HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I’m not too sure about there really being “best” party cities. All substantially sized cities in the “free” world have plenty of places to party. Clubs, bars, live music clubs, etc.
By "best", I assumed the OP was referring to the largest critical mass of "high quality talent" (in whichever direction one swings), and the most/quickest access to it while also enjoying a solid music experience supplemented by alcohol or whatever vice you're into.

So to that end, the "best" party scenes are far more likely to be in places like Vegas, Miami, LA, NYC and New Orleans than in places like Kansas City, Columbus, El Paso or Baltimore.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:34 AM

I'm not a partier, but I went to Zurich once and thought it was pretty crazy.

Definitely a cool place.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I'm not a partier, but I went to Zurich once and thought it was pretty crazy.

Definitely a cool place.
You are easily amused.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i didn't really start traveling internationally until i had stopped really going out late. in the u.s., my "oh man the sun is coming up" classics are new orleans and chicago...
Mine too. Very fond memories of both cities.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 7:29 AM

Munich in Oktoberfest is wild and crazy. If you like semi seedy old working class beach resorts with lots of classic pinball arcades and dance/music halls, Blackpool in England is kind of fun and very 1950ish. You half expect to see Archie Leech come out to entertain you. Not quite as depressing as Atlantic City. But a lot of the Jersey shore is OK for family vacations and old fashioned arcade style attractions. Don't miss Lucy the elephant in Margate. Myrtle Beach is OK, esp. if you love miniature golf. Las Vegas has something for everyone and every kind of budget. The buffet deals aren't quite what they once were, but still pretty good. Saw a big Samoan a couple of tables away pack away about 10 plates of food once. Probably two chickens, 6 steaks etc. Buffet tip--skip the salads and bread, go for the expensive cuts of meat (if available). They want you to load up on the cheap stuff.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
How were Las Vegas and New Orleans not included in your original list? In the U.S., only Miami is remotely comparable as it relates to the thread's subject, IMO. Thousands of people travel to those two cities monthly specifically to party, and for no other reasons.
Never been to Vegas or New Orleans so I cant count them among my favourites...

New Orleans is on the list for next year hopefully. No desire to go to Vegas because while I like to party when I travel, it's still secondary to having a walkable, urban city to explore during the day.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:29 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
How were Las Vegas and New Orleans not included in your original list? In the U.S., only Miami is remotely comparable as it relates to the thread's subject, IMO. Thousands of people travel to those two cities monthly specifically to party, and for no other reasons.

The thread title specifically states "your favourite" places to party. What the most popular party destinations are for Middle Americans is entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:38 PM

New Orleans and Vegas are absolutely party destinations. Just because they are also highly visited by fanny pack wearing tourists doesn't negate their "party credentials." I've had a blast in both places.

Nobody has mentioned Nashville yet? Broadway may be a little hokey for some, but it's a great time nonetheless. Do people still think that you have to like country music to enjoy Nashville or that it's all you hear in Nashville? Or have those stereotypes been dispelled by now?

Abroad, Tel Aviv is great for late night partying/clubbing. Definitely celebrated my best New Years Eve there. Up the road, I've heard good things about Beirut.

And Singapore is supposed to be pretty gnarly. (Joke)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:40 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'm now firmly in the craft beer day drinking then small bar / restaurant / cocktails and in bed by midnight crowd now (though I do go out a fair amount). Even when I was younger and stayed up super late drinking never really did much of the "party" thing. A few after hours shows and illegal outdoor venues post 4am but that wasn't too often, maybe once or twice a month. I did go to a lot of indie / punk / hardcore, then bleeding into Toronto noise electronic scene shows when I was younger but they usually end fairly early and afterwards was a cheap bar or someone's apartment.

With this in mind I'd say my favourite city I've been for partying has been New Orleans. It has the perfect mix of laid back and hedonistic that I can appreciate. And you can head to a 24 hour craft beer bar the next morning to make sure you can survive the day.

Chicago is up there too but my nights there aren't all that different from what I do at home, just a nice change of scenery.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:59 PM
你的媽媽

No one has been to Asia here?

Singapore and Seoul are at the top.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:41 PM
All man. Half nuts.

like many of you, I'm not a party hound. too old for that kind of thing.

however, back in my college days (3 decades ago), you couldn't do much better than Madison, WI, if you wanted to experience some serious partying -- both on-campus and off.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:57 PM

In the USA, New Orleans. (duh!)
Europe, Budapest.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:06 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Nobody has mentioned Nashville yet? Broadway may be a little hokey for some, but it's a great time nonetheless. Do people still think that you have to like country music to enjoy Nashville or that it's all you hear in Nashville? Or have those stereotypes been dispelled by now?
re: nashville...broadway is a midwestern bachelorette shitshow to me, so i tread with caution. i don't do much partying in nashville. however, i do partake in non-downtown nashville dive bar activity, my father in law lives in the region. it's always interesting who is either in there (any number of spots) or bar tending...the last dive i was in was being tended by a grand daughter or niece (can't remember) of a mid-late century county music legend and i got a wonderful ear-full of stories.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post

I'm at the airport waiting to fly to Seoul and then off to Hong Kong in 5 days followed by Hanoi and a couple of the party islands in Thailand. I'll report back after that.

Nashville (specifically Broadway) was fun for 2 nights or so. Good place when your single because you just have to find the couple members of the bachelorette party who arent married.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
New Orleans and Vegas are absolutely party destinations. Just because they are also highly visited by fanny pack wearing tourists doesn't negate their "party credentials.
Exactly.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:

I've been to Seoul but I didn't have time to do the party scene. But I can imagine that the parties get crazy. Even though I didn't have much time, it is so far my favorite city in Asia.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:37 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I've had a great time in London, Lisboa, Barcelona, NY, and Los Angeles and Aspen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The best party scenes aren’t really in big cities. It’s not my scene really but I was in Mykonos last summer, and that’s kind of the new Ibiza. There’s Ibiza itself. Yacht week in Croatia. In winter there are ski towns in the Alps that are pretty renowned party scenes (Farm Club in Verbier, etc). And of course there’s the Hamptons and its equivalents near other major cities (Punta del Este for the Rio Plata metros, for example), though nothing is quite like the Hamptons.

These places are smaller but attract the scene during their respective seasons, and are inherently more exclusive.
I would agree, but it is the city discussions forum.

Nowadays the islands are the big destination party spots. Phi phi, kho pha ngan, ko tao, Bali, and the gili islands all have a very good party reputation. My only gripe is that it's basically all Aussies, Brits, Canadians, Americans, and the odd Scandinavian or Central European tossed in. Basically feels like partying at home just transplanted onto a beach halfway across the world. The best is when you have a local connection in the city and can get the true experience.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:13 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
New Orleans and Vegas are absolutely party destinations. Just because they are also highly visited by fanny pack wearing tourists doesn't negate their "party credentials."

Okay? Their "party credentials" still don't mean they have to be on anyone's list of favourites.

Quote:

Seoul looks pretty crazy, but Singapore? I mean, I haven't been, but aside from the food, it seems that it would be much too sterile, controlled, and sober to have any of the spontaneity, creativity, eclecticism, rule-bending, hedonistic drugginess to be a particularly fun or vibrant after-dark city.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 PM
Baltimore

For the Gays

From my experience:
- Berlin
- Montreal (maybe the largest gay village in the world)
- Melbourne
- San Fran
- Cape Town
- New Orleans
- Wilton Manners and Fort Lauderdale
- Ibiza
- Mykonos
- Chelsea/Hells Kitchen NYC
- Boys Town Chicago
- Buenos Aires
- West Hollywood and LA
- Mexico City
- Puerto Vallarta
- Walnut St. Philadelphia

Small and/or conservative from my experience:
- Boston
- Miami City
- Baltimore
- Detroit
- Charlotte
- Memphis
- San Antonio
- Montevideo
- Helsinki

Cities that I was expecting more based on their reputation:
- Rio
- Sydney
- Austin
- London

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions