HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:27 AM

My god. If this is an improvement it must be really bad now. I have no opinion either way because I am not familiar with the intersection as it is now.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:41 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
roundabouts are almost always improvements because they do not stop traffic flow. They allow for freeform movement.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:08 AM

As an aside to the 51st St/I-35 intersection talk, the first place I lived when I moved to Austin was Hyde Park (Ave. H), and I was somewhat familiar with the 51st St/I-35 area. But that was way before Hyde Park was fashionable as it was somewhat of a run down area. I was happy to move out of the area to where all of the new apartments were going up at the time around Runberg and N. Lamar. How times have changed.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:44 AM

The only problem with roundabouts in Austin is that about half the drivers are completely clueless about how to use one. There is so much confusion and hesitation going on with some drivers. This thing at 51st and IH35 would be a very, very busy roundabout. There will be a sharp learning curve for some drivers and lots of accidents probably. Once the public gets the hang of it, it should be pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I hate traffic circles.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:29 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
51st St at I-35 looks like it could get confusing.

Mobility 35: http://mobility35openhouse.com/default.aspx
So...

what happens when traffic backs up at the light on the other side of I35 and clogs up half the round-about?

Seems like during rush-hour this thing will be one confusing circular parking lot.

Looks like they are going to re-open the turn-around loop, which should help a bit.. because the East side of 35 is a weird confluence of frontage road and streets that gets super confusing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 1:08 AM
World Traveler

I've traveled pretty extensively in Asia for work and currently live and work in a city over here with many, many traffic circles. It's so chaotic that it quickly becomes entertaining from a decent vantage point - you never know what you'll see (granted, where I am there are bicycles, sheep herders, tractors, taxis, buses, and luxury cars all in the same mix). That said, in the midst of chaos is functionality and there are almost never accidents or traffic jams.

I think the difference is that American drivers are used to being able to zone out and simply follow "normal" traffic patterns. Anything that requires more attention to get through an intersection - even if it creates an environment that doesn't stop and actually works well once people adapt - is opposed. I can understand that, but I still disagree. I'd venture so far to say that two traffic circles might be best for this area - one in the above design and one at the stoplight across the freeway. I understand if you disagree, but it just might work. There are simply too many intersections in a small area to use American traffic designs - a traffic circle (or a combination of two) can alleviate the congestion.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:49 AM

I 100% support this roundabout. Generally if it's properly marked and signed, like this one will hopefully be--I mean I know I've seen the renders and signage plans and schematics but honestly I figured they'd stripe the Aldrich Street roundabout and they didn't until some unspecified date in the future.

I've seen motorway roundabout interchanges work really well, and provided people signal their damn turns, it's generally a huge relief. The right-turn bypass will also help and so will the (hopefully) reopened turnaround.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:48 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Here's my problem. I know how to use a traffic circle. I didn't grow up using one. I didn't live abroad where they are prevalent. I didn't even read up on them. I observed a couple times and used common sense and the traffic laws I already knew.

Thing is, the majority of people on the road have no earthly idea what "yield" even means, let alone how to do so correctly. They can't even yield correctly in the current environment. How many times have you been trying to go straight at a light and have to brake so you don't hit the idiot coming the other way turning left in front of you? How many times have you seen mass confusion at a 4-way stop?

I know it'll take time. I just don't trust my fellow man on the road. Everyone sucks at driving. They're either assholes, oblivious, or just downright bad drivers.

Being a good defensive driver is tiring.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:52 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think the difference is that American drivers are used to being able to zone out and simply follow "normal" traffic patterns. Anything that requires more attention to get through an intersection - even if it creates an environment that doesn't stop and actually works well once people adapt - is opposed.
This is a very good description of why jarring the attention of drivers, via traffic circles and other measures, is a good idea. One of the most disconcerting articles I ever read discussed a foreign city (I don't recall where) that has no stop signs or traffic lights in any of its intersections. The accident rate is substantially lower than average for similar cities. The reasoning goes that drivers are forced to pay attention and exercise caution. This is why traffic circles are safer, more nerve-wracking, and less popular than traditional intersections.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:53 AM
World Traveler

lzppjb, I agree that the drivers must change regardless of traffic patterns/structures. You're absolutely right. Every time I get back to Texas, I have to constantly say to myself "you're in America now" as I'm driving. People are either clueless or very selfish drivers. That said, I've been in several foreign cities where the lack of traffic design, signals, etc., leads to even more frustration for someone from the States who is used to more order, for better or worse.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:13 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Love the video! Is there a reason why it only lasts 1:41?
Is it possible that at 1:42 a fender bender happen?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:35 PM

No accidents in almost 2 minutes...I wonder if that's a record for them? Either they are good drivers or totally insane. According to the World Health Organization, India and China have the highest traffic related fatalities in the world at over 230,000 and 270,000 respectively, yearly, compared to less than 40K per year in the US.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
So...

what happens when traffic backs up at the light on the other side of I35 and clogs up half the round-about?

Seems like during rush-hour this thing will be one confusing circular parking lot.

Looks like they are going to re-open the turn-around loop, which should help a bit.. because the East side of 35 is a weird confluence of frontage road and streets that gets super confusing.
We will still be forced to drive down Barbara Jordan to get to 51st from the north bound side.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
We will still be forced to drive down Barbara Jordan to get to 51st from the north bound side.
I think that work is underway now. They are adding a northbound exit to take you under 51st and then intersect with Cameron. PDF here. That link is from here

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:38 PM

CapMetro is hosting a bike stakeholder workshop:

http://capmetroblog.com/2015/02/12/geartalk/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
CapMetro is hosting a bike stakeholder workshop:

http://capmetroblog.com/2015/02/12/geartalk/

I should go to that since my bike got vandalized inside one of their Bike Shelters. They beefed it up some but I'm not convinced to use them again.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I should go to that since my bike got vandalized inside one of their Bike Shelters. They beefed it up some but I'm not convinced to use them again.
as in someone damaged it for fun? or was it an aborted theft attempt?

i thought those things had keycard access and 24 hr cameras. was capmetro helpful at all in responding?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
as in someone damaged it for fun? or was it an aborted theft attempt?

i thought those things had keycard access and 24 hr cameras. was capmetro helpful at all in responding?
They cut the simple wire mesh, got in and vandalized all the bikes and stole one. The camera outside at the station did not show the shelter in view or a good view of it. I think its changed now to be safer at least at Plaza Saltio where my indecent happened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin