HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 6:51 PM
DRINK

Kudo's to you for continuing to lead by example.

It is extremely unfortunate that the city doesn't show leadership on extremely basic services to it's citizens on issues like cleanliness. Get rid of the silly pet projects and progressive expensive social engineering and step up your game on providing the most fundamental services that the residents expect.

Its been extremely difficult to take the kid to the local neighborhood playground these lest few weeks because they didn't clear the snow once all winter on the trails leading to the playground. try pushing a stroller through 8" of slush. But hey, we got to focus on plowing bike lanes after every snowfall when it was -30 for a god damn month.

Shit, even the 300 or so feet of mono walk fronting my local neighbourhood park (Reilly Park) around the corner from our house wasn't plowed once all year. Guarantee you that there are more people walking down that stretch of sidewalk than many of the bike lands around the city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 9:06 PM
I smash you

^
Exactly. In its effort to modernize/catch-up/become hip, the City spread itself too thin and doesn't put enough effort or resources into basic municipal services.

- Plow the snow
- Sweep the streets
- Pick up the garbage and provide proper receptacles
- Run a functional waste management system
- Maintain landscaping
- Maintain/repair basic infrastructure
- Fill the pot holes
- Provide proper signage

The City should be able to do this with their eyes shut. They should have it down to an art form. Do that and then we can build gondolas all over the goddamn city.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 10:29 PM
Community Guy

I heard a rumour of this being used... what an amazing location for SingularityU

https://twitter.com/SingularityUCan/...03251971133440

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:44 AM
Community Guy

...just a glimpse/taste of the potential this place has...

https://twitter.com/SwiftChaser/stat...63332406140928
@SwiftChaser

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:57 AM
Community Guy

Damn

One of the coolest locations for a party anywhere in Canada tonight... our former steam plant.

https://twitter.com/chase_jeff/statu...59360052142080
@chase_jeff

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:18 PM
A Better Place

Hopefully this event and more inspire people to get moving on developing this asset!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:40 PM
Community Guy

...already has.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:36 PM
Community Guy

Breaking into the top 100 tech hubs... Edmonton!

https://betakit.com/canadas-tech-hub...-show-promise/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Breaking into the top 100 tech hubs... Edmonton!

https://betakit.com/canadas-tech-hub...-show-promise/
Impressive, and an interesting quote about Edmonton:

"The University of Alberta is ranked third globally for AI and machine learning research, according to the global computer science rankings."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:10 AM
Community Guy

You can thank DeepMind (among others) for that.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
You can thank DeepMind (among others) for that.
For the ranking, maybe, but don't forget the reason the high profile DeepMind came to Edmonton is our high end researchers in the field of Artificial Intelligence. Don't give away the credit to externals so easily.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:34 PM
Community Guy

Oh absolutely, we have some very good bones here, but DeepMind gave us a much needed boost from a marketing/recognition standpoint.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Oh absolutely, we have some very good bones here, but DeepMind gave us a much needed boost from a marketing/recognition standpoint.
i think that's a swing and miss Coldlrsx but it is one of the best examples of one of the two biggest things wrong with edmonton:

1. this sub-conscious need for exterior validation and grasping at anything we can that gives us some semblance of that drives me crazy (okay, maybe i've already been crazy for a long time but that's beside the point). marketing/recognition third party brand decisions isn't worth the paper it's printed on or the energy it takes to display it on a screen. there are dozens of things happening here that can/should be confidently and successfully marketed that don't need outside validation in order to be real. we need to stop being blinded by the sizzle and focus on the substance behind it.

2. this sub-conscious need to come up with a "made in edmonton solution" for everything and trying to make sure it's an absolutely perfect solution before implementing it even though we consistently fail in executing on both ends of that.

Last edited by kcantor; Apr 30, 2019 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 8:43 PM
Community Guy

I don't disagree with you Ken, but when your 'star' player comes to town... they get the limelight and it would have happened in 95% of cities.

Not an Edmonton thing.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
i think that's a swing and miss Coldlrsx but it is one of the best examples of one of the two biggest things wrong with edmonton:

1. this sub-conscious need for exterior validation and grasping at anything we can that gives us some semblance of that drives me crazy (okay, maybe i've already been crazy for a long time but that's beside the point). marketing/recognition third party brand decisions isn't worth the paper it's printed on or the energy it takes to display it on a screen. there are dozens of things happening here that can/should be confidently and successfully marketed that don't need outside validation in order to be real. we need to stop being blinded by the sizzle and focus on the substance behind it.

2. this sub-conscious need to come up with a "made in edmonton solution" for everything and trying to make sure it's an absolutely perfect solution before implementing it even though we consistently fail in executing on both ends of that.
Best Cliff Claven Boston Accent voice: "Funny you should mention that Normy, the University of Alberta insisted on integrating a subconscious need for external validation into every AI they develop, to give it that Edmonton flair."

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you Ken, but when your 'star' player comes to town... they get the limelight and it would have happened in 95% of cities.

Not an Edmonton thing.
how we treat edmonton businesses vs businesses from elsewhere is very much an edmonton thing and that's not a complimentary comment.

yes, 95% of other cities would have shone some light on google's deep mind moving/hiring a half dozen people to their city to further develop ip elsewhere.

but 100% of other cities would have shone the limelight on trustbix who started here, are still here, employ more people than deep mind and who have a direct impact on edmonton's economy and alberta's economy that is far in excess of what we will get from deep mind.

who are they? funny you should ask but that's the problem isn't it?

they're one of the world's leaders in using block chain technology for things like food system traceability. the national wire services picked up their listing on the tsx venture exchange. too bad none of the local media felt it worth mentioning.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4283691

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:22 AM
Community Guy

'we need to shout from the rooftops who we are and what we are doing, while celebrating those who join us'.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:12 PM
Community Guy

Walk the walk and talk the talk!

https://twitter.com/dbotwickries/sta...90133873577984
@dbotwickries

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:00 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton's push to become 'Health City'.

https://www.albertaventure.com/edmon...08297402286080

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:45 PM
Community Guy

Launched today #YEGLaunch

http://edmontonglobal.ca/

Edmonton Global was created to advance economic development collaboration in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. Our work promotes the region globally and we’re focused on attracting and retaining business investment and trade right here.

We are the first ever regional economic development corporation in the region, working to create local, regional, provincial, national, and global partnerships. We collaborate with all levels of government and economic development agencies including our 15 municipalities, Invest Alberta, Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, Alberta’s Industrial Heartland Association, the Edmonton International Airport, Edmonton Health City, and Invest in Canada.

MEET OUR PARTNERS
Our vision
Edmonton Global’s vision is to make the Edmonton Metropolitan Region the choice location for global investment. To attract investment and quality jobs to the region, our strategy is to strengthen and support growth, innovation, and competitiveness — all in collaboration with the region’s 15 municipalities.

How we can help
As a foreign direct investment (FDI) and international business development company, we work as an ally to attract investment to, and promote trade from, Canada and our region. We’re ready to connect with you and support your work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton