HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:13 AM

^--- Thanks a ton for that, this is great. Will the Feds start allocating money based on SPM? This quantifies what I was talking about above (20k in MS vs 20k in CA).

SPM seems substantially more useful and relevant than what we use officially now.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 23, 2019 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:35 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I'm not talking about absolute numbers. There is the poverty rate and then starting in 2011 there is the Supplemental Poverty Rate that takes into account of things like cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing [and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income]. Using the census' SPM rate, California ranks as the state with the highest poverty rate [as of 2017].

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p60-265.pdf
After looking up SPM rates Im left confused not by CA but by other states. California(and NY and NJ) is understandable because the median home price and rental rates are very high.

What's Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina and Texas' excuse for being so high?

SPM Poverty Rate(Official Poverty Rate)
19.0% CA(13.4%)
18.1% FL(14.3%)
15.6% GA(15.6%)
15.5% AZ(15.5%)
15.5% NY(9.7%)
15.1% NJ(13.2%)
14.7% TX(14.0%)
14.3% NC(14.4%)
12.9%US(14.1%)

Florida is right behind CA. How can that be?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Last edited by dimondpark; Mar 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
That is the point of my OP. People get paid more in California, yet California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. I don't find stats like these interesting that show nominal amounts, when we all know the astronomical cost of living in those same places. Looks great on paper, but doesn't come close to telling the story.

You can go back and forth with Crawford [it's not worth it] that tends to move goal posts and shift the discussion to make him appear correct when he's not.
Crawford was correct. California does not have the highest poverty rate in the nation. California may have high inequality, but that is not a measure of poverty. If it was then the U.S. would be one of the most impoverished nations on Earth. Poverty is a well defined term, and you are misusing it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
After looking up SPM rates Im left confused not by CA but by other states. California(and NY and NJ) is understandable because the median home price and rental rates are very high.

What's Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina and Texas' excuse for being so high?

19.0% CA(13.4%)
18.1% FL(14.3%)
15.6% GA(15.6%)
15.5% AZ(15.5%)
15.5% NY(9.7%)
15.1% NJ(13.2%)
14.7% TX(14.0%)
14.3% NC(14.4%)
12.9%US(14.1%)

At least for Arizona a big portion is our native american population which is virtually 100% unemployed and 100% impoverished. Its really bad. without that Id guess wed be closer to the US average.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 10:29 PM

Does Arizona have more poverty than New Mexico which is even more Hispanic and Native American?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Does Arizona have more poverty than New Mexico which is even more Hispanic and Native American?
No, New Mexico has a very high poverty rate. In terms of raw number of people in poverty Arizona probably has more but we have more than double NM population.

Its not Hispanics that are the driver its Reservations, and the states cant do much of anything about reservations and the policies therein because they are semi-sovereign and under federal Jurisdiction.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

According to the SPM Arizona edges out New Mexico.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post

19.0% CA(13.4%)
18.1% FL(14.3%)
15.6% GA(15.6%)
15.5% AZ(15.5%)
15.5% NY(9.7%)
15.1% NJ(13.2%)
14.7% TX(14.0%)
14.3% NC(14.4%)
12.9%US(14.1%)

The highest concentrations of poverty in Texas, which skew the statewide average downward, are primarily located along the Rio Grande (El Paso metro, Del Rio micro, Eagle Pass micro, Laredo metro, Rio Grande City micro, McAllen-Edinburg metro, and Brownsville-Harlingen metro).

Sure, there are other poor areas (cotton farming areas on the South Plains around Lubbock and also Deep East Texas in general), but you have to keep in mind that the Texas-Mexico portion of the border is 1,200 miles long.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 9:44 AM

Such figures seem not entirely reliable, knowing how much it costs for accommodation, taxes and other expenses in some cities. Now the whole country is in decline due to the outbreak of the covid 19 pandemic. I don't know about others, but many have lost their jobs and stable earnings in my environment. Now I have lost my job and can hardly pay my bills, but I will continue to live with dignity thanks to online payments. It's good that now you can earn even with only a phone and access to the Internet. Now my family earns money by playing games on android. It is still challenging with finances, but at least this way, you can wait out this crisis with a couple of thousand dollars in your pocket

Last edited by Maricaorg; Jul 31, 2021 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricaorg View Post
Such figures seem not entirely reliable, knowing how much it costs for accommodation, taxes and other expenses in some cities.
It also depends on types of jobs, salaries of employers, and even general demographics of the population, including educational levels (which may attract specific employers). So an expensive place may not necessarily have the highest poverty. I am not that surprised that FL would rank high in poverty - friends who moved the FL from places like IL said that the pay is not too high for the same job they had - plus FL's employment base seems less corporate heavy and more leisure/service oriented.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions