HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
If you're talking about extensive tower block residential neighbourhoods a significant distance away from the downtown or urban core, aside from NYC, Washington DC, Chicago (along the lakefront) and Miami, there aren't too many other American cities that have a lot of that kind of development in their outer neighbourhoods or surrounding suburbs.

Canadian cities do have a lot of such areas, though -- particularly the Greater Toronto-Hamilton area (thousands of suburban mid and hi-rise towers blocks!) Ottawa, London ON, Kitchener-Waterloo, Greater Vancouver, Halifax, Winnipeg and even cities such as Kingston, Belleville, Sudbury and many other small Ontario cities in the 40-200,000 thousand range will have an area or two where you'll find bunches of hi-rise apartment towers clustered along major suburban arterial roads or beside shopping malls.
Yeah, I’m confused: are modern tower block developments “European” though? Because that’s not very European to me, even though they’re a feature of Europe, Asia, etc in the modern age.

America of course has plenty of outer suburban areas with walkable main streets. That’s more “European” to me than tower blocks, though

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 7:08 AM

I'm way late to this, but New York has a ton of examples of this, such as Newark or Patterson.

LA has examples of this too, in places such as Palms (neighborhood) and Santa Ana (suburb).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I'm way late to this, but New York has a ton of examples of this, such as Newark or Patterson.

LA has examples of this too, in places such as Palms (neighborhood) and Santa Ana (suburb).
A lot of the older NYC-area suburbs have those linear, transit oriented apartment block corridors, a pretty unusual typology in the U.S.

An older corridor in Yonkers:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9260...7i16384!8i8192

A late 20th century corridor in Hackensack:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8876...7i16384!8i8192

A developing corridor in Stamford:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0400...7i16384!8i8192

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions