HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

View Poll Results: Which route should be twinned? Quelle route doit-on élargir?
11 8 20.51%
17 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I don’t know how often people just lump Deep River and Chalk River together (because they’re so close to each other) and collectively call them 2 rivers. If they do it often, that’s where (I think) confusion will arise.
You mean like Saint John and St John's?

As far as these, I always forget which is first, but have never lumped them together.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yep yep. It doesn't help that there's also Fort St John's in B.C..

Ah okay.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yep yep. It doesn't help that there's also Fort St John's in B.C..

Ah okay.
People keep thinking I am from Thunder Bay. I keep having to tell them "No, the other bay."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 9:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
People keep thinking I am from Thunder Bay. I keep having to tell them "No, the other bay."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 10:32 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
We have the same problem. A lot of people in Toronto have this impression that we're "right there", which we are if we fly, but not so much at ground level.

At work we get maybe two or three orders from the GTA a month, thinking that we're located closer to Toronto. I figure at this point there are so many area codes in the GTA that 807 doesn't raise red flags about our proximity to them anymore.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 2:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I don’t know how often people just lump Deep River and Chalk River together (because they’re so close to each other) and collectively call them 2 rivers. If they do it often, that’s where (I think) confusion will arise.
I don't know the area well enough to know if this is common, but I can see people in Pembroke or Petawawa saying they're going "up to the two rivers", meaning Deep and Chalk, and not Deux-Rivières which is much smaller and further up the road, and much less likely to be a regular destination for people in Pembroke-Petawawa.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

@Acajack: Oops I saw your comment just now. Yea past Deep River, there really isn’t anything until Matawa. Most likely, people going past Deep River but not heading to Matawa and points west just wanna cross the bridge at Rolphton to hunt in Quebec.

======
On another note, I was looking at Kenora Bypass at Longbow Lake (so the east end). The routing between there and a few km east of 71 looks circuitous, and the terrain doesn’t seem too awful for the bypass to have started much further east. Was the current alignment selected to “acommodate” Longbow Lake?

Ps: I may have asked this before.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:57 PM

Now that the temps are warming up work has resumed on the electrical line relocation between Superior Shores and the Dorion Loop Rd. Heavy equipment is also being pulled out of the lots where it was left all winter after they pulled down more houses last fall around Pearl.

Hopefully this is a positive step and construction is weeks away from commencing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is this project taking from the $83M from the Feds? We discussed the funding issue before but didn’t seem to have an answer. The $1.3B from ONPC is strictly for rehabilitation, anyway.

At the very least, it’s good to free up the space for the other 2 lanes.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Is this project taking from the $83M from the Feds? We discussed the funding issue before but didn’t seem to have an answer. The $1.3B from ONPC is strictly for rehabilitation, anyway.

At the very least, it’s good to free up the space for the other 2 lanes.
This has always been my question... I don't ever remember seeing a funding announcement for the stretch between Superior Shores and Dorion Loop. I've seem the drawings, I've spoken to workers on the sites, I've even spoken to people in the Dorion Township office. All of these people say construction is imminent and it's a done deal. But I don't ever remember seeing anything official about it.

The 83M from the feds is for other stretches (Pass Lake to Pearl and Hurkett to Red Rock 9). There is activity along those stretches so I have hope that those are a go this year - it just isn't daily activity like it is along the Dorion stretch.

Like you said, however, even if it isn't a go it's good to get those spaces clear for the other lanes, whenever it actually happens.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now I’m starting to see why you conjectured the previous provincial liberal government might have some sort of secret funding. If the secret funding is a thing, Gravelle has really done a good job.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Random News

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Now I’m starting to see why you conjectured the previous provincial liberal government might have some sort of secret funding. If the secret funding is a thing, Gravelle has really done a good job.
I have always liked Gravelle and wish more politicians were like him. He was very good at actually listening to people and representing not just Thunder Bay - Superior North but also all of Northern Ontario. There's nobody like that in the current PC government. I can see why Gravelle held on to his electoral district.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
I know a couple of police officers who have stopped vehicles for the same reason and the stories they tell me just make me shake my head. People still think that they can get away with driving so fast and they still make up the lamest reasons for doing so. Birthday party lol.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I know a couple of police officers who have stopped vehicles for the same reason and the stories they tell me just make me shake my head. People still think that they can get away with driving so fast and they still make up the lamest reasons for doing so. Birthday party lol.
The drivers should be the ones who push the start button on the crusher. Maybe seeing your car crushed eventually will sink in that the roads are not a racetrack.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
And Lake Superior Shore too, out of all places. (Then again, 144’s pretty bad too.)
Quote:
The drivers should be the ones who push the start button on the crusher. Maybe seeing your car crushed eventually will sink in that the roads are not a racetrack.
Not even a 30-day suspension (up from the current 7-day one) would do eh?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And Lake Superior Shore too, out of all places. (Then again, 144’s pretty bad too.)

The problem we have is that the tickets are no longer high enough cost to make them a deterrent. Most cars can easily do over 150 km/hr with no modifications.

If you do not have self control, push the button.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 11:46 PM

Honestly, 140 in a 90 doesn’t seem that crazy to me. Maybe if it was sustained for a long period of time then it’s a problem, but it doesn’t seem like excessive enough behaviour that someone should lose their car for a month. That’s my opinion at least.

Plus who wouldn’t be in a rush to get back to southern Ontario?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:

I just got home right now after driving Hwy 144 from Sudbury. I normally drive at 99 km/h but some of those curves made me slow down. With no shoulders there isn't really any margin of error when a vehicle coming the other way is over the line.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Honestly, 140 in a 90 doesn’t seem that crazy to me. Maybe if it was sustained for a long period of time then it’s a problem, but it doesn’t seem like excessive enough behaviour that someone should lose their car for a month. That’s my opinion at least.

Plus who wouldn’t be in a rush to get back to southern Ontario?
Anything over 120 is simply unacceptable on that highway. I'm all for what happened to those drivers. Our highways are not racetracks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario