HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:26 PM

Ottawa-Gatineau Population now at 1.44 million

Population boom: Ottawa the second fastest growing city in Canada
Josh Pringle
CTVNewsOttawa.ca Reporter
Published Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:19AM EST

OTTAWA -- The City of Ottawa is enjoying a growth spurt.

Statistics Canada says Ottawa tied with London, Ont. for the second fastest growing census metropolitan areas in Canada during the 2018-19 period.

A new report shows Ottawa’s population grew by 2.3 per cent year over year. An estimated 1,095,134 people lived in the capital on July 1, 2019.

Gatineau’s population grew 1.5 per cent in the 2018-19 period, to an estimated 345,984 people.

Kitchener-Waterloo was the fastest growing census metropolitan area in Canada, with a 2.8 per cent population growth.

Statistics Canada says Ontario was home to the fastest-growing CMAs for the second consecutive year, “the arrival of many permanent and temporary immigrants played a key role in their growth.”

In Alberta, population growth increased by 2.1 per cent in Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge in 2018-19. No census metropolitan area in Canada saw a decrease in population over the course of the year.

The Statistics Canada report shows 26,952,447 people lived in census metropolitan areas on July 1, 2019, up 1.7 per cent from the previous year. It’s estimated 71 per cent of Canada’s population lives in metropolitan areas.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/population...r&_gsc=U0R6KfT

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:41 PM

They still have us around 6k behind Edmonton. I wonder if next census that gets updated once accurate counts of Alberta growth are in. I expect the NCR to be back in 5th place (TO-MTL-VAN-CGY) after the 2021 census.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:43 PM

Those numbers are way higher than the cities estimates. The City of Ottawa's June 2019 estimate was 1,000,000 while the Ville de Gatineau's 2018 estimate 284,373.

EDIT: Stats Can has it as the Ontario side vs Québec side, not Ottawa vs Gatineau. Those numbers include municipalities outside the Ottawa and Gatineau proper. The CTV reporter doesn't seem to realize that, making the article miss-leading.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Those numbers are way higher than the cities estimates. The City of Ottawa's June 2019 estimate was 1,000,000 while the Ville de Gatineau's 2018 estimate 284,373.

EDIT: Stats Can has it as the Ontario side vs Québec side, not Ottawa vs Gatineau. Those numbers include municipalities outside the Ottawa and Gatineau proper. The CTV reporter doesn't seem to realize that, making the article miss-leading.
The reporter is technically inaccurate by stating "city of ottawa" but the assesment of the metro population is a fairly accurate representation. You can view the map from the statscan data. For ontario its just city of ottawa + Kemptville, Embrun and Rockland. It does not even include Carleton Place nor Casselman.

So misleading if you are tracking "city of Ottawa" as a boundary but not a misleading article on the whole at all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
The reporter is technically inaccurate by stating "city of ottawa" but the assesment of the metro population is a fairly accurate representation. You can view the map from the statscan data. For ontario its just city of ottawa + Kemptville, Embrun and Rockland. It does not even include Carleton Place nor Casselman.

So misleading if you are tracking "city of Ottawa" as a boundary but not a misleading article on the whole at all.
The article is inaccurate by stating the populations represent Ottawa and Gatineau proper. Anyone who doesn't bother looking at the map and is not already aware of the CMA boundaries and past population will get the wrong impression.

As JHikka pointed on the Stats Canada Report thread (Canada Forum), Carelton Place and Arnprior will be added to the Ottawa-Gatineau CMA as of the 2021 census.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...019002-eng.htm

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
The article is inaccurate by stating the populations represent Ottawa and Gatineau proper. Anyone who doesn't bother looking at the map and is not already aware of the CMA boundaries and past population will get the wrong impression.

As JHikka pointed on the Stats Canada Report thread (Canada Forum), Carelton Place and Arnprior will be added to the Ottawa-Gatineau CMA as of the 2021 census.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...019002-eng.htm
this feels like a discussion about whether it is 2 o'clock or 2:02, but I get your drift.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
this feels like a discussion about whether it is 2 o'clock or 2:02, but I get your drift.
"An estimated 1,095,134 people lived in the capital on July 1, 2019."

"Gatineau’s population grew 1.5 per cent in the 2018-19 period, to an estimated 345,984 people."

That's not accurate. It's the Ontario side and Québec side of the CMA, not Ottawa and Gatineau proper.

It's like quoting the population of the Island of Montreal and claiming it as the population of the Ville de Montréal. Or quoting the GTA's population and claiming it as Toronto. It's inaccurate anyway you look at it. The reporter assumed it was the city populations or didn't care that it wasn't. He didn't get his facts straight. Din't bother checking what the CMA includes. It's not a big deal, but this is lazy reporting.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
"An estimated 1,095,134 people lived in the capital on July 1, 2019."

"Gatineau’s population grew 1.5 per cent in the 2018-19 period, to an estimated 345,984 people."

That's not accurate. It's the Ontario side and Québec side of the CMA, not Ottawa and Gatineau proper.

It's like quoting the population of the Island of Montreal and claiming it as the population of the Ville de Montréal. Or quoting the GTA's population and claiming it as Toronto. It's inaccurate anyway you look at it. The reporter assumed it was the city populations or didn't care that it wasn't. He didn't get his facts straight. Din't bother checking what the CMA includes. It's not a big deal, but this is lazy reporting.
Typical of CTV Ottawa. Their local news coverage is tabloid level at this point. Also, their daily online polls are laughable.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:28 PM

Those Statcan CMA boundaries are really confusing, like Oshawa is not part of Toronto CMA? Abbotsford is not part of Vancouver, yet Carleton Place will soon become part of Ottawa?

Also the CMA region of Montreal is geographically smaller than Ottawa's, or Edmonton for example

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Those Statcan CMA boundaries are really confusing, like Oshawa is not part of Toronto CMA? Abbotsford is not part of Vancouver, yet Carleton Place will soon become part of Ottawa?

Also the CMA region of Montreal is geographically smaller than Ottawa's, or Edmonton for example
It's all down to commuting patterns and how many of those residents rely on work in the central hub. Oshawa is separate enough to not be included in the Toronto CMA. Ottawa's CMA area would be larger than Montreal's because it's much more sprawly than Montreal and its city limits are gigantic.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 9:15 PM

Here are the actual Stats Can pops for the City of Ottawa (1,028,514) and Ville de Gatineau (287,868) proper, from the cities of over 80,000 table. So 66,620 on the Ontario side outside of Ottawa and 58,116 on the Québec side outside Gatineau for a total of 124,736 living outside of the the chief cities. Many more than I thought honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoggy View Post

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Looks like as of 2019 Ottawa Gatineau population is now approaching 1.6 million

in 2017, it was 1,476,008 people from https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...ott_gat_en.pdf

We also know that in the summer of 2019 Ottawa itself gained another 65,000 to break 1 million which gets us to 1,541,008

Since 2019 Gatineau has also had a spike in growth.

The original numbers of 1.8 million by 2040 appears to be shifting to the 2030 target.

The city should consider long-term planning for additional rail transportation in the urban core

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Desveaux View Post

in 2017, it was 1,476,008 people from https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...ott_gat_en.pdf

We also know that in the summer of 2019 Ottawa itself gained another 65,000 to break 1 million which gets us to 1,541,008

The original numbers of 1.8 million by 2040 appears to be shifting to the 2030 target.

The city should consider long-term planning for additional rail transportation in the urban core
I'm hoping Watson retires so that we can get a new Mayor in 2022. Someone with a fresh perspective, possibly more urban minded. I would love to see a major shift away from cars in favour of more transit and active transportation.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Desveaux View Post

Not really Ottawa-Gatineau city-proper, but more the Greater Ottawa-Gatineau region which includes neighbouring counties like Prescott-Russell, Leeds, Lanark and Renfrew. I'd estimate about 1.2M on Ontario side, around 400K on Quebec side.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping Watson retires so that we can get a new Mayor in 2022. Someone with a fresh perspective, possibly more urban minded. I would love to see a major shift away from cars in favour of more transit and active transportation.
Even if a candidate runs in 2022 who campaigns on a transit/active transportation platform (and Watson doesn't run), I can see them losing to someone who runs in the other direction. I feel like Ottawans are generally car dependent and prefer the status quo.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Even if a candidate runs in 2022 who campaigns on a transit/active transportation platform (and Watson doesn't run), I can see them losing to someone who runs in the other direction. I feel like Ottawans are generally car dependent and prefer the status quo.
That's a pretty likely scenario. If Watson decides not to pursue re-election, I imagine he will hand pick his "successor" to run on what would basically have been his platform. On top of that, lower income populations in Vanier and other dense areas who would benefit from an urban minded Mayor often don't vote in large numbers, giving car-centric suburbanites the win.

That of course, is a topic for another thread.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I agree! BUT I think Ottawans are sick of the LRT fiasco and until we know what the plans are for the feds and real estate downtown it will be hard to convince folks to spend more taxes on transit.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I agree! BUT I think Ottawans are sick of the LRT fiasco and until we know what the plans are for the feds and real estate downtown it will be hard to convince folks to spend more taxes on transit.
What LRT fiasco? The system had some issues at the start which have been almost entirely worked out. It's strange how people expect a transit system to be 100% perfect. Find me one system in N.America (new or old) which doesn't go down from time to time or have zero issues. Ottawa's system is not without faults, but it is actually a pretty fantastic transit system.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 12:27 PM

GeoNerd you have incorrectly interpreted my comment as my opinion - which it is not.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
GeoNerd you have incorrectly interpreted my comment as my opinion - which it is not.
No, just a general question. All these people that are still complaining about the LRT seem to be people that don't even use the LRT. What are these issues they still have?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy