HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:16 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i didn't really start traveling internationally until i had stopped really going out late. in the u.s., my "oh man the sun is coming up" classics are new orleans and chicago...

never really partied in london or anything, just pubs.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was never into the club scene either and seldom went out because 9 out of 10, they were douche-y sausage fests.
Yeah, you gotta be the rich guy in the double vip area tossing bottle service at the sloots to make it fun.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:23 PM
E pluribus unum

I got drunk once with a group of San Franciscan forumers back in 2006. One minute we're in the Castro, the next thing I know it's 2am and I'm on a bus crossing the Bay Bridge back to where I was staying in Berkeley.

So...San Francisco?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 PM
Ascension

Tucson, AZ is a fun party town as it’s full of students from the University of Arizona. When I lived there from 2008-10, all there was to do was party. Always music at Club Congress or The Rialto. Ibt’s is a great gay club. I befriended a few of the djs there and it was always jumping. Not to mention the numerous house parties. Parties lasting until 5:30 am.I met a lot of great people just drinking a beer. I miss Tucson.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 PM
Future God

Quote:
I was never into the club scene either and seldom went out because 9 out of 10, they were douche-y sausage fests.
Some are, some aren't... just depends on what type of club really. I can't stand those Top 40 clubs where everyone is just there to pound vodka red bulls and hook up, or the scenester 'trying to hard to be posh' clubs either. Some clubs though are truly all about creating a memorable experience through the atmosphere and music, and those types of places I'm all about, even though I don't go out to clubs nearly as much as I used to.

Anyway, some of the obvious choices have been mentioned already... New Orleans, NYC, Mexico City, London etc... also gotta say Chicago too... so many concerts and festivals and night spots of all types, many of which are open til 5AM...

...a couple lesser known places that I've had an absolute blast though:

* Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago... for Carnivale... it's just an absolute city wide celebration that doesn't stop... and the locals are warm, diverse, and eager to include you in their fun.

* Bristol, UK... not really a city most people get to, but on my one visit to the UK I had to make it there. As a massive fan of British Drum N Bass/Trip Hop Bristol is pretty much Mecca being home to groups like Portishead and Massive Attack. Even though the trip hop era has kind of seen it's hayday come and go, you can still find world class clubs there, and the city as a whole just has a really cool gritty, edgy, artsy vibe to it.

* Zadar, Croatia... about an hour north of Split and not always on the tourist map... gorgeous Roman era coastal city with a beautiful collection of really phenomenal outdoor clubs... you can also grab a bottle and take it outside the city walls by the water and find people partying and listening to music at just about all hours of the night... beautiful super friendly people too.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:43 PM

I find nowadays clubbing mean less and less massive, 1000+ people warehouse style clubs and more intimate hybrid bar/clubs.

In Toronto, the Entertainment district used to be dominated by massive multi-story clubs and was an absolute shitshow (or so I've heard from the guys who were partying in the late 90's. Now we really only have one true "club" similar to what you would find in Vegas.

From this:

from:https://www.clubcrawlers.com/toronto.../glow-at-rebel

To This:

from:https://www.blogto.com/music/2017/03...al-nightclubs/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:44 PM

Are we talking club scene or real parties? For the latter I'd go with Santa Barbara and Tempe - based on personal experience the craziest house parties you'll ever see, but no club scene to speak of. LA also has top notch parties but the best ones are all private and exclusive. As for the club scene I never got the appeal of paying a cover to have a bunch of nasty skanks grind on me, where I can barely hear myself think, in a room full of strangers... That's not a party as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:59 PM

São Paulo.

I remember in my early 20s we would start the night at 12AM and end it at 9AM the following morning. The clubs would often serve breakfast to us before we left.

Also, some streets are famous for being open-air clubs. Rua Augusta has hundreds of small bars that pour out into the streets. These places would often still be serving beer at 9AM as I would stumble my way back to the metro to get home.

Not to mention Carnaval, which is now not just restricted to the time around lent. Nowadays, Carnaval type street parties happen quite frequently throughout the year, especially the warmer months.

I miss my youth!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 PM

The best party scenes aren’t really in big cities. It’s not my scene really but I was in Mykonos last summer, and that’s kind of the new Ibiza. There’s Ibiza itself. Yacht week in Croatia. In winter there are ski towns in the Alps that are pretty renowned party scenes (Farm Club in Verbier, etc). And of course there’s the Hamptons and its equivalents near other major cities (Punta del Este for the Rio Plata metros, for example), though nothing is quite like the Hamptons.

These places are smaller but attract the scene during their respective seasons, and are inherently more exclusive.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled View Post
Yeah, you gotta be the rich guy in the double vip area tossing bottle service at the sloots to make it fun.
Bottle service is the worst. Such a scam. Just go to a strip club if you're that desperate lol.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:20 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'm probably the worst person for this since I don't drink and I hate parties. But I like comedy and jazz so I guess NYC and Chicago for me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe you'd have been happier going in another direction:

Video Link

Studio One - Hollywood
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:36 AM
The City

I’m not too sure about there really being “best” party cities. All substantially sized cities in the “free” world have plenty of places to party. Clubs, bars, live music clubs, etc.

I did go to clubs a lot in my twenties but I sort of regret it. If I could have that time back I would have gone to more live shows, musical performances, and traveled more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:19 AM

I have never really "partied" much in my life. So my experience is short, to say the least. In America, my best experience, without a doubt, has been in New Orleans and Key West. New Orleans is obvious and Key West had a very laid back relaxed party feel where you just felt comfortable as crap being drunk out in public.

Internationally, I think Athens was pretty good. However, I was in London awhile and really enjoyed the bar scene there.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:36 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Bangkok. For the equivalent of $2, you can immolate an 8 year old leper and snort lines of his ashes. Good times, son.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:42 AM

i partied in japan, jk my friend did. the closest thing was i went to seattle and theres lots of asian places and i felt out of place at the bar. it wasnt a party but just hanging out with asian friends.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:45 AM

My partying days are behind me now but back in the day, Amsterdam and Las Vegas were great!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:03 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

shanghai was probably the most fun i’ve had partying abroad, i loved it because the people and interactions were so wacky and random. if i were going to pick a region specifically to party, it would be east/southeast asia. otherwise, like i previously said, i’m not really into staying up 24 hours anymore...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:13 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
shanghai was probably the most fun i’ve had partying abroad, i loved it because the people and interactions were so wacky and random. if i were going to pick a region specifically to party, it would be east/southeast asia. otherwise, like i previously said, i’m not really into staying up 24 hours anymore...
Good pick... I was only in Shanghai for a couple days so my experience is limited, but I do remember coming out of one of the bars at about 2AM to find a man selling baby sharks on the street out of a tank. It wasn't a part of a late night fish market or anything like that... just a random dude with a bunch of sharks. So yeah, I would agree with the wacky and random aspect.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I was going to ask something like "What are the best party cities in the world?" but it's such a subjective question based on the entertainment or nightlife that you prefer. If you like electronic music and a totally unique club scene, Berlin is hard to beat. Latin music and late-night dancing? Buenos Aires is probably your scene.

This forum tends to skew older so maybe the hard partying days are over for most, but I'm interested to hear some perspectives on where people used to go vs. where they find themselves leaning nowadays.

I'm about to leave for Southeast Asia for a month which is what triggered this question. I may have some new favourites when I get back but so far my #1 is Budapest hands down. You've got the ruin bars, bath Parties, boat parties, and a great hostel scene. The city is cheap and attracts a lot of backpackers. Spent 5 days there and barely scratched the surface of the nightlife.

The rest of the list, in loose order:

Barcelona
Berlin
New York
Montreal
Dublin
Miami
How were Las Vegas and New Orleans not included in your original list? In the U.S., only Miami is remotely comparable as it relates to the thread's subject, IMO. Thousands of people travel to those two cities monthly specifically to party, and for no other reasons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions