HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
I'm surprised they didn't have to bury the power lines on the backside of this development, they must have gotten permits approved prior to the change of midtown zoning regulation update...unless they are planning on doing this as part of the Juniper Complete Streets project?
Is there a new regulation required power lines to be buried?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
Is there a new regulation required power lines to be buried?
Yep. All lines (except one) are buried along 7th. Juniper are still above ground.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:31 PM

This project predates the zoning change, they are not required to bury lines.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:23 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
This project predates the zoning change, they are not required to bury lines.
So I would assume everything that is currently under construction must do this? This is just Midtown? Does this include West Midtown? Buckhead?

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:40 PM

Westbound 7th Street was open this morning! First day in two years

Congrats to the folks at Hanover for completing the job!!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Westbound 7th Street was open this morning! First day in two years

Congrats to the folks at Hanover for completing the job!!
First week day, at least. It is a damn nice building, indeed.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 10:20 PM

Loudermilk has acquired the office and retail space.

Quote:
We are excited to announce the acquisition of 881 Peachtree, a mixed-use project developed by Hanover located in Midtown. LCO originally sold the site to Hanover and has executed its option to purchase the office + retail component upon completion. 881 Peachtree will provide an incredible new location to @wework who is utilizing the entire office portion, including a rooftop terrace. Now curating active retail space.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxx7qq0lOLE/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:52 PM
i ain't no bubba

Very pleased with how this turned out...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:56 AM

Agreed. It's a really nice project overall.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:03 PM

Development Above the Office Portion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
Very pleased with how this turned out...

Does the office portion of this project allow for any development above it, or was the office building built in such a way that it could easily be dismantled to allow for another high-rise development within it's footprint?

Of course this would only work if there were enough excess parking already available in the Hanover garage.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Does the office portion of this project allow for any development above it, or was the office building built in such a way that it could easily be dismantled to allow for another high-rise development within it's footprint?

Of course this would only work if there were enough excess parking already available in the Hanover garage.
I don't know this for a fact but I bet they needed the low rise office portion to achieve the F.A.R. (floor area ratio) maximums set forth by the midtown zoning code.

Unless the midtown zoning code is revisited, I'm assuming that low rise portion is required to stay as-is in order to achieve the height of the permitted residential tower.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:59 PM
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaarchitect View Post
I don't know this for a fact but I bet they needed the low rise office portion to achieve the F.A.R. (floor area ratio) maximums set forth by the midtown zoning code.

Unless the midtown zoning code is revisited, I'm assuming that low rise portion is required to stay as-is in order to achieve the height of the permitted residential tower.
Can you explain this concept further?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:07 PM

This is a rare instance in which the final product was better than the rendering IMO

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student View Post
Can you explain this concept further?
Gladly - and again I'm just assuming this is the reason you see similar properties with both a low and high rise component (Azure, nine15 Midtown, Modera, etc.) - Midtown wasn't really intended for heavy density beyond the 20-30 story towers we see being built today. A standalone taller tower would require a very large lot, a change in the zoning code, or a variance which is often a costly and lengthy process.

The floor area ratio (FAR) is defined as "the relationship between the total amount of usable floor area that a building has, or has been permitted to have and the total area of the lot on which the building stands. The ratio is determined by dividing the total or gross floor area of the building by the gross area of the lot. A higher ratio is more likely to indicate a dense or urban construction. Local governments use FAR for zoning codes."

Most of midtown is classified as SPI-16. This zone tops out at a 5.0 F.A.R. This can be increased to up to a 10.2 F.A.R. with special bonuses that incentive good urban design (i.e. including retail, burying parking, green design, including a public park, etc.). An example: My 3 acre (130680 sq ft) lot allows me to build a 653,400+ square foot building at 5.0 F.A.R. while a smaller 1 acre (43,560 sq ft) lot tops out at 217,800 max square feet. If I spread my building's square footage out over a larger lot, obviously my F.A.R goes down and I can achieve a taller building.

If you google 'floor area ratios' you can find some nice diagrams that graphically explain the concept:

https://www.planning.org/pas/reports/report111.htm

The downtown CBD has much higher F.A.R.'s as it should.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:00 PM

Midtown was intended to be an "uptown district" similar to Upper East/Westside of Manhattan or Gold coast Chicago. That's why the FAR is limited. I think it's an outdated code and it's time to allow larger buildings in the area. It has 4 subway lines and a grid.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Midtown was intended to be an "uptown district" similar to Upper East/Westside of Manhattan or Gold coast Chicago. That's why the FAR is limited. I think it's an outdated code and it's time to allow larger buildings in the area. It has 4 subway lines and a grid.
Agreed - it's time to revisit. In retrospect we should've known what a catalyst for development GA Tech & Piedmont Park would be for urban growth in the city. I always struggle to explain to visitors that midtown is really downtown and downtown is for tourists, conventioneers, and sportsball - forgive my oversimplification. Our city is obviously not alone in that...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta