HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I hope they focus on what it will take to keep it from becoming another Marie Burlie Park.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:13 PM
HVAC guru

They need market investment in there to offset the current environment of heavily concentrated non-market and rooming houses. I don't know if this park and the armature are nearly enough to draw people north of Jasper Ave.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
They need market investment in there to offset the current environment of heavily concentrated non-market and rooming houses. I don't know if this park and the armature are nearly enough to draw people north of Jasper Ave.
If the park is designed to deter vagrants and rift raft looking for trouble - then some housing / likely towers should spring forth. If it's going too be full of bench type seating that lets people sleep and encamp - no developer will spend a dime and unlikely anyone would invest in purchase of a condo. My opinion.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:52 PM

Any movement on that artist's quarters building? Is it a no go until they lock in more funding?

Maybe this area needs some investors looking to build rentals. Someone go knock on Day or Edgar's door please and thank you.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:54 PM

What is the armature?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:08 PM
Community Guy

^^Prov funding needed.

^96st

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:06 PM

Perhaps some Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, and Tennis courts would fit there. Give it lighting and 24 hr security to prevent loitering and crime.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:55 PM
HVAC guru

^ chicken and egg though. There needs to be actual incentives to develop there

The city has done such a shit poor job of incentivizing and promiting development in areas that require it, I'm not confident that they'll be able to spur any meaningful develoment at this site at any point in the forseeable future

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:57 PM
Community Guy

It is going to be a long-term development vista, but the COE/DBA etc. have been working with some developers and there is interest.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:03 PM
HVAC guru

^ sorry but I'll wait & see. The CoE has had significant difficulty with these types of areas and frankly I can't see how DBA has any influence here. This will be a long term development indeed. Very long term

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:34 PM
Community Guy

We hosted a panel event to discuss how to get more interest and from that we have 3-4 more developers interested and are now being connected to the right folks. The Quarters are within my boundary and it is a priority for me to get it moving.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:16 PM
HVAC guru

^ well good luck.. you're gonna need it for that area, it's going to be a tough spot to get private developers to invest capital

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We hosted a panel event to discuss how to get more interest and from that we have 3-4 more developers interested and are now being connected to the right folks. The Quarters are within my boundary and it is a priority for me to get it moving.
Per my comments at the open house last night (not made for the first time):

1. 96 Street needs to remain open to traffic IN BOTH DIRECTIONS all the way from Jasper Avenue to 103A Ave. That includes removing the bollards at Jasper Avenue even if that means 101A Avenue has to "dead end" at a cul-de sac or the lane to keep that intersection functional. This would also help the Hyatt Place immensely as getting to it now other than west bound on Jasper Avenue is awkward/problematic at best. If you need to limit access to Jasper, open the street and close the lane.

2. Where the street narrows in front of the park, take the bike traffic from the west/street side of the park to the east/lane side of the park if widening the street to provide two lanes of traffic through that block is no longer an option.

3. 1 and 2 will provide more visibility to and increase the traffic in front of the desired lane oriented retail fronting the east side of the park.

Adding eyes on the streets at this stage of the Quarters redevelopment is paramount, as is the provision of intuitive access that accommodates cars as well as pedestrians and bikes.

Selling the area to developers and lenders and tenants and customers - particularly for the first time - requires simple, direct and easy access if you want to show it off to those whom you want to buy in. As long as the Quarters stays hidden and disconnected and sequestered, it will continue to struggle no matter how nice some of the public elements you can't get to. Somewhere along the line the fact 96th Street is a street seems to have been lost. Even the new standards for "complete streets", continues to accommodate and not banish cars.

Last edited by kcantor; Jun 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM. Reason: corrected street reference

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:26 PM
HVAC guru

I hope you mean 101A ave, not 102..

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:02 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I hope you mean 101A ave, not 102..
corrected, thank you...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:00 PM

I agree with all the points Ken made. Closing off 96th to Jasper is ridiculous. It's created a dysfunctional street devoid of traffic and needs to reopened immediately.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:03 PM
Community Guy

I am not convinced that having it open to Jasper will do much, if anything to be frank. Other more important issues to deal with.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:24 PM

But this one's so cheap and easy.

Why wouldn't you just try?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
But this one's so cheap and easy.

Why wouldn't you just try?
bingo... winner winner chicken dinner!

this is high value low hanging fruit - exactly the sort of thing we should be jumping all over every chance we get.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton