HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Thank you for posting this.
this is a good short companion piece that goes with the other report.....

Video Link

If what's happening to the 'emerald city' Seattle and the 'I left my heart' San francisco gets a firmer chokehold on dtla, all the best designed projs, most ped friendly layouts & tallest bldgs possible won't mean much. Improvements to dt will be slowly sabotaged by too much grittiness....sights & smells too unpleasant for even many hearty urban enthusiasts to tolerate after so many yrs....or months.

Quote:
Amid gentrification fears, L.A. approves 725-unit apartment project in Chinatown

The Los Angeles City Council voted Friday to approve College Station, a 725-unit residential project in Chinatown, amid warnings about gentrification and displacement.

The Los Angeles City Council signed off Friday on a 725-unit apartment project in Chinatown, amid objections from activists who said it has no affordable housing and will result in the displacement of low-income residents.

On a 14 to 0 vote, council members backed the proposal from Atlas Capital Group, a New York-based real estate company, to construct five seven-story apartment buildings across from a Metro Gold Line light rail station.

The project, known as College Station, has been the subject of an opposition campaign by Chinatown Community for Equitable Development, which contends that the arrival of hundreds of market-rate homes will fuel gentrification, pushing up rents in nearby apartments.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 4:35 AM

Homeless problem in LA City will always be an major issue. It does seem like nothing is getting done, despite 1000s getting sheltered over the past 5 years. But remember LA is one city in the vast Metro and CSA. Yet it has a huge majority of all the homeless population to deal with. It sucks because funds that could pay for street repair, schools, street maintenance, safety, and so on is used to deal with homelessness versus other cities who dont have that issue thus have more money for other things. And while LA takes hundreds off the streets every year, the numbers will never really fall because they will just be replaced by homeless in other parts of county or Metropolis and from other states. It isn't like if there is a homeless person in Glendale, Alhambra, simi Valley, Culver city, Cerritos, they become the property of that city. Homeless get moved around a lot.

So while Downtown and other communities are building shelters or bridges (dont know the name), I wish this was a county and metro wide thing, so homeless can be transported to other areas and seek help.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
this is a good short companion piece that goes with the other report.....

Video Link

If what's happening to the 'emerald city' Seattle and the 'I left my heart' San francisco gets a firmer chokehold on dtla, all the best designed projs, most ped friendly layouts & tallest bldgs possible won't mean much. Improvements to dt will be slowly sabotaged by too much grittiness....sights & smells too unpleasant for even many hearty urban enthusiasts to tolerate after so many yrs....or months.
Looking into my crystal ball, I see a relocation of Chinatown to Monterrey Park, just like in Manhattan, if you want to see the bigger Chinatown, you head out to Flushing, which I did one time. A couple years ago, I stayed at the Red Pagoda Inn in Chinatown and someone told me if I wanted the best in Chinese Food to head out to Monterrey Park, which I did. I've been to San Francisco's Chinatown, and L.A.'s Chinatown can't hold a candle to it, never really could.

When these buildings are completed, it may be the tombstones for L.A.'s Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I've been to San Francisco's Chinatown, and L.A.'s Chinatown can't hold a candle to it, never really could.

When these buildings are completed, it may be the tombstones for L.A.'s Chinatown.
THIS. I have found it kind of fascinating that in the land of film and entertainment, our Chinatown barely resembles anything Chinese at least in terms of architecture. I actually really like Chinatown in San Francisco, feels pretty authentic. I feel you could say the same about Koreatown and Little Tokyo here as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I've been to San Francisco's Chinatown, and L.A.'s Chinatown can't hold a candle to it, never really could.

Lol. This is somewhat hilarious. San Francisco is known to have the largest Chinese district outside of China. Whether it’s LA or NYC, nobody cares to be bigger or better than SF’s Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Lol. This is somewhat hilarious. San Francisco is known to have the largest Chinese district outside of China. Whether it’s LA or NYC, nobody cares to be bigger or better than SF’s Chinatown.
The San Gabriel Valley area just east of DTLA has FAR FAR more Chinese than San Francisco. West San Gabriel Valley iis the real heart of the Chinese community in L.A., and mybe the west coast not Chinatown. It is real, not some cartoon tourist version of Chinatown. Really good authentic Chinese cuisine. That being said, for the tourists and locals it would be nice if L.A. "Chinatown" was a bit more dense and lively like SF "Chinatown". All for it. Higher density housing is part of the solution, with a large part of the units being affordable. And why doesn't San Diego have a Chinatown? Quite a few Chinese live down here.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 23, 2019 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
our Chinatown barely resembles anything Chinese at least in terms of architecture.
not sure what you really mean by that.

Not resembling anything chinese in a legitimately old shanghai, old beijing sort of way? In a real Chinese city sort of way? In a non themed, non 'oriental' chinese sort of way? In a big modern urban Taiwan-china sort of way?

beyond that, Chinatowns are vestiges of a younger, less sophisticated America, so they've run their course. They're now similar to the way a knotts berry farm resembles small American wild west towns of the 1800s.

Video Link

^ I just noticed the tagline in the ending of that vid. This to me will always symbolize LA's chinatown....full of melancholy, a kind of sleepiness & sort of its own sound trac. Music that will forever evoke the odd charm, idiosyncratic flaws and nostalgia of both new & old LA, chinatown included.....

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by citywatch; Mar 24, 2019 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Looking into my crystal ball, I see a relocation of Chinatown to Monterrey Park, just like in Manhattan, if you want to see the bigger Chinatown, you head out to Flushing, which I did one time. A couple years ago, I stayed at the Red Pagoda Inn in Chinatown and someone told me if I wanted the best in Chinese Food to head out to Monterrey Park, which I did. I've been to San Francisco's Chinatown, and L.A.'s Chinatown can't hold a candle to it, never really could.
You’re about 30 years late on that prediction. Everyone already knows The San Gabriel Valley has been LA’s “Chinatown” since the 80s, maybe earlier. 626, like 90210, is a now an Asian thing.

Video Link

Chinatown has important relevance as a piece of America inhabited by early Chinese. But in modern society, it’s like marketing the fake Paris in Hangzhou, China to French ex-patriots. These areas aren’t relevant anymore for attracting recent immigrants outside of long time historic institutions. Relevant Chinese food and culture aren’t found in Chinatowns, not even San Francisco’s. They’re found in Monterey Park and the rest of 626.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
You’re about 30 years late on that prediction. Everyone already knows The San Gabriel Valley has been LA’s “Chinatown” since the 80s, maybe earlier. 626, like 90210, is a now an Asian thing.

Video Link

Chinatown has important relevance as a piece of America inhabited by early Chinese. But in modern society, it’s like marketing the fake Paris in Hangzhou, China to French ex-patriots. These areas aren’t relevant anymore for attracting recent immigrants outside of long time historic institutions. Relevant Chinese food and culture aren’t found in Chinatowns, not even San Francisco’s. They’re found in Monterey Park and the rest of 626.
True. "Chinatowns" (whether in L.A. or S.F.) with their pagoda architecture and box latterns and "Chop Suey" signs are a theme park version of China for the tourists. They may have historic significance as the original place of Chinese settlement, but they are possibly dinosaurs. China today looks like Shanghai and Hong Kong with 100 story skyscrapers and dense apartment/condo towers, like the Metropolis & Oceanwide towers Chinese developers have been building. But a revitalized Chinatown in L.A. with high density housing and perhaps some historic Chinese look isn't a bad idea, but maybe a bit more like Koreatown with 30 story apartment/condo towers and office buildings and a modern look as well. People do like these little streets and alleys lined with obscure shops and pagodas and restaurants and mysterious activities as long as they are genuine and not entirely fake--so keep some of these things. The main thing is density & activity & the best restaurants and culture. Aunthenticity is the key word. But the main area that Chinese live is still in the San Gabriel Valley. A more authentic Chinatown though is important, as a central gathering place for holidays like the Chinese New Year and place where tens of thousands can live and recreate.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
not sure what you really mean by that.

Not resembling anything chinese in a legitimately old shanghai, old beijing sort of way? In a real Chinese city sort of way? In a non themed, non 'oriental' chinese sort of way? In a big modern urban Taiwan-china sort of way?

beyond that, Chinatowns are vestiges of a younger, less sophisticated America, so they've run their course. They're now similar to the way a knotts berry farm resembles small American wild west towns of the 1800s.

Video Link
I suppose I was hoping for it to be something more like the plaza in the video above. That is the only area in Chinatown that gives me a 'Chinese vibe.' Yet again, I absolutely love The Strip in Vegas and the fantasy that creates. I'm unsure of the correct architectural terms but the curved roofs, lanterns and the attention to detail would be great to see all over Chinatown. Sadly all over the city we are building more and more uninteresting and bland boxes of glass and/or stucco. Wish we could continue building like they did in the early 1900's at least in terms of detail.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 11:29 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I suppose I was hoping for it to be something more like the plaza in the video above. That is the only area in Chinatown that gives me a 'Chinese vibe.' Yet again, I absolutely love The Strip in Vegas and the fantasy that creates. I'm unsure of the correct architectural terms but the curved roofs, lanterns and the attention to detail would be great to see all over Chinatown. Sadly all over the city we are building more and more uninteresting and bland boxes of glass and/or stucco. Wish we could continue building like they did in the early 1900's at least in terms of detail.
I think creating a district perpetuated upon the architecture of racial stereotypes is frowned upon these days.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I think creating a district perpetuated upon the architecture of racial stereotypes is frowned upon these days.
Woah, okay. I had no idea that replicating that type of architecture was a 'bad thing.' I thought it was ancient/historic chinese architecture that they just kind of stopped doing as the world modernized. Why would there need to be any negativity attached to it? Not everything is racist.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Woah, okay. I had no idea that replicating that type of architecture was a 'bad thing.' I thought it was ancient/historic chinese architecture that they just kind of stopped doing as the world modernized. Why would there need to be any negativity attached to it? Not everything is racist.
Even the history of Chinatown SF shows that the “ancient Chinese” architecture was forced and not natural. I forgot the details, but basically the city of SF needed or wanted a way to earn more revenue, so they thought “let’s make a tourist trap outta Chinatown” which at the time looked like a normal neighborhood but with Chinese language.. similar to what SGV or Chinatown NY is today. Only thing SF did was added Chinese lanterns, gates, those lion statues, pagodas, etc etc... and voila! You have today’s SF Chinatown that draws hundreds of tourists daily or whatever. It’s a Chinese Disneyland that wasn’t authentic in the first place, but some of us being unaware of that history just assume it was built that way naturally.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:01 PM

Can we move on from this topic?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Can we move on from this topic?
One of the few times we’re actually in agreement.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
One of the few times we’re actually in agreement.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 10:22 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Honestly cant say I'm surprised. I'm more interested in the look and street level anyway. Always sad to see a project lose height, but an 850 foot tower and a 540 foot tower are nothing to sneeze at.

From UrbanizeLA

https://urbanize.la/post/dtlas-angel...t-loses-height

DTLA's Angels Landing Development Loses Height

Quote:
Angels Landing, the $1.2-billion development slated for the coveted Bunker Hill Y-1 parcel, is getting design tweaks, according to an initial study published today by the City of Los Angeles.

Angels Landing Partners - a team comprised of MacFarlane Partners, the Peebles Corporation, and Claridge Properties - won the development rights to the property at 4th and Hill Streets in 2017, beating out competing proposals from three other teams. When their project was officially submitted to the City of Los Angeles last year, it was imagined as a 1.26-million-square-foot development featuring 120 condominiums, 450 rental apartments, 480 hotel rooms, a charter school, and commercial space. Plans call for two buildings - towers of 88 and 24 stories - the larger of which would have stood approximately 1,020 feet in height.

Now, according to the project's initial study, Angels Landing Partners has changed its plans to include towers of 64 and 48 stories, rising to architectural peaks of 854 and 542 feet respectively. The programming within the two buildings would remain largely the same - plans now call for 180 for-sale condominiums, 261 market-rate and affordable rental units, two hotels with a combined total of 509 guest rooms, approximately 36,000 square feet of commercial space, and nearly 39,000 square feet of flex space that is likely to be used for an elementary school. Nearly 57,000 square square feet of public open space is also proposed in the form of a street-fronting plaza at 4th and Hill, and a connection to California Plaza at-grade with Grand Avenue to the west.

A diagram crafted by Handel Architects, which is designing Angels Landing, shows that the two hotels - an SLS and a Mondrian - would be located in separate towers, with residential uses to occupy the floors above. Retail would be located at ground level along Hill Street, and at-grade with California Plaza.

The project, which will abut an entrance to the Pershing Square subway station, would include up to 750 parking spaces in as many as seven subterranean levels.

Project construction is anticipated to be completed in 2028.

The Angels Landing development is one of several high-rise projects planned near the Pershing Square Metro station, including a 53-story tower at 5th and Hill Streets, and a proposed 33-story building at the opposite corner of 4th and Hill. Across the street from Pershing Square itself, construction is nearing completion for the Park Fifth development, which is highlighted by a 24-story tower

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Inside Warner Music Group’s new LA HQ

Warner Music Group’s new LA office is open for business, marking the first time that the LA-based teams of Warner/Chappell, Warner Bros. Records, Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, WEA, and ADA are all under one roof.

Designed by architecture firm Rockwell Group, the building is located in Downtown LA’s art district and features recording studios, artist lounges, and custom-designed offices.

The building features custom murals designed by local artists with more artwork to be revealed in the coming weeks.

Christopher Payne-Esto for Rockwell Group

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Honestly cant say I'm surprised. I'm more interested in the look and street level anyway. Always sad to see a project lose height, but an 850 foot tower and a 540 foot tower are nothing to sneeze at.

From UrbanizeLA

https://urbanize.la/post/dtlas-angel...t-loses-height

DTLA's Angels Landing Development Loses Height
Tall tower will be the height of Aon so that is still pretty tall. The shorter tower no longer a stub so that is an improvement. Wish they could move a little faster on it. Maybe waiting for the next cycle?

Any news on the condo tower north of Pershing Square with the hanging infinity pools jutting out like porcupine quills? Does it have financing? That would be wild & different. Instant tourist attraction.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Any news on the condo tower north of Pershing Square with the hanging infinity pools jutting out like porcupine quills? Does it have financing? That would be wild & different. Instant tourist attraction.
I’d be surprised if it got built in its current design. All those cantilevers with pools would make it extremely expensive to build.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations