable transit node in the U.S., coast to coast, looks like that.

Just look at any major corridor in NYC, and you'll see 5-10 floor buildings. I mean, in Brooklyn alone, Ocean Ave., Ocean Parkway, Eastern Parkway, Bay Parkway, Fourth Ave., Nostrand Ave., Kings Highway are all typified by midrise "European-style" density, for miles.

Here's Ocean Ave. Practically the entire corridor consists of midrise apartment buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6126...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hello All-

I'm sure a thread for this already may exist. But I'm curious what cities have highly dense residential areas outside their cores, and what suburbs might be highly dense? I'm thinking European Style development with 5-10 story buildings that span multiple blocks. I am not aware where this may exist, but an obvious and appropriate example would be the Wharf opening in the next month in Washington DC, Fenway District in Boston, as well as pretty much any large suburb of DC in Virginia. For example the Mosaic District in Fairfax.
Santa Monica seems like what you're looking for. I wouldn't call it European style, I would call it North American style development and density. Dense residential districts some historic, some post war garden units mixed with a growing supply of modern infill all of which is on a street grid. Had rail access, scrapped it, then reconstructed and restored rail service to downtown Los Angeles with the Expo Line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0165...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:54 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7618...7i13312!8i6656

I know "Atlanta" and "dense" are pretty much oxymorons, but new development in Inman Park fits the description pretty well.

Also, I think Miami Beach does density pretty well. Although it is a part of the core of the greater Miami metro, Miami Beach technically isn't the CBD of the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7794...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but in Chicago one might bring into this discussion East Hyde Park, downtown Evanston, and downtown Oak Park as being areas outside the main Central Area of Chicago with at least some highrise density and rail access to downtown (the 'L' for Oak Park and Evanston, Metra Electric for Hyde Park).

There would probably be more, in places like Jefferson Park, or at Howard, and maybe McKinley Park just to name few places that seem like natural fits, if Chicago didn't have such a backwards system of zoning entirely suffocated by aldermanic priviledge where a few noisy NIMBYs can cause an alderman to prevent anything over 3 stories from being built, even directly next to an 'L' station. If Chicago ever wises up and forces aldermen to allow appropriately dense zoning within half a walking mile of 'L' stations, it will A) become an even better city, B) dramatically increase utilization of the 'L' in areas that currently don't make good use of it, C) increase property tax revenues, and D) see an increase in car-free households. I hope to see that in my lifetime, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. As it is, we have suburban downtowns with only commuter rail that is infrequent outside of rush hour allowing significantly higher density than Chicago neighborhoods with 24-hour 'L' and multiple bus line service. Some, like Jefferson Park, have multiple commuter rail options, 24-hour 'L' service, and numerous bus routes, as well as excellent freeway access, and yet they clutch their pearls at anything over 3 stories. It's a travesty and an expensive waste of infrastructure.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:24 PM
Registered Ugly

Hamtramck has the highest population density overall of any city in Michigan, and it is wholly contained within the boundaries of the City of Detroit. You can actually see the boundary of the city from satellite. The population density is 11,000 ppsm. On the other hand, Highland Park is another city wholly contained within the boundaries of the city of Detroit, and adjacent to Hamtramck. It suffered a different fate, and its density is a mere 4,000 ppsm.

Hamtramck - Google Maps 9-27-2017, 9-20-55 AM by B R, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions