HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:12 PM

And, wow, this is big!

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/ca...hare&id=201408

Quote:
Caterpillar Inc. bringing regional HQ to downtown Tucson, 600 jobs

Caterpillar Inc. is coming to downtown Tucson, bringing hundreds of six-figure jobs to the region, Arizona’s governor and local officials are expected to announce later this morning.

Between 40 and 60 employees will relocate into the county-owned building at 97 E. Congress St., while a new facility is built for Caterpillar, also be in the downtown area.
For comparison, only about 500 employees work at the TEP building.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
And, wow, this is big!

Great news! Any idea where they will be building?

Love the container developments.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post

Love the container developments.
No news on the location in any of the articles I've read. I'm torn between hoping they work with the new owners of 1 South Church to ensure the second tower gets built there and hoping they build something totally separate. The parking lot across from the TEP building, which is currently slated for a city-owned garage some day, would be perfect.

EDIT - IIRC, the building proposed next to 1 South Church is projected to be full residential, so this would be separate but could expedite development there. The La Placita property would be another option.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
And, wow, this is big!

Great news!!!

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:27 PM

More info from the Sentinel.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/...k-50m-project/

Quote:
Caterpillar moving 600 jobs, regional HQ to Tucson; Rio Nuevo to back $50M project

Taxpayers will back the $50 million project. The Rio Nuevo redevelopment district board plans to make an upfront payment of $2 million to defray the company's moving costs, and will finance, design and construct the headquarters and an attached parking garage. Caterpillar would then lease back the building. The Rio Nuevo Board is set to approve the deal at a Wednesday afternoon meeting.

Caterpillar will lease space in a county-owned building Downtown while a new structure is built on Rio Nuevo land just west of Interstate 10, officials said Tuesday.
EDIT - Again, for comparison's sake, the TEP/Unisource building cost about $60 million.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
According to this article: "After the company constructs a new office complex on a vacant Rio Nuevo lot south of Congress Street, on the West Side"

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/...k-50m-project/

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:47 PM

Caterpillar Regional HQ in downtown

Quote:
And, wow, this is big!

This is certainly the employment shot in the arm that downtown needs to keep the momentum going on the proposed projects such as the Arena Site and Ronstadt Center redevelopment, in addition to adding lots more demand for housing downtown. (And it will probably be a windfall for The Gadsden Co. if the Caterpillar HQ is built on their land west of I-10.)

According to documents posted on Rio Nuevo's website, Caterpillar will initially have a four-year lease (plus two one-year extensions) on the 40k s.f. county building at 97 E. Congress, and may also be leasing 9k s.f. on the 11th floor of the BofA building. And Rio Nuevo's special board meeting tomorrow is solely to approve the development proposal as outlined in the Tucson Sentinel article.

If everything gets approved, this deal is definitely a game-changer for downtown that will be felt for years to come.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
This is certainly the employment shot in the arm that downtown needs to keep the momentum going on the proposed projects such as the Arena Site and Ronstadt Center redevelopment, in addition to adding lots more demand for housing downtown. (And it will probably be a windfall for The Gadsden Co. if the Caterpillar HQ is built on their land west of I-10.)

According to documents posted on Rio Nuevo's website, Caterpillar will initially have a four-year lease (plus two one-year extensions) on the 40k s.f. county building at 97 E. Congress, and may also be leasing 9k s.f. on the 11th floor of the BofA building. And Rio Nuevo's special board meeting tomorrow is solely to approve the development proposal as outlined in the Tucson Sentinel article.

If everything gets approved, this deal is definitely a game-changer for downtown that will be felt for years to come.
Agreed on all counts. Gadsden and Nor-Gen have to be thrilled about this.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:15 AM

OMG! There's no turning back now. Big private company moving in downtown.
I wouldn't be surprise if more (private companies) would follow!
Now, we'll start seeing taller buildings downtown.
Our dreams will finally come through!!

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:03 AM

Good news all around and a huge boost for downtown. But don't get your hopes up for a new tower.

According to KVOA, the new building on the west side will be about 200K sf, 3 stories tall, with underground parking.

Still, it may trigger other new development downtown. And the ripple effect on retail, support services, housing, hotels, and maybe even flights and other corporate relocations, could be significant.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Good news all around and a huge boost for downtown. But don't get your hopes up for a new tower.

According to KVOA, the new building on the west side will be about 200K sf, 3 stories tall, with underground parking.

Still, it may trigger other new development downtown. And the ripple effect on retail, support services, housing, hotels, and maybe even flights and other corporate relocations, could be significant.
I agree that a taller building would be great, but 3 stories of a corporate headquarters is still better than an empty lot. Also agree that this should be a boon for downtown Tucson and the city as a whole. We're talking about 600 jobs paying around $90,000 each is the kind of jobs Tucson has been hoping to attract for a long time.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I agree that a taller building would be great, but 3 stories of a corporate headquarters is still better than an empty lot. Also agree that this should be a boon for downtown Tucson and the city as a whole. We're talking about 600 jobs paying around $90,000 each is the kind of jobs Tucson has been hoping to attract for a long time.
2-3 stories with a good urban design is better than a generic office tower any day.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post

I figured 3-6 stories for that area of downtown...I guess we'll know the details once the design is complete. Definitely the jobs and infill are more important than the height at this point.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:32 AM

More big relocation news... sort of. One of my favorite Tucson traditions, the outdoor movies at La Placita will be moving to the old county courthouse. That will be a beautiful setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I figured 3-6 stories for that area of downtown...I guess we'll know the details once the design is complete. Definitely the jobs and infill are more important than the height at this point.
They want to more in by 2020. From what I've read, it sound like fewer than 100 jobs will more here before they move into the new building. You may not see the full effect of this exiting news for a few more summers.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:47 AM

Further details - Caterpillar relocation

So it looks like that big excavated hole on W. Cushing St. won't go to waste after all, as it will be the site of Caterpillar's new Division HQ building. (And I'm guessing that Rio Nuevo will be using all of that free landfill from the county to cover the surrounding acreage to make a very nice park adjacent to it, since the landfill remediation costs were deemed too expensive to pursue.) Plus, Caterpillar will have a modern streetcar stop right outside its front door.

Chuck Huckleberry announced on today's Buckmaster show that the first 40-60 Caterpillar employees will be moving into the 11th floor of the BofA building starting next month, while the interior configuration of the building at 97 E. Congress is being redone to accommodate 300+ more employees coming to Tucson over the next few years.

Will be interesting to see what new proposals come forward as a result of this relocation--I'm sure we'll see more of those surface parking lots downtown start to disappear.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
So it looks like that big excavated hole on W. Cushing St. won't go to waste after all, as it will be the site of Caterpillar's new Division HQ building. (And I'm guessing that Rio Nuevo will be using all of that free landfill from the county to cover the surrounding acreage to make a very nice park adjacent to it, since the landfill remediation costs were deemed too expensive to pursue.) Plus, Caterpillar will have a modern streetcar stop right outside its front door.

Chuck Huckleberry announced on today's Buckmaster show that the first 40-60 Caterpillar employees will be moving into the 11th floor of the BofA building starting next month, while the interior configuration of the building at 97 E. Congress is being redone to accommodate 300+ more employees coming to Tucson over the next few years.

Will be interesting to see what new proposals come forward as a result of this relocation--I'm sure we'll see more of those surface parking lots downtown start to disappear.
Any way you, or anyone else, could post a picture of where exactly this is expected to be placed, so I have an idea?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:01 AM

AzDOT is trying to get federal grants to work on further widening of I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix.

ADOT Pursues Grants for Highways

Improving traffic flow and safety on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Tucson. Helping commerce move on a state route between the border and Interstate 19 in Nogales. Rehabilitating an 850-foot-long bridge along Interstate 15 in northwestern Arizona.

Aiming to move forward sooner on those goals, the Arizona Department of Transportation is seeking $109.5 million through two highly competitive federal grant programs.

With $800M available through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s FASTLANE grant program, established under the 2015 FAST Act, ADOT has applied for $60M and offered to provide $86.8M in matching funds to be used in four ways along I-10 between the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas:

Realigning and widening four miles in the Picacho area to three lanes in each direction while reconstructing the interchange with State Route 87.
Widening four miles between Earley Road and Interstate 8 to three lanes in each direction while upgrading ramps at Jimmie Kerr Boulevard near Casa Grande.
Making technology enhancements to improve traffic management and safety, including remote sensors to provide early warning of approaching dust.
Conducting preliminary engineering and completing an environmental analysis for widening 27 miles of I-10 to three lanes in each direction between the Loop 202 Santan Freeway and approximately SR 387 in Casa Grande. Any plan to widen I-10 through the Gila River Indian Community would require an agreement with the tribal government.
“The impact of Interstate 10 on Arizona’s citizens and economy is huge. Improvements to this vital link between Phoenix and Tucson are critical to our quality of life,” ADOT Director John Halikowski said. “Each element of the FASTLANE grant proposal will advance these efforts to continue improving I-10 and significantly benefit motorists and the flow of commerce.”

Meanwhile, ADOT has submitted Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant proposals for two projects:

$25M, with a proposed $39M state match, to improve the 3.75-mile State Route 189 (Mariposa Road) in Nogales. Proposed upgrades to the route, which connects the Mariposa Port of Entry with Interstate 19 and Interstate Business 19/Grand Avenue, include a raised median and improving ramps connecting with I-19.
$24.5M, with a proposed $10.5M state match, to rehabilitate Virgin River Bridge No. 1 on Interstate 15. Built in 1964 and located just east of Littlefield in the far northwestern corner of Arizona, the bridge has never undergone a major rehabilitation.
Both TIGER grant projects and the two I-10 construction projects in the FASTLANE grant are already part of ADOT’s plans, both through its current construction program and the Tentative Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program that’s receiving public input and awaiting a vote by the State Transportation Board.

For Virgin River Bridge No. 1, $33M in construction funding is programmed for fiscal 2019. For SR 189, ADOT has recommended $64M in fiscal 2021 for construction. For the I-10 projects, ADOT has recommended $85M in fiscal 2018 for the Picacho area and $40M in fiscal 2019 for Earley Road to I-8.

Winning grants would allow these projects to move forward faster and enable ADOT to redirect money toward other pressing needs.

“There are no guarantees when it comes to competitive grants, but success pays big dividends for Arizona,” Halikowski said.

Since 2012, ADOT has received a total of $43.6M through 15 competitive grants, most of them administered by U.S. DOT. Much of that amount comes from TIGER grants for a planned railroad overpass on State Route 347 in Maricopa and the ongoing reconstruction of Virgin River Bridge No. 6 on I-15.

There will be plenty of competition from other states for FASTLANE and TIGER grants. For fiscal 2015, when ADOT won a $15M grant toward the SR 347 project, U.S. DOT received 627 eligible applications worth $10.1B for the $500M available. About $500M is available in the current round of TIGER grants.

U.S. DOT is expected to announce awards from both grant programs later this year.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Any way you, or anyone else, could post a picture of where exactly this is expected to be placed, so I have an idea?
There's an aerial photo in the Star's recent article, but this one--shown in my Tucson project list--outlines it much more clearly (the 3.38 acres highlighted in blue):

(courtesy: city of Tucson)

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:39 PM

I hope caterpillar's regional hq is 6 floors out of respect to urbanism. This HQ would more likely blend in with downtown west's architecture (hint: not a typical cookie cutter office park).

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 2:11 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest