HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It is getting one AFAIK, unless the current government changes its mind.

I can't comment on 17 between Sudbury and the Sault - it is one of the few northern highways I've not really driven much.
No wonder I find your comments about TCH between SSM and Sudbury questionable.

How many times have you gone on it though? And at what time of the day?

I went twice going east, once between 11 pm and 2 am on a weekday (and turned off at City Road 55 at Lively), and once between 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm on a Saturday (and turned off at Coniston to get gas).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
No wonder I find your comments about TCH between SSM and Sudbury questionable.

How many times have you gone on it though? And at what time of the day?

I went twice going east, once between 11 pm and 2 am on a weekday (and turned off at City Road 55 at Lively), and once between 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm on a Saturday (and turned off at Coniston to get gas).
Half a dozen, maybe? Daylight hours, usually.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:27 PM

I should re-read comments before posting.

Driving a highway on two separate occasions doesn't seem like that many times to be able to offer an expert opinion though.

Last edited by sonysnob; Feb 5, 2019 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:40 PM
Closed account

/Rantmodeon

I've lived in Northern Ontario for a majority of my life. I've lived in some of the small towns and larger cities of the region. I'd like to think I have a holistic view of the Northeastern part of it and know enough people in the Northwest that I have some sense of the issues that its people face.

If we were gifted $25-30 billion dollars of infrastructure money (what a freeway would cost), I sure wouldn't waste it on some fucking unused freeway between Nipigon and Hearst or Nipigon and the Sault.

I'd spend it on long-term care facilities for our aging population, so they didn't have to occupy acute-care hospital beds.
I'd spend it on our isolated reserves that don't have clean water or all-weather roads.
I'd spend it on improving our existing highways.
I'd spend it on improving educational opportunities for our most isolated and marginalized residents.
I'd spend it on improving bus service between isolated communities (not everyone drives!)
I'd spend it on areas of the province's (and country's) highways that do have serious safety problems.

Certain areas of the north might justify a freeway. However, for the bulk of the region, a divided freeway is terribly low on the priority list. In the magical world of infinite money, sure, let's pave the roads in gold. In the pragmatic world I live, not so much.

Just one man's questionable opinion.

/rantmodeoff

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

/Rantmodeon
When you said you drove down that road at least 6 times, I knew I goofed, but that all seemed too late; sonysnob has a point, and so do you.*
You do have a holistic point of view of the north, and I trust that swimmer_spe, vid, F. Lionel, TBayON and Loco101 do too. All 6 of you together give a comprehensive picture of NWO and of NEO.*
It's been nice talking to all of you northerners for the past year, but now it seems that it's coming to an end.

If Northern Ontario ever gets $12B for infrastructure, I'd spend $3B twinning the bottlenecks and high-traffic stretches, and make the trucking association pay for the rest through tolls, as they so desire a cross-Canada freeway.
I would spend $2B on Ring-of-Fire to connect the far north to the rest of northern ontario at Geraldton so a freeway between Nipigon and Hearst will be slightly more meaningful.
I would spend $3B on long-term care facilities too since baby boomers are the reason for the mounting health care expense;
I would spend $2B each on education and on job opportunities so the north doesn't lose people to elsewhere.

Just an even more questionable opinion of a Vancouverite that spent quite some time in GTA

Perhaps I should only mind the business in Southern Ontario.
Perhaps I shouldn't even be in the Ontario subforum at all.

But my circumstances simply won't allow me to fare well in any subforum.

/Rantmodeoff

* no sarcasm

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 5, 2019 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
/Rantmodeon
When you said you drove down that road at least 6 times, I knew I goofed, but that all seemed too late.
sonysnob has a point, and so do you.*
You do have a holistic point of view of the north, and I trust that swimmer_spe, vid, and Loco101 do too.*
It's been nice talking to all of you northerners for the past year, but now it seems that we have to be not nice to one another.

If Northern Ontario ever gets $10B for infrastructure, I'd spend $3.5B twinning the bottlenecks and high-traffic stretches, and make the trucking association pay for the rest through tolls, as they so desire a cross-Canada freeway.
I would spend $2.5B on long-term care facilities too since baby boomers are the reason for the mounting health care expense;
I would spend $2B each on education and on job opportunities so the north doesn't lose people to elsewhere.

Just an even more questionable opinion of a Vancouverite that spent quite some time in GTA

Perhaps I should only mind the business in Southern Ontario.
Perhaps I shouldn't even be in the Ontario subforum at all.

/Rantmodeoff

* no sarcasm
I think we've had this discussion before and we've always been the opposing ends of it.

The 'questionable' comment did get to me, I'll admit.

If you want to talk about northern highways, I'll gladly give my $.02 - we were having a fine discussion about rock cuts prior to this. I think I have more of a problem with blind agenda-pushing, especially by non-residents.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I think we've had this discussion before and we've always been the opposing ends of it.
Yea it was my bad that I didn't know the names well at that time. If anything, probably only Loco101 and swimmer_spe are with me on this one and, even then, we have different ideas about how it should be done. For example, swimmer_spe will be opposed to elevated structures and tolls whereas I think the segments most utilized by trucks should be twinned and tolled because it's not exactly provincial responsibility anymore (but a federal one).

Quote:
The 'questionable' comment did get to me, I'll admit.
I'll admit that I rub people the wrong way without even knowing it. In fact, now that I think of it, I came off extremely mean-spirited back there, so I apologize.

Quote:
I think I have more of a problem with blind agenda-pushing, especially by non-residents.
This will always be my problem (not that I'll leave it unresolved).
If you notice, I've actually abstained from talking about TCH for a good two weeks, until Ottawaresident revived the thread (not that I'm blaming him).

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:19 PM
BANNED

I like to poke my nose into everything as well, as a Torontonian who moved to Ottawa. Don't take my opinion as fact. Unless it's in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
I like to poke my nose into everything as well, as a Torontonian who moved to Ottawa. Don't take my opinion as fact. Unless it's in Ottawa.
No wonder you've been on Highway 69.

I for my life couldn't figure out why/how someone who lives in Ottawa would end up on that road without taking an extremely circuitous route.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:08 AM
BANNED

I have driven SSM west a few times. I have driven north of Timmins a few times. I have driven 69 and the other routes lots.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:11 PM
BANNED

The first god news from the province in a long time.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/t...laning-1230525

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is this simply politican posturing, or does ONPC intend to actually finish twinning 69 (except with either further delays or cheapening out, such as at-grade intersections through the FN's)?

Sonysnob posted the latest news (as of Feb 11) in the Ontario Highways thread.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is this simply politican posturing, or does ONPC intend to actually finish twinning 69 (except with either further delays or cheapening out, such as at-grade intersections through the FN's)?

Sonysnob posted the latest news (as of Feb 11) in the Ontario Highways thread.
Yes to all.

But seriously, I never believe it till I am using it. Proof of that - Eglinton Subway.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:07 PM
BANNED

In Ottawa, proof is the 417 Extensions and the Confederation Line, though that should open like this year. If you don't know about it, search it up!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
In Ottawa, proof is the 417 Extensions and the Confederation Line, though that should open like this year. If you don't know about it, search it up!
I know, but the PCs were just elected and those were to far along for them to stop.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I know, but the PCs were just elected and those were to far along for them to stop.
Confederation Line, yes.

417 to Renfrew, if anything PC wanna carry it through or else Yakabuski's gone in 2022.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Confederation Line, yes.

417 to Renfrew, if anything PC wanna carry it through or else Yakabuski's gone in 2022.
That assumes that the PCs are not gone. Look what we did to Wynne.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If PC stays, 400 will be finished, 417 extended to Renfrew, and 17 twinned around Kenora.
If Liberals return, 400 will still be finished, and 17 twinned between Pass Lake and Red Rock.
In the unlikely event that NDP rises to power, 17 will be twinned between Denlou and Markstay, and something done to 11 in Timiskaming.
If NDP holds the balance of power in a minority, 17 will be twinned between D and M, and 400 completed.

Am I just being overly optimistic?

PS: If somehow Greens get in, HSR...?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If PC stays, 400 will be finished, 417 extended to Renfrew, and 17 twinned around Kenora.
If Liberals return, 400 will probablt still be finished, and 17 twinned between Pass Lake and Red Rock.
In the unlikely event that NDP rises to power or holds the balance in a minority, 17 will be twinned between Denlou and Markstay, and 400 finished.

Am I just being overly optimistic?

PS: If somehow Greens get in, HSR...?
Yes, you are. Remember, Ford wants a balanced budget at any cost.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Okay. In that case, scrap the first one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario