HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:58 PM

Edmonton Entertainment, Festivals, Nightlife, etc

I think it's high time we had a separate thread specific to entertainment, may it be festivals, nightlife or what have you.

Going to a Halloween house party tonight, but in the event that it lames out we'll hit up a club so that costuming efforts don't go to waste. However I haven't really been hitting the nightlife in a while, so I don't know where's a good place to go. On the Rocks used to put on a good Halloween bash, is this still true? How about Central Social Hall? Or anything similar to that?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It's been years for me too going to wet clubs. The last year or two, I've been going to a couple clubs : Sugar Swing Club (100th street, 80th avenue) and occasionally Fiddler's Roost (74th Street, 76th Avenue.) More often Sugar Swing lately because I have more fun dancing than jumping in on the drums. Also, it is more hopping.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:11 PM

edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/downtown-construction-the-grinch-that-stole-edmontons-annual-christmas-lights-display

"Executive director Ian O’Donnell said the association looked at other locations to host the event, but none were practical."

What's wrong with the new Federal Building Plaza? We need more things happening in this awesome new space we got. Canada Day festivities were a huge success IMO, is that literally all the fun we're ever going to see in this plaza?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:33 PM
Community Guy

^We had two meetings with the Province to consider moving it there, but they do their own Light Up and plaza activation. It was going to be a duplicative event and stealing some of their thunder.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:42 PM

How about the new park on 105 St?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^We had two meetings with the Province to consider moving it there, but they do their own Light Up and plaza activation. It was going to be a duplicative event and stealing some of their thunder.
If that's the case, as in the Province has something going on as well, then i'm ok with the City's display shelved for couple years; saves some tax payer dough!

I should add, the Province's display better be spectacular. If not, then would be stupid not to consolidate and make it even more grand.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:12 PM

City Hall skating rink (that never seems to open until February anyway?).

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but I have a sneaking suspicion the DBA didn't try very hard to find an alternate location.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:32 PM

^ poor excuse by the province - they should have teamed up and cooperated with the city on a nice display on the government grounds.

Other than that how about the convention center/Louis McKinney park and the funicular?Light that up and show off the river valley - we certainly do not use it enough.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:36 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
How about the new park on 105 St?
WAY too small.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:36 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
If that's the case, as in the Province has something going on as well, then i'm ok with the City's display shelved for couple years; saves some tax payer dough!

I should add, the Province's display better be spectacular. If not, then would be stupid not to consolidate and make it even more grand.
This was a DBA event, not City.

Theirs always is

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:37 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
City Hall skating rink (that never seems to open until February anyway?).

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but I have a sneaking suspicion the DBA didn't try very hard to find an alternate location.
We will be doing enhanced decorating around the rink and hope to have it usable in Dec. Keep in mind that our tree stand cannot be placed on the plaza, let alone the rink.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I spend about a month or two trying to do just that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:38 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ poor excuse by the province - they should have teamed up and cooperated with the city on a nice display on the government grounds.

Other than that how about the convention center/Louis McKinney park and the funicular?Light that up and show off the river valley - we certainly do not use it enough.
Not at all. They do their event, we do ours...which will be a variety of different events this year.

Not enough power and washrooms. Too far removed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Theirs always is
Other than the light up of all the large trees on the Legislature grounds (which is definitely beautiful) do they really do much else? I just want to see the new fed plaza activated more.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:28 PM
Community Guy

^they do choirs, warm bevs and decorate the square. Keep in mind that it is intended to be a skating rink....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:11 PM

Will the ICE District plaza be big enough for the Tree Light Up once it opens? Assuming that OEG doesn't go off and do their own thing?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:43 PM
Community Guy

We will be staying in Churchill, our public square.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:25 PM

How about that pine tree on the corner of Beaver Hills?

Deck that tree out in a thousand lights.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:49 PM
Community Guy

Just last week we finally got it lit again.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:07 PM

One item that keeps popping up in my Facebook feed is a Day of the Dead tour coming to Edmonton on March 2.
https://www.facebook.com/events/120522068665194/

No venue, no indication of who is running it, and months after the real celebration. FB posters are pissed off about what appears to be cultural misappropriation. Anyone heard of this?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:27 AM

Needle Vinyl Tavern sees bookings cancel as it reviews sexual harassment allegations
https://globalnews.ca/news/3871585/n...t-allegations/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton