HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 11:22 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
To clarify, a return to Edmonton, not a return to Commonwealth.
Garth Brooks?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Are they alive?
Keith Richards is still alive afaik

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:42 AM

You can tell the age of people on this forum when they mention a bunch of old fart bands instead of something more current.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:42 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
You can tell the age of people on this forum when they mention a bunch of old fart bands instead of something more current.
We’re living in a golden age of music. 25 years ago, if it wasn’t being played on mainstream radio or Much....you would never hear it. It’s totally different now.

The drawback is that bands with huge appeal that span generations or styles don’t occur anymore. Everybody can explore their own unique tastes. So if your looking at bands to fill huge stadiums...it’s not going to be current.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:18 PM
Community Guy

'We’re living in a golden age of music.'

That is the funniest thing I have heard since the real golden age of music.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:55 PM

Shofear; it was just an observation, I am an old fart myself.

I'm going to the "I love the 90s tour" in May, should be a blast!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 10:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
We’re living in a golden age of music. 25 years ago, if it wasn’t being played on mainstream radio or Much....you would never hear it. It’s totally different now.

The drawback is that bands with huge appeal that span generations or styles don’t occur anymore. Everybody can explore their own unique tastes. So if your looking at bands to fill huge stadiums...it’s not going to be current.
It’s amazing how accessible music is now. I’ve been collecting music for 30 years, back in the 90’s you’d spend hours pawing through boxes of LP’s in the hope of finding something. Nowadays I use YouTube, no necessarily to collect music but to find it. Everthing is on YouTube. Then if I want a hard copy I can get it pretty easily online as well. I like a lot of classic rock, 90’s techno and old R&B, nowadays there are thousands of internet radio channels. Just for those genres alone. Back when I was a kid we had one AM radio station in town, and if you hooked the cable up to the antenna on your receiver you could get a few decent stations like CFOX out of Vancouver, and that was it.

I feel like music is doing okay right now. There’s some fairly decent artists out there at the moment

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:32 AM

Anyone know more about the above announcement? Intrigued...

Also saw Boodang announced their Bomfest dates on Canada day weekend at Northlands... interested to see the lineup!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
It’s amazing how accessible music is now. I’ve been collecting music for 30 years, back in the 90’s you’d spend hours pawing through boxes of LP’s in the hope of finding something. Nowadays I use YouTube, no necessarily to collect music but to find it. Everthing is on YouTube. Then if I want a hard copy I can get it pretty easily online as well. I like a lot of classic rock, 90’s techno and old R&B, nowadays there are thousands of internet radio channels. Just for those genres alone. Back when I was a kid we had one AM radio station in town, and if you hooked the cable up to the antenna on your receiver you could get a few decent stations like CFOX out of Vancouver, and that was it.

I feel like music is doing okay right now. There’s some fairly decent artists out there at the moment
I agree accessibility to all forms of Music is at its peak now. Funny that I have never been to a big stadium show for a single artist. have been to quite a number of festivals. And I was lucky enough to have access to so much live music when I lived in TO that small venues were my preferred choice to experience new artist. That being said My wife did get tickets for Elton John and I may go to this one. Lived in TO when CFNY was at its best. I don't thing I listen to any local station other than CBC. most of the time its streaming.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I agree accessibility to all forms of Music is at its peak now. Funny that I have never been to a big stadium show for a single artist. have been to quite a number of festivals. And I was lucky enough to have access to so much live music when I lived in TO that small venues were my preferred choice to experience new artist. That being said My wife did get tickets for Elton John and I may go to this one. Lived in TO when CFNY was at its best. I don't thing I listen to any local station other than CBC. most of the time its streaming.
The only downside I've seen to the way the internet has changed music accessibility is that experiencing whole albums has become less likely. It was always great when you came across a hidden gem on an album that was never a radio success but was truly outstanding, because it moved you in some way due to the music, lyrics, or both. Likewise there were some albums that were always composed by the artist as a single story, meant to be played/experienced in normal song order.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:26 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I think one of the best shows I've ever been to was Metric at the Starlite Room, way back when. It was hot, smoky, packed full and Emily Haines blew the doors off the place.

I'm generally not a huge fan of arena or stadium shows. But we did get tix for Elton John as well and I am definitely looking forward to that one

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
The only downside I've seen to the way the internet has changed music accessibility is that experiencing whole albums has become less likely. It was always great when you came across a hidden gem on an album that was never a radio success but was truly outstanding, because it moved you in some way due to the music, lyrics, or both. Likewise there were some albums that were always composed by the artist as a single story, meant to be played/experienced in normal song order.
Your right, few true Full Album tracks now. At least for streaming. I now download for High Res and most are full albums.

However last full albums I have listens to were Whale Music and also Mellville By the Reostatics.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I think one of the best shows I've ever been to was Metric at the Starlite Room, way back when. It was hot, smoky, packed full and Emily Haines blew the doors off the place.

I'm generally not a huge fan of arena or stadium shows. But we did get tix for Elton John as well and I am definitely looking forward to that one
Small venues in Edmonton, Probably most shows I saw at the Old Side Track. then Serena Rider and the new side track.

And Maybe the first version of SFNU at Kreig back in about 1980.

in TO there were a ton of good shows but the Barenaked Ladies at the Bathurst Street Theater. and Chis Isaac and the Rivoli

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Your right, few true Full Album tracks now. At least for streaming. I now download for High Res and most are full albums.

However last full albums I have listens to were Whale Music and also Mellville By the Reostatics.
My go-to's are Pink Floyd's The Wall, Yes's Fragile, Crosby Stills Nash and Young's Deja Vu, and George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice. Regardless whether intentional or not, they flow really well from song to song and melt away the stress of the days. And no, there isn't a need for 'medicinal' help in enjoying them.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
My go-to's are Pink Floyd's The Wall, Yes's Fragile, Crosby Stills Nash and Young's Deja Vu, and George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice. Regardless whether intentional or not, they flow really well from song to song and melt away the stress of the days. And no, there isn't a need for 'medicinal' help in enjoying them.
Another one, Oscar Pederson Trio , Canadiana Suite. My favorite Jazz Album.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:47 AM
Community Guy

The Station was on tonight.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1108257739203964928
@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
Anyone know more about the above announcement? Intrigued...

Also saw Boodang announced their Bomfest dates on Canada day weekend at Northlands... interested to see the lineup!
The only one that interests me is Green Velvet. Hrm. Half of the headliners seem to be brostep. I'm fine.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The only one that interests me is Green Velvet. Hrm. Half of the headliners seem to be brostep. I'm fine.
Where did you see a lineup? I just saw the dates released...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 10:44 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
Where did you see a lineup? I just saw the dates released...
I just googled it.

http://boodang.com/event-detail.php?id=328

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Ok yeah I saw that one, that's 2018.... (unless I'm missing it again lol)

they did Bomfest labor day long weekend last year, this year will be Canada Day long weekend

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton