HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 8:57 PM

Custom-car fans do brake for Barris
The creator of the Batmobile and Munsters Koach, still revving strong at 85, has a block named after him.
By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer
March 24, 2007

His eye-popping autos have been traffic stoppers for more than 60 years.

On Friday, though, it was car customizer George Barris himself who was causing the huge traffic jam at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Riverton Avenue in North Hollywood.

There was Barris, perched high above the street in a city cherry picker, being serenaded by a Marilyn Monroe look-alike as hundreds of admirers clustered around examples of his automotive artistry looked on.

Over to the side was the Munsters Koach, built from three Model T bodies for "The Munsters" television series. Parked a few yards away was the General Lee, the 1969 Dodge Charger on the TV show "The Dukes of Hazzard." Next to it was the Batmobile from the 1960s "Batman" series. On a nearby grassy area was the DeLorean Time Machine from the film "Back to the Future."

With a flourish, Barris, who is in his mid-80s, pulled away a piece of cloth to reveal a sign high up on a street lamp proclaiming the half-block stretch of Riverton next to his customizing shop "George Barris Place."

"From this day forward it will cost you $35 for each 20 minutes to park on this street," quipped TV weather forecaster Fritz Coleman from beneath the commemorative sign.

Car buffs from all over were there to cheer Barris on his big day. Celebrities — some of whom drove or appreciated his cars — were also on hand, including actors Bo Derek, Erik Estrada, John Corbett and John Schneider.

Steven Plunkett flew in from London, Canada. "George is an icon in Canada as well," said Plunkett, whose favorite Barris creation is the Monkeemobile, built from a 1966 Pontiac GTO.

"I can identify with it. As a kid I was a huge Monkees fan."

Alfred DiMora drove in from Palm Springs. "George is a legend in the car-customizing business," said DiMora, himself a car designer and manufacturer whose vehicles include the $2-million Natalia. He produces 75 of them a year.

Admiring the original 1966 Batmobile was Tony Fornaro, a record company executive from Valencia. He was wearing a "Batman" T-shirt as he snapped photos of the sleek black vehicle, which started out as a 1955 Lincoln Futura.

"It's one of two original Batmobiles that have survived," Fornaro said. "Warner Bros. owns the rights to the 'Batman' character, which is why the logo isn't on the doors here. It kind of ruins it for everybody. But it's still awesome. After 40 years it never gets old."

The Batmobile also was North Hollywood-area City Councilman Tom LaBonge's favorite. That's because "it came out of the Bat Cave, which is actually the Bronson Cave in Griffith Park," said LaBonge, who arranged Friday's ceremony and told the crowd that "Southern California loves cars and George Barris has done more for cars than anyone in the world."

Over at the steel-sided, gadget-laden DeLorean, Sharon Novins sat in the driver's seat beneath its open gull-wing door as her husband, Mike Novins, took a snapshot. She struggled to climb out.

"It's really low. 'Back to the Future'? I felt like I was going back in the past — to my childhood," said Novins, who with her husband runs a San Fernando Valley classic-car business.

The DeLorean was also Noah Claxton's top choice.

"It goes up to 88 miles an hour and it goes into the future. It even has hover conversion. Most cars don't have that," explained the 11-year-old Northridge sixth-grader.

Back on the ground, Barris declined to name his favorite. "It's like asking the father of a family of 10 which is his favorite child," he said. "They're all my favorites when I'm working on them."

He allowed that the hardest cars to customize were K.I.T.T. from the "Knight Rider" television series and "The Dukes of Hazzard's" General Lee. They were used in rigorous stunts, and Barris provided his own drivers to baby them.

"I had the best stunt crew in the world," he said.

The orange-colored General Lee, with its distinctive 01 numbering on its doors, brought back memories for Schneider, who portrayed Bo Duke in the original series. "I think the '69 Dodge Charger is by far the sexiest, hottest muscle car ever made," he said.

But he brushed off the notion that the car might have muscled its way into being the real star of the show. When he and Tom Wopat starred in "The Dukes of Hazzard," the series ranked No. 1, Schneider said. When the duo left, it plunged to No. 65, he said.

The ceremony lasted about an hour. But before it ended, some of the custom cars' engines were fired up.

The Munster Koach's 289 Ford Cobra — built with what Barris has described as Jahns high-compression pistons, 10 chrome-plated Stromberg carburetors, an Isky cam and a set of Bobby Barr racing headers — was so loud that it set off the alarm system of an SUV down the street.

Barris grinned at that. When it comes to his cars, he's always liked to go full throttle.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:00 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Yet the city is still struggling to attract cultural tourists. While New York, London and Paris each attract 10 million to 15 million such visitors per year, Los Angeles draws only about 2.5 million, according to a 2004 study by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation.

“Why is that?” asked the philanthropist Eli Broad, the city’s most visible and generous champion of the arts. “Perception. We have not promoted cultural travel. That’s going to start happening, and that’s going to get the city more and more attention.”

Whereas 40 percent of visitors to New York and London take part in some sort of cultural activity — a museum visit, a theatrical performance or the like — and 85 percent of visitors to Paris do so, only about 1 in 10 tourists to Los Angeles visit a cultural site. To remedy that Mr. Broad and other civic leaders are bargaining on their investment in the commercial and cultural districts that are taking shape downtown, like the Grand Avenue Project and L.A. Live, efforts that include hotels, restaurants, shops and entertainment centers. “It will mean a big boost to the economy, and a big boost to how our city is viewed internationally,” Mr. Broad said. “It’s not simply sunshine, beaches and Hollywood here.”
LACMA and Getty Center together account for the majority of those visitors. About 1 million visitors visit LACMA a year and 1.2 million people visit the Getty Center annually.

I highly doubt that 15 million people are involved in any sort of cultural activity when in NYC. Paris? Maybe. The Met attracts about 5 million annually while the Louvre attracts 8 million visitors.

No doubt that LA's cultural status will over time gain in popularity and recognition. In its current state it already is considered a dynamic cultural powerhouse as expressed in the above articles. But LA will never attract the same number of visitors that NYC, London, and Paris do unless people start viewing the city in a whole new light. As Eli Broad states, "It's not simply sunshine, beaches and Hollywood here."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
LACMA and Getty Center together account for the majority of those visitors. About 1 million visitors visit LACMA a year and 1.2 million people visit the Getty Center annually.
But I suspect most of those are locals, which don't figure into the numbers.

As it is, LA is certainly recognized as the major cultural destination within the Western US, but people in other parts still see it as Hollywood and Disneyland. But as the West in general continues to grow, so will LA's cultural reputation.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Another thing about Los Angeles is decentralization, as expressed in the articles. In Chicago and DC, all the major cultural attractions are located in one area (Museum Campus and National Mall). What Los Angeles needs to do first is to establish Downtown as the true city center. Pretty soon Grand Avenue will be known as being one pf the major cultural centers of the world. But Grand Avenue will still be lacking in museums. We have (or will have) enough performance venues to rival Lincoln Center, but the only museum atop Bunker Hill is MOCA and it still has yet to work its way onto the tourist map. I hope to see MOCA expand possibly into what is currently the Omni Hotel. Bunker Hill just currently lacks the space for more cultural attractions. I would love to see all of those condominiums located behind Hope St. be gone! They eventually will be gone, but whether or not they will be replaced by museums and performance venues is still unknown. Based on the growth of Grand Avenue over the past few years, one CAN assume that is very possible.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat

As it is, LA is certainly recognized as the major cultural destination within the Western US, but people in other parts still see it as Hollywood and Disneyland. But as the West in general continues to grow, so will LA's cultural reputation.
Well, no, it isn't--and that's the problem. LA isn't "certainly recognized as the major cultural destination within the Western US." Outside the Southland, that just isn't the common perception--despite the merits of LA's excellent arts scenes. For a city that has a well-earned reputation for advertising itself, LA has done a poor job marketing its museums, galleries and music ensembles. LA really needs to work on that, in order to boost cultural tourism to more appropriate levels.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Well, no, it isn't--and that's the problem. LA isn't "certainly recognized as the major cultural destination within the Western US."
If that's not the case, then which city in the Western US draws the most cultural tourists from within the region? I don't have the numbers but I doubt it's San Francisco.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:28 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post

I'm sure the same can be said for NYC and Paris. Certainly not everyone who visits the Met and the Louvre are tourists. I always read reviews about the Art Institute of Chicago and many of the reviews are from Chicagoans themselves and all they do is just give it great reviews. The Getty Center seems to impress and a lot more people visit the Getty, LACMA, and La Brea Tar Pits than you believe. According to the LA Music Center's website, the Music Center attracts 1.6 million people annually. That's pretty damn impressive considering Lincoln Center attracts 5 million each year.

LA has just started to emerge as a true world class city over the last 5-10 years IMO. Other world class cities such as NYC, London, and Paris have been the leading cultural centers of the world long before LA was even urbanized. All the other world cities are much older than LA, yet LA managed to make its way up to Alpha world city status in a mere century. Given LA's age, it's pretty damn impressive how quickly LA emerged onto the cultural scene and how quickly it took for it to build its status as being the cultural powerhouse that it is today.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:34 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
If that's not the case, then which city in the Western US draws the most cultural tourists from within the region? I don't have the numbers but I doubt it's San Francisco.
San Francisco has a superior theater scene, but LA overall has a better performing arts scene.

I also believe LA's range of museums is far more varied than SF's museums.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:44 PM

^My point, though is which city draws the most number of cultural tourists, which is the point of the article? When major traveling exhibitions show in only one city, which city is it? When major traveling broadway shows play in only one locale, where is it? Which cultural institutions are the most patronized by visitors from outside its city? (Getty? Disney Hall?)

Last edited by bobcat; Mar 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Most? San Francisco? What?

When you wrote your post, did you only mean to say that LA city attracted more cultural tourists than any other individual municipality in the Western US? If so, then I misunderstood you. As it is, it appeared you were making a much more sweeping claim about LA, and one that does not seem to be borne out by the stats in the article.

With the article pointing out only 10% of visitors to the Southland enjoy a (high) cultural activity, it seems obvious there is a mismatch between LA's fine cultural qualities and its lackluster cultural tourism. Which is to say, LA has some work to do to attract suitably larger crowds to its museums, galleries, concert halls, and playhouses.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:

When you wrote your post, did you only mean to say that LA city attracted more cultural tourists than any other individual municipality in the Western US?
This is exactly what I was saying.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
My point, though is which city draws the most number of cultural tourists, which is the point of the article?
That's not what the article is about--it's about how LA is underperforming in the arena of cultural tourism, given its assets. You're the one who wants to try and bitchslap San Francisco, a city that isn't even mentioned in the article. San Francisco is not likely the reason LA hasn't successfully sold its cultural assets to tourists and potential tourists.

Quote:
When major traveling exhibitions show in only one city, which city is it? When major traveling broadway shows play in only one locale, where is it? Which cultural institutions are the most patronized by visitors from outside its city? (Getty? Disney Hall?)
Las Vegas!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:54 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
This is exactly what I was saying.
Ah, okay. When you wrote of LA being "recognized" as a singular cultural attraction in the Western US, it seemed you were making a sweeping claim about how people perceive LA, while the article makes an opposing claim.

It would be fascinating to see how many cultural tourists come to California cities. Got any statistics?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:55 PM

<Sigh> Look, I wasn't trying to "bitchslap" SF. My point was that in the Western US, LA is the largest cultural destination within its region. And as the Western region grows in size LA's reputation will grow as well. The only reason I brought up San Francisco is because it's obviously the only other city in the Western US that could possibly have a claim to that distinction.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Las Vegas is a Western colossus for big, successful Broadway shows as well as for live comedy and popular music. Indeed, sometimes Vegas has a lock on Broadway plays--it was, contractually, the first and only Western city to show Avenue Q for over two years after the road troupe set off, for example.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Las Vegas is a Western colossus for big, successful Broadway shows as well as for live comedy and popular music. Indeed, sometimes Vegas has a lock on Broadway plays--it was, contractually, the first and only Western city to show Avenue Q for over two years after the road troupe set off, for example.
Yes that's been true for some shows.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 2:12 AM

People don't come to California for cultural tourism. They go to SF for scenic beauty and dining and LA for the beaches and shopping. Unless California museums can show FAMOUS works of art, or atleast house them in a famous building, the average tourist isn't coming here for cultural tourism. MOCA consistenly has some of the best shows and can draw huge art lovers from around the world visiting Los Angeles, but the common tourist isn't going to be stimulated by Mike Kelley or John Baldassari, contemporary artists most people have never heard of.

So I wonder what dominates cultural tourism. My guess is that it's broadway shows/musicals and European antiquity museums, which are not California's strengths. We don't have the major Rembrandts or Titians.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
People don't come to California for cultural tourism. They go to SF for scenic beauty and dining and LA for the beaches and shopping.
Hey, don't forget the theme parks!

Seriously, the reason I mentioned LA being the Western cultural destination is that it DOES draw plenty of cultural tourists from within a 1000 mile radius. Ever since the Getty Center opened there has been a huge surge in bus tours from places like Arizona and Nevada just to visit LA's cultural institutions. Remember that the Southwestern US is a mecca for retirees and they love this stuff!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:23 AM
BANNED

don't want to get too into this, but i have to say that the article does not seem to consider travelling exhibitions such as broadway shows to be "ownable" by a city which it is merely passing through, just as phoenix is not more a cultural capital by virtue of the fact that Regal's Cinemas is screening the latest hollywood flicks.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 4:12 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Hey, don't forget the theme parks!

Seriously, the reason I mentioned LA being the Western cultural destination is that it DOES draw plenty of cultural tourists from within a 1000 mile radius. Ever since the Getty Center opened there has been a huge surge in bus tours from places like Arizona and Nevada just to visit LA's cultural institutions. Remember that the Southwestern US is a mecca for retirees and they love this stuff!
I'd love to see the statistics you're using to draw your conclusions here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West