HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

AAA can be anywhere from $7-10k
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
All sports are dying. Hooray for video games.
I have 3 boys, ages 4-9 and if it weren't for me setting limitations for screen time they'll play in it morning, day and night.

Remember the 80's? Wake up, watch cartoons and then you're out of the house all day playing with neighbourhood kids. I personally had to be pulled into the house at the end of the day!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
AAA can be anywhere from $7-10k
But again, top flight anything is expensive. Dance, soccer, tennis, you name it. Travel, coaches/training, equipment, etc.

Are there any sports where the top rungs of competition for teenagers happens to be cheap? Maybe just certain high school sports like basketball and football? But even then if you're good enough to be on the provincial/national teams I'm sure it gets extremely expensive.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:53 PM

omg stop with all the privilege talk! /sarcasm

My broke, single-mother-parented ass played high school football. I think registration (when they remembered to ask for it) was $90-100 a season and cleats could be found for $50-70... I think I went through 2 pairs in that time...

My little pale skinned, double income, hydro-brat, half-brother played hockey. It's what you do north of the 53rd no matter what.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:13 PM

I remember reading something that said last year enrolment in hockey in Canada was down somewhere around 15,000 kids. So maybe there’s been a little bit of a bump up from last year because of the pandemic but it’s been on a steady decline for the last 20 years. People skating on the ODR because of boredom does not equate to physical enrolment in the actual game. Costs are a prohibiting factor, as each of you have listed off above. Yet tell me it’s not so much, it’s only $750 dollars for registration lol. Skates, sticks, pads, jerseys, and a helmet add up, hotels, travel costs, ice times, it all adds up... As everyone of you has mentioned above. Growing up we had three different ODR’s in the area. none of them exist anymore and birds hill park is too lazy to put a skating area on the damn lake.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But again, top flight anything is expensive. Dance, soccer, tennis, you name it. Travel, coaches/training, equipment, etc.

Are there any sports where the top rungs of competition for teenagers happens to be cheap? Maybe just certain high school sports like basketball and football? But even then if you're good enough to be on the provincial/national teams I'm sure it gets extremely expensive.
This is why I hope he plays high school hockey next year. Paying $7k+ to play hockey with a 0.00025% chance of making the NHL is crazy. My son knows that he is playing for the fun of playing now. A lot of these AAA parents (not kids) still think their kid has what it takes and will spend anything to get there. He just wants to play with his friends (A1-AA level). Only 3 more years till beer league - then the fun starts.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:15 PM

If your kid isn't playing in the W by the time they're in high school, very small chance of making it (0.00025%). Only chance would be to go to American university hockey. And then again, very small chance of being drafted.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
A lot of these AAA parents (not kids) still think their kid has what it takes and will spend anything to get there.
Friends in the teaching profession (high school) have related some pretty horrible stories to me about young hockey players and their parents. Entitlement, boorish attitudes, disrespect for teachers and their classes, all based around the slim hope their kid makes the NHL. Whenever I hear about pro hockey players complaining about the city (too cold, too dirty, etc.) I think about these types of players and am genuinely not surprised at the prima donna behavior some pro athletes demonstrate.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 7:24 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I don't know how hockey is any fun at that level. They all have attitudes, and the parents for the most part are the cause. We have told our son that even if he had the ability to play AAA we don't think we would go that route.

Of course his desire might alter that but he wouldn't be with friends anymore (save one or two kids) and it becomes a chew you up and spit you out kind of thing where winning is everything. It might sound like sour grapes because he didn't make it but I'd like to think we could stick to our guns.

Hockey is supposed to be fun.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 7:42 PM

^ Even if you don't make it to the NHL or even the AHL, you have to admit the thought of playing in the Dub would be a pretty cool experience that makes it worth slogging through the AAA ranks.

Although then again, you think about all of the interminable bus trips, being away from home and living in someone's basement at an impressionable time in your life plus all of the crazy psycho hazing rituals, and that might take some of the shine off of it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 7:43 PM

And speaking of covid, the case count is in double digits for the first time since October. TP rates are still high but it's still a relief to see at least some kind of somewhat positive news.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 5:20 AM

Manitoba is last among provinces in percentage of available doses administered at 35%.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

I guess this is what happens when you have a provincial government that makes massive cuts to healthcare and doesn't take appropriate action during the pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Manitoba is last among provinces in percentage of available doses administered at 35%.

I guess this is what happens when you have a provincial government that makes massive cuts to healthcare and doesn't take appropriate action during the pandemic.
Makes me laugh when their vaccine task force says that we could have the whole province vaccinated by end of April "if only the Feds gave us enough doses".

Yet we're 2nd last (Nova scotia at 28%) in administered doses, excluding the territories. Even farther behind provinces with similar governing philosophies like Alberta and Sask.

I feel like they could complain we weren't getting enough doses if we had administered 85+% but really they are just trying to take any jab they can at the feds like toddlers.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:10 PM
surely you agree with me

....and the federal government is at the mercy of the drug companies. They are doing their best to secure vaccine as soon as they can, competing against 200 other countries. It annoys me that conservative premiers want to politicize this. Just get your house in order and be ready for when they do come. Everyone wants the same outcome.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:

With the Feds announcing less doses then expected temporarily, in hind sight, holding back on administering will likely ensure there are enough second doses for everyone who has already received a first dose. Hopefully other jurisdictions don't find themselves having to re vaccinate because second doses could not be administered in the time required.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:

Or maybe it has nothing to do with healthcare cuts and its a simple matter of the logistics and strategy of the government? This comparison of vaccination rates at a point in time is as ludicrous as was comparison in cases at a point in time. Two months ago people on this board were berating the province governments response to wave two, someone commending Doug Ford. Would we rather be Ontario now? This criticism of the government by looking at stats for single period in time super early into vaccination period is nonsensical.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:22 PM

Holiday season is looking to have has a minimum affect in Winnipeg. Cases up North are crazy high given the small population, conversely given the small population it could probably get under control relatively more quickly.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:58 PM

If a proportion of cases become hospital admissions and a proportion of those ICU patients. I'm curious to see how higher case numbers in the north affect hospital admissions due to the higher risk populations. Even with lower total case numbers, will the higher risk populations cause the admitted patients to remain stubbornly higher then they otherwise would.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
....and the federal government is at the mercy of the drug companies. They are doing their best to secure vaccine as soon as they can, competing against 200 other countries. It annoys me that conservative premiers want to politicize this. Just get your house in order and be ready for when they do come. Everyone wants the same outcome.
A little bit of truth but any opposition party will criticize what a sitting govt. does all the time!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
If a proportion of cases become hospital admissions and a proportion of those ICU patients. I'm curious to see how higher case numbers in the north affect hospital admissions due to the higher risk populations. Even with lower total case numbers, will the higher risk populations cause the admitted patients to remain stubbornly higher then they otherwise would.
The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs publishes data for the indigenous population daily.

The latest bulletin shares that First Nations cases make up 70% of active cases and 64% of all new cases in Manitoba. First Nations have also been consistently around 50% of all the ICU admission since October.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan