HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:52 PM

760 Ralph McGill/New City/Georgia Power Project

I think this project deserves it's own thread, considering land has been purchased, and community meetings have been held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:02 AM

Absolutely! Its at or near the very top of the list among the most exciting projects in the city IMO and these days that's really saying something.

The details...
  • $750 million development
  • Two 12-story office buildings
  • 700 residential units
  • 200,000 square feet of retail space
  • 50 to 75 room boutique hotel

Other tidbits
  • Different architects will design each phase
  • New City is pursuing architecture that is "unique and innovative"
  • New City hopes to break ground on the first phase no later than March 2019

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Absolutely! Its at or near the very top of the list among the most exciting projects in the city IMO and these days that's really saying something.

The details...
  • $750 million development
  • Two 12-story office buildings
  • 700 residential units
  • 50 to 75 room boutique hotel

Other tidbits
  • Different architects will design each phase
  • New City is pursuing architecture that is "unique and innovative"
  • New City hopes to break ground on the first phase no later than March 2019
smArTaLlone - New City bought an additional 4 acres and increased the size of the development.

https://apps.dca.ga.gov/DRI/InitialForm.aspx?driid=2801
  • 1,100 residential units
  • 1,100,000 SF office
  • 75 room boutique hotel

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Any updates on the GA Power site? I thought they needed to vacate the property by EOY, but there hasnt been any equipment moved yet.
For the love of God let's retire the Amazon H2Q thread. Thanks

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:00 PM

Speaking of this, if they still hope to start on the first phase early next year, we should see some renderings popping up soon.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Speaking of this, if they still hope to start on the first phase early next year, we should see some renderings popping up soon.
I keep looking for anything related to this. I wonder if 725 Ponce phase II will go under construction at the same time as this project. Both at once would be completely transformative of the area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:36 PM

An article in the ABC has a bit of news on this project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
New City also owns a 10-acre site along the Beltline and next to Ponce City Market. The property occupies a prime site at 760 Ralph McGill.

New City is planning about 1 million square feet of new office space on the property. The developer is preparing to file plans with the city of Atlanta for the first phase.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
An article in the ABC has a bit of news on this project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
cannot wait! This moving forward will be huge for the area.

Also will be curious about the potential retail and 180,000 sq. ft expansion 725 could move forward with.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 12:24 AM

New City Eyeing Second Phase Of 725 Ponce

Woa!

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...25-ponce-98612

Quote:
New City is readying plans for a 180K SF office-centric mixed-use building that could rise on a 1.5-acre site next door to its 725 Ponce project.

“We started conceptual designs to sort of have something to put in front of tenants,” New City President Jim Irwin told Bisnow. Irwin said there was no set date to break ground at this point on the second phase.

Reports indicate New City is in talks with Starbucks, BlackRock and other tenants to take space, which would substantially fill the office component.

It also plans to break ground on a $750M mixed-use project just a mile south of 725 Ponce. Irwin said New City is aiming to break ground on that project by the fall, potentially going forward without any tenants signed to a lease.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Fingers crossed! Hoping the retail will include culturally diverse, local options. Also hoping we get a well designed tiered building. Not a fan of block massing in the city, especially along the BeltLine.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Apr 24, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:04 PM

New City’s GA Power parking lot is void of all trucks and equipment. Office building equipment removed, too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:15 AM

It's happening! Can't wait to see what they have planned.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:37 PM

Renderings from the ABC by way of Cbender

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbenderat...02787754848258

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Renderings from the ABC by way of Cbender

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbenderat...02787754848258
I don't feel as great about these renderings. It makes everything feel more blocky like a Portman development. The previous renderings felt more free-flowing and inviting. Like I'm not walking into a fortress.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:23 PM

Iconic' project may soon rise along Beltline's Eastside Trail

Here's the article.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...beltlines.html
Quote:
A $750 million mixed-use project, the largest yet proposed along the Atlanta Beltline, may soon begin to rise along Historic Fourth Ward Park.

Atlanta developer New City LLC has submitted plans to build the first phase, including 600,000 square feet of office space, a 140-key hotel, 350 apartments and 50,000 square feet of retail along the Beltline’s Eastside Trail.

It will be funded by equity partner Lamb Properties and could break ground as soon as this fall.

It will feature office buildings designed by renowned Seattle architect Olson Kundig, whose projects include the headquarters of luxury clothier Shinsegae International in Seoul, Korea.

New York firm Morris Adjmi Architects will design the hotel and apartment building, which will include maisonettes that open onto the Eastside Trail.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxoncreed View Post
I don't feel as great about these renderings. It makes everything feel more blocky like a Portman development. The previous renderings felt more free-flowing and inviting. Like I'm not walking into a fortress.
Agreed, this is dramatically different from the all glass aztec type building they had planned before. Also missing is the suspended bike bridge and I do not see the spanish stairs either.

I must say that I am disappointed in these compared to the previous renderings, I really expected more from Irwin.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Agreed, this is dramatically different from the all glass aztec type building they had planned before. Also missing is the suspended bike bridge and I do not see the spanish stairs either.

I must say that I am disappointed in these compared to the previous renderings, I really expected more from Irwin.
I’d wait for more renderings to judge. Noting there is a switchback and elevated trail to the beltline as seen in the rendering:

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:17 PM

The massing is too big. Not a big fan of the office portion of it. I like the two buildings closer to the park. The office is boring, too bulky, fortress-like, corporate, sterile. The development needs to be more human scale or they need to use more natural material for the office building like red brick or even limestone.

The office being against the Beltline is the worst part of it. Last thing people on the Beltline want to see is huge bulky corporate office buildings...you can go to downtown/Midtown for that. You got a human scale, cool brewery across the Beltline, then this hulking sterile glass structure on the other side....just doesn't make sense.

In the original renderings, they split the two office buildings up to give less of a bulky mass. To me, the whole thing has gone downhill.

There was another developer who has proposed a multi-building project for this site and I thought it was a lot better and more human scaled and used better materials. Can't find it now.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The massing is too big.
Haha, I knew we would get all kinds of pissing and groaning from the armchair architects. I own a place across the street from this site and I'm thrilled by the new plans. I really love the hotel and residential building. The glass office building will block the view from New Realm, but I would rather have density than something that would protect the views. Overall, I'm pleased with the new plans and glad this is what resulted from some VE from the original concept plan.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Haha, I knew we would get all kinds of pissing and groaning from the armchair architects. I own a place across the street from this site and I'm thrilled by the new plans. I really love the hotel and residential building. The glass office building will block the view from New Realm, but I would rather have density than something that would protect the views. Overall, I'm pleased with the new plans and glad this is what resulted from some VE from the original concept plan.
You can get density without having massive sterile corporate office buildings fronting the Beltline. As you said, the hotel and residential buildings are fine.

And it doesn't take an architect to critique a development so don't insult me. Too many of you on the Atlanta forum want to insult people because they criticize a development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta