HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 5:33 PM

Pet valu is opening here.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:21 PM

New building permit posted for retail tenant fit up. Add TD Bank to the retail podium.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
New building permit posted for retail tenant fit up. Add TD Bank to the retail podium.
That's good to see a tenant from the Mall moving over. Says to me they are still planning on demolishing the mall, and hopefully sooner than later. I thought we would have seen some movement on Phase 2 by now. Not like Ottawa is desperate for housing or anything...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesintheSky View Post
That's good to see a tenant from the Mall moving over. Says to me they are still planning on demolishing the mall, and hopefully sooner than later. I thought we would have seen some movement on Phase 2 by now. Not like Ottawa is desperate for housing or anything...
The problem is the next tower is supposed to be directly above the current SDM location. They were originally planned to move into the base of the new tower but, once constructed, they decided the space was no longer suitable for them. So now we have one of the busiest, recently-renovated Shoppers in town with nowhere to go. Unless they change the phasing of the towers, we might be screwed :-(

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 7:24 PM

Fingers crossed the move on phase 3 first instead? Thats the two actually nice towers in the project.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 9:12 PM

I don't see why they can't rearrange their plans and start demolishing the other half of the mall first and start the buildings there. With TD moving out, the Gov space on the other end can move over to where TD is beside Shoppers, and some other tenants can probably move to, so that the Shoppers end of the mall is full and then they start by demolishing the other side. Shoppers can get a new space in one of the other new buildings.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:38 PM

Portion of Westgate Shopping Centre could be torn down as soon as this fall, councillor says

https://obj.ca/portion-owestgate-sho...ll-councillor/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Portion of Westgate Shopping Centre could be torn down as soon as this fall, councillor says

Charlie Senack, OBJ
March 1, 2024 3:35 PM ET

A portion of Westgate Shopping Centre could be torn down later this year as development at the site proceeds, according to River Ward Coun. Riley Brockington.

Phase 1 of the development is complete, with a 24-storey apartment complex containing 216 units built on the former site of Monkey Joe’s restaurant, which closed in 2019.

Shoppers Drug Mart, currently located in the mall on the west side of the site at the corner of Carling and Merivale avenues, was supposed to relocate into the new apartment building’s ground floor retail space. Brockington suggests that will not happen. “Apparently the ground floor is not sufficient and so they never moved. They have it in their lease to stay where they are,” said Brockington.

Phase 2 of development on the site was slated to be built where the Shoppers Drug Mart now stands. “I believe the second tower will (now) be located to the north of the current tower,” said Brockington. The 68-year-old mall was slated to stay in operation for at least another three to five years until phase 2 construction was complete. However, because of the recent change in plans, the northeastern, two-storey section of the mall closest to Merivale Road could now come down as early as this fall, Brockington said. Plans call for the entire mall to be demolished in three to five years. Brockington said a public meeting will be held in June, where he expects an update from mall owners RioCan.

“We’ve kicked around three options,” said Brockington. “I need RioCan to tell the public which option they are going with.” OBJ reached out to RioCan for comment, but did not receive a response.

The stretch of Carling Avenue where Westgate is located is in the midst of a massive transformation.

Plans to redevelop Ottawa’s oldest mall have been in the works since 2019 and are scheduled to take 15 to 20 years to finish. Once complete, the site will house five towers containing 8,230 square metres of commercial space, 1,146 residential units and central public green space. Just down the street, the Travelodge Hotel has been torn down to make way for three highrises and two smaller buildings containing 900 rental units. The hotel's former Japanese-style pavilion — also known as the "tiki hut" — was supposed to be incorporated into the development.

The heritage-designated building was instead demolished after developers said it could not be restored or relocated. An exact replica will be rebuilt instead, to be used as a common room.

Between Merivale Road and Clyde Avenue alone, Brockington said more than two dozen development plans have been approved.

“You’re talking over 20 towers. That could be over 10,000 people on just two blocks,” he said. “As properties age and opportunities present themselves, developers will think about how they can use mixed-use space. You’re going to see more density. When homes come to the end of their lifecycle, they aren’t going to be replaced with the same size and shape.”

Carling Avenue, an artery currently focused on vehicle traffic, has already seen lots of development. But despite the street's modernization, Toon Dreessen of Architects DCA said the thoroughfare lacks an official plan.

“I think Carling really suffers from some form of an identity crisis,” said Dreessen. “Carling is fractured politically. It runs through multiple wards. It has so many different purposes and identities, so there is nothing cohesive for it to be put together.” Dreessen said he doesn’t view Carling under the same scope as Bank, Preston or Somerset streets. Instead, his vision is for it to be a boulevard that would link the various communities it passes through, all the way from Bayshore in the west to Dow’s Lake in the east.

“I think Carling should go on a road diet. It should be a narrower road with slower speeds and dedicated bus-only transit and cycle infrastructure,” Dreessen said. “It should be a mixture of mid-rise buildings — eight to 12 storeys — and then have higher buildings at key nodes in transit hubs. These key hubs should be pre-zoned and up-zoned for taller towers.” Bay Ward Coun. Theresa Kavanagh agrees. She said the community needs intensification to survive.

“Carling Avenue used to be the main road to come into town. It was the highway before the Queensway was built,” she said. “Its character has changed over the years, but it’s now part of our urban landscape and we need to make it more liveable.” The City of Ottawa has long talked about putting bus rapid transit down Carling, but it’s never happened. Kavanagh said that is because more safety studies need to occur.

Parts of Carling will one day benefit from light rail transit, with Stage 2 of the Confederation Line going through Lincoln Fields. Kavanagh hopes the bus routes will soon change to accommodate new travel patterns. “My dream, and I’m pushing for it, is to have bus rapid transit and bike lanes keep going west past Bayshore,” she said. “Currently, the number 85 goes down Carling and goes to Bayshore. Eventually it may even need to go beyond Bayshore to Crystal Beach. We do have DND (Department of National Defence) over there and so it’s another way of coming in.” Kavanagh, who lives in Britannia, also said she’d like to see Carling Avenue become a more friendly place for cyclists and pedestrians. She said she envisions murals painted onto buildings and trees lining the street to make it feel “less cold and awful.”

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 9:10 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Lease or no its kind of twilight zone that a Shoppers Drug Mart can trump the process of this development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Lease or no its kind of twilight zone that a Shoppers Drug Mart can trump the process of this development.
To be fair that particular Shopper's is kind of a big deal. AFAIK it's the only 24/7 Shopper's left in the city, and has a fairly comprehensive grocery section including more fresh produce, dairy, and baked goods than any other Shopper's I've seen. It's saved my ass a few times after touching down at YOW around 1am and having an empty fridge waiting for me at home.

Fun fact the pharmacist there told me that location is only closed for two hours all year, from 10am-noon on Remembrance Day.

It would've been nice to see them get a more modern space in the completed tower. I wonder whose fault it was that got screwed up. Hopefully the re-jigging of the construction phases means they'll get a suitable unit somewhere else in the development. Can't imagine RioCan would completely boot them out once their lease is up, given how much traffic it generates.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:16 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
To be fair that particular Shopper's is kind of a big deal. AFAIK it's the only 24/7 Shopper's left in the city, and has a fairly comprehensive grocery section including more fresh produce, dairy, and baked goods than any other Shopper's I've seen. It's saved my ass a few times after touching down at YOW around 1am and having an empty fridge waiting for me at home.

Fun fact the pharmacist there told me that location is only closed for two hours all year, from 10am-noon on Remembrance Day.

It would've been nice to see them get a more modern space in the completed tower. I wonder whose fault it was that got screwed up. Hopefully the re-jigging of the construction phases means they'll get a suitable unit somewhere else in the development. Can't imagine RioCan would completely boot them out once their lease is up, given how much traffic it generates.
That is all very true.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Charlie Senack, OBJ
March 1, 2024 3:35 PM ET

A portion of Westgate Shopping Centre could be torn down later this year as development at the site proceeds, according to River Ward Coun. Riley Brockington.

Phase 1 of the development is complete, with a 24-storey apartment complex containing 216 units built on the former site of Monkey Joe’s restaurant, which closed in 2019.

Shoppers Drug Mart, currently located in the mall on the west side of the site at the corner of Carling and Merivale avenues, was supposed to relocate into the new apartment building’s ground floor retail space. Brockington suggests that will not happen. “Apparently the ground floor is not sufficient and so they never moved. They have it in their lease to stay where they are,” said Brockington.

Phase 2 of development on the site was slated to be built where the Shoppers Drug Mart now stands. “I believe the second tower will (now) be located to the north of the current tower,” said Brockington. The 68-year-old mall was slated to stay in operation for at least another three to five years until phase 2 construction was complete. However, because of the recent change in plans, the northeastern, two-storey section of the mall closest to Merivale Road could now come down as early as this fall, Brockington said. Plans call for the entire mall to be demolished in three to five years. Brockington said a public meeting will be held in June, where he expects an update from mall owners RioCan.

“We’ve kicked around three options,” said Brockington. “I need RioCan to tell the public which option they are going with.” OBJ reached out to RioCan for comment, but did not receive a response.

The stretch of Carling Avenue where Westgate is located is in the midst of a massive transformation.

Plans to redevelop Ottawa’s oldest mall have been in the works since 2019 and are scheduled to take 15 to 20 years to finish. Once complete, the site will house five towers containing 8,230 square metres of commercial space, 1,146 residential units and central public green space. Just down the street, the Travelodge Hotel has been torn down to make way for three highrises and two smaller buildings containing 900 rental units. The hotel's former Japanese-style pavilion — also known as the "tiki hut" — was supposed to be incorporated into the development.

The heritage-designated building was instead demolished after developers said it could not be restored or relocated. An exact replica will be rebuilt instead, to be used as a common room.

Between Merivale Road and Clyde Avenue alone, Brockington said more than two dozen development plans have been approved.

“You’re talking over 20 towers. That could be over 10,000 people on just two blocks,” he said. “As properties age and opportunities present themselves, developers will think about how they can use mixed-use space. You’re going to see more density. When homes come to the end of their lifecycle, they aren’t going to be replaced with the same size and shape.”

Carling Avenue, an artery currently focused on vehicle traffic, has already seen lots of development. But despite the street's modernization, Toon Dreessen of Architects DCA said the thoroughfare lacks an official plan.

“I think Carling really suffers from some form of an identity crisis,” said Dreessen. “Carling is fractured politically. It runs through multiple wards. It has so many different purposes and identities, so there is nothing cohesive for it to be put together.” Dreessen said he doesn’t view Carling under the same scope as Bank, Preston or Somerset streets. Instead, his vision is for it to be a boulevard that would link the various communities it passes through, all the way from Bayshore in the west to Dow’s Lake in the east.

“I think Carling should go on a road diet. It should be a narrower road with slower speeds and dedicated bus-only transit and cycle infrastructure,” Dreessen said. “It should be a mixture of mid-rise buildings — eight to 12 storeys — and then have higher buildings at key nodes in transit hubs. These key hubs should be pre-zoned and up-zoned for taller towers.” Bay Ward Coun. Theresa Kavanagh agrees. She said the community needs intensification to survive.

“Carling Avenue used to be the main road to come into town. It was the highway before the Queensway was built,” she said. “Its character has changed over the years, but it’s now part of our urban landscape and we need to make it more liveable.” The City of Ottawa has long talked about putting bus rapid transit down Carling, but it’s never happened. Kavanagh said that is because more safety studies need to occur.

Parts of Carling will one day benefit from light rail transit, with Stage 2 of the Confederation Line going through Lincoln Fields. Kavanagh hopes the bus routes will soon change to accommodate new travel patterns. “My dream, and I’m pushing for it, is to have bus rapid transit and bike lanes keep going west past Bayshore,” she said. “Currently, the number 85 goes down Carling and goes to Bayshore. Eventually it may even need to go beyond Bayshore to Crystal Beach. We do have DND (Department of National Defence) over there and so it’s another way of coming in.” Kavanagh, who lives in Britannia, also said she’d like to see Carling Avenue become a more friendly place for cyclists and pedestrians. She said she envisions murals painted onto buildings and trees lining the street to make it feel “less cold and awful.”

Man, this Toon Dreessen guy sure has a lot of wild opinions for someone who designs residential renos. If it were up to him, we would convert the 417 into a cycling highway full of cargo bikes. Carling is a major east-west arterial road, not a street. Carling on a road diet would be a mistake, especially when we're building the largest hospital in Eastern Ontario where people from all over the region drive to it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:44 PM

Eh, I drive Carling daily during rush hours, it's problem are pretty much isolated to a couple of awful intersections but not really the volume of traffic. I am personally convinced that the only real problems are;
1. the island park/holland/fisher and Carling clusterfuck
2. Carling and the 417 + Kirkwood (they should have removed Kirkwood underpass for everyone but the Fire HQ and make it a giant double underpass traffic circle

I honestly think reducing lanes on Carling (either via bus lane or just removing 1 lane each direction) would IMPROVE traffic flow since there would be less people trying to jockey around.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbro View Post
Eh, I drive Carling daily during rush hours, it's problem are pretty much isolated to a couple of awful intersections but not really the volume of traffic. I am personally convinced that the only real problems are;
2. Carling and the 417 + Kirkwood (they should have removed Kirkwood underpass for everyone but the Fire HQ and make it a giant double underpass traffic circle

I honestly think reducing lanes on Carling (either via bus lane or just removing 1 lane each direction) would IMPROVE traffic flow since there would be less people trying to jockey around.
Carling is an extremely important overflow when the downtown Queensway gets blocked, I can't see them ever reducing it to two lanes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:

Yup, deal with those two, and it could improve the situation quite a bit. I'd like to see two car lanes taken over by bus lanes. Serve those bus lanes with 5 minute service, connecting to Bayshore, Lincoln Fields and Dow's Lake, and I think that would help reduce the volume of cars. Pretty confident it would also be possible to add bike lanes by reducing the width of the car lanes just a tad.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:34 PM

Idiots already drive in the bus lanes in the few places Carling even has them. Same thing happens on Heron and even see it on the 417 between Moodie and Eagleson. There needs to be more enforcement.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Idiots already drive in the bus lanes in the few places Carling even has them. Same thing happens on Heron and even see it on the 417 between Moodie and Eagleson. There needs to be more enforcement.
Time to introduce the bus lane camera.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Time to introduce the bus lane camera.
Agreed, but I'm seeing more and more cars with blatantly illegal plate covers to obscure their visibility (or cars with no plate at all). An alternative to cameras would be to fit a snowplow to the front of every bus. Or something like I saw on German riot police vehicles when I visited recently.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but I'm seeing more and more cars with blatantly illegal plate covers to obscure their visibility (or cars with no plate at all). An alternative to cameras would be to fit a snowplow to the front of every bus. Or something like I saw on German riot police vehicles when I visited recently.
What the heck is the police doing? I see a lot of those too every time I go out. That and people not bothering clearing snow. What are the cops even doing?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:

Agreed, I live not far from it, and it's empty 90% of the time.... like to the point that, apart from a few hours around rush hour, you can leisurely walk across it much of the time. It's great from a drivers perspective - as even when there is construction and lanes are blocked (usually around Clyde), traffic still moves relatively quickly. This is what makes me convinced you could reduce it to 2 lanes each way without substantial traffic impacts. We shouldn't keep an entire parallel highway to the queensway sitting empty most of the time just in case the Queensway has traffic. Meanwhile, with all of the density planned along it, there needs to be dedicated transit space, wider sidewalks and bike infra to accomodate people moving around in things that take up less space than a car. Big time density and car-only infra just don't mix.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa