HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
^

No immediate plans now, but there is definitely the possibility long-term.

Why do schools tend to perform poorly in lower-income neighbourhoods? You'd think that public schools province-wide would receive equitable funding regardless of demographics.
They do and the schools are good and provide excellent educations but children are going to be exposed to a lot more social issues and varied economic status and for that takes more attention and effort so the same funding and staffing isn't enough because the schools wind up acting as a social service and a safe place.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 AM

Based on standardized testing. I've found some schools in neighbourhoods along the Henday which you'd think are well to do areas but some of them scored poorly.

If you're in no rush right now, continue renting. I really don't expect the market to pick back up for another couple of years. Rent is rock bottom right now so just continue to save up. I think that's what most people will urge you to consider.

On the other hand, if you're single or not planning to have kids anytime soon, I work downtown and park my car up in Chinatown so I see a few interesting characters on my walk each day but never felt threatened by anyone ever. If the neighbourhood improves (gentrifies) by the time you're ready to move on up, you can cash in.

I was going to buy in Beverly but ended up buying in Fraser but I sometimes wish I lived closer to the downtown core. It's 40 minutes at worst for me to downtown including my walk but compared to my old 8 to 12 minute commute in Kelowna, it's so freaking far. So I certainly won't dissuade you from buying in Boyle Street. One of my coworkers is about to buy a house west of Commonwealth Stadium which isn't that great of a neighbourhood either but he's hoping for future improvements to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If you're in no rush right now, continue renting. I really don't expect the market to pick back up for another couple of years. Rent is rock bottom right now so just continue to save up. I think that's what most people will urge you to consider.

It's 40 minutes at worst for me to downtown including my walk but compared to my old 8 to 12 minute commute in Kelowna, it's so freaking far. .
I would agree with this. Take the time to find the right place. Its not like we have to bid on homes.
How fast when you use your bike.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:00 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I was going to buy in Beverly but ended up buying in Fraser but I sometimes wish I lived closer to the downtown core. It's 40 minutes at worst for me to downtown including my walk but compared to my old 8 to 12 minute commute in Kelowna, it's so freaking far. So I certainly won't dissuade you from buying in Boyle Street. One of my coworkers is about to buy a house west of Commonwealth Stadium which isn't that great of a neighbourhood either but he's hoping for future improvements to the neighbourhood.
It's important to understand that neighborhood improvements happen painfully slowly, often taking two steps back with one step forward. In inner city neighborhoods you also see that things get better more rapidly when the economy is good, but things tend to get worse when the economy isn't great. While I certainly saw improvements in the Parkdale area during my time there, the progress was painfully slow, frustrating and incremental. Anyone hoping that McCauley or Boyle Street will get much better at a faster pace will be disappointed.

We've now lived in the Capilano are for four years and as with SHOFEAR the difference here compared to where we lived previously is like night & day. The city takes much better care of this neighborhood, we have next to no crime and no disorder, all of our neighbors are fiercely protective and look out for our place when we're away. I don't have to make sure my BBQ is locked up, our alley isn't full of garbage from the slum rooming house across the way, in a nutshell people where we live now give a shit. Too many people in our former area just didn't, and it showed. And a lot of the time it seemed like the city didn't really give a shit either. The house over there was still a good investment for the time I had it but I wouldn't go back there now.

We've got the best of both worlds here in Capilano, we get the substantial benefits of being in a desirable suburban area while having a 10 minute commute from work downtown. A lot of developers are taking note and now we're seeing $900,000 infills being built in our neighbourhood, which helps drive up the value of our place. Sales are slow on those now too, just like central condos, so I agree that at this time, it may be a good time to rent for a while and see where the market goes. The deals on condos are insane in the deep SW at the moment as well.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Volunteers, nutrition, rest, health, social issues at home...
all of which are exacerbated by “open boundaries” which leads to full portables in crestwood and empty classrooms in norwood, an issue because the province funds schools by enrolment numbers. because the fixed costs - heat/light/janitorial/grounds maintenance etc. - are fixed, programs addressing nutrition/health/social issues etc. are the first to be cut back. and because it’s the most capable kids that are the most likely to be driven or bussed elsewhere, the local school loses things like positive peer pressure and good role models.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
How fast when you use your bike.
25-30 minutes because I can afford to park it close to work. I don't ride it fast, especially not in photo radar happy Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We've now lived in the Capilano are for four years and as with SHOFEAR the difference here compared to where we lived previously is like night & day. The city takes much better care of this neighborhood, we have next to no crime and no disorder, all of our neighbors are fiercely protective and look out for our place when we're away. I don't have to make sure my BBQ is locked up, our alley isn't full of garbage from the slum rooming house across the way, in a nutshell people where we live now give a shit. Too many people in our former area just didn't, and it showed. And a lot of the time it seemed like the city didn't really give a shit either. The house over there was still a good investment for the time I had it but I wouldn't go back there now.

We've got the best of both worlds here in Capilano, we get the substantial benefits of being in a desirable suburban area while having a 10 minute commute from work downtown. A lot of developers are taking note and now we're seeing $900,000 infills being built in our neighbourhood, which helps drive up the value of our place. Sales are slow on those now too, just like central condos, so I agree that at this time, it may be a good time to rent for a while and see where the market goes. The deals on condos are insane in the deep SW at the moment as well.
Lol I had my BBQ stolen from my ground floor condo patio in Whalley, Surrey. Oh good times.

Fraser is being pushed up by new homes being built around it. When it comes time to move on up, it seems we can stay in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
all of which are exacerbated by “open boundaries” which leads to full portables in crestwood and empty classrooms in norwood, an issue because the province funds schools by enrolment numbers. because the fixed costs - heat/light/janitorial/grounds maintenance etc. - are fixed, programs addressing nutrition/health/social issues etc. are the first to be cut back. and because it’s the most capable kids that are the most likely to be driven or bussed elsewhere, the local school loses things like positive peer pressure and good role models.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that school boundaries should be closed so people who can't afford to live in a wealthy area aren't able to send their children to the best schools possible? Seems a bit ridiculous to argue that poor kids should stick together if they want that school nutrition program...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:35 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that school boundaries should be closed so people who can't afford to live in a wealthy area aren't able to send their children to the best schools possible? Seems a bit ridiculous to argue that poor kids should stick together if they want that school nutrition program...
Pretty sure the point was more capable students, those being from a more well off background, have the ability to seek out better schools outside of the traditional neighborhood school boundary. This would be for various reasons...such as parents who have their shit together place a higher priority on better education and have the ability in their schedule to drive their kids to schools. The result is your better students (the logic being successful adults are most likely to raise successful kids) and you are left with the riff raff at central schools. he's right.

The other upcoming issue is will we see a proliferation of private schools similar to Calgary? Edmonton has for the most part not seen these happen to the same extent and the impact would be a continuation of the issues above.

Going back to my original point...it's not something that really concerns you when your in your 20's looking at your first place. It creates a significant disconnect between wide eyed 20 somethings that think living centrally and urbanism is cool vs adults who have far far bigger priorities than a grocery store within walking distance and a local pub around the corner with 25 different microbrews on tap. I was once in that first category and had many friends and acquaintances move out of the core once they had kids and it baffled me...I thought we were part of a generation that was going to change things.....but now....yeah I get it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
or maybe fund the schools independent of the number of students so that things like school nutrition programs aren’t the first things to get cut because paying for heat and light isn’t an option? maybe provide the proper resources and funding so that inner city schools - like those in boston and other cities - also become some of the best schools possible? why shouldn’t norwood be as attractive a school for an out of boundary student as crestwood?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 8:20 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 4:20 PM

All this talk of what is the "right" neighbourhood in which to raise a family just confirms my belief that we need a diversity of housing options (ground-level homes, low-rise apartments, mid-rise apartments, high-rise apartments, rental, owned, co-operative, co-living, dormatories, group homes, long-term care homes, etc...) in every neighbourhood.

Except for McMansions. Those things are the devil and should never be built anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:03 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:13 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Quite exciting, though will be sad to see the market moved indoors, though hopefully vendors can be set up along 103 Ave as well.

The biggest change will be during the colder months though, where the indoor space will be much better suited to the market than City Hall. Love that the GWG Building will get some much needed TLC and reactivation.

Can't wait to see plans!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:31 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Quite exciting, though will be sad to see the market moved indoors, though hopefully vendors can be set up along 103 Ave as well.

The biggest change will be during the colder months though, where the indoor space will be much better suited to the market than City Hall. Love that the GWG Building will get some much needed TLC and reactivation.

Can't wait to see plans!
Yeah the city hall setup was not very good. It was convenient though as you could park right outside and run in. I look forward to the new 97st market. I think it was a great decision to locate it there permanently.

We've never checked out the St Albert market, might need to hit that one in the summer one day

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:53 AM
Community Guy

A sneak peek of our new City Market. Notice the new rollup doors fronting 103Ave. They plan on opening May 18/19. The outdoor portion will be along 103ave and up/down 96st as required.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1115425967827087360
@ianoyeg

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:32 AM

^

still doesn't look quite "right" without racks of clothing, boxes of shoes, fishing rods and tents for sale but may 18/19 can't come soon enough to fix that.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:44 AM

Anyone know why there are no roll ups on 97th?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Anyone know why there are no roll ups on 97th?
my guess is too big a grade differential to the sidewalk and a sidewalk that is too narrow for it to be much of a loss...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 4:26 AM

Don’t know what to think. In the interior photo looking at the roll ups they appear to have the original exterior windows glazing on a few with the roll ups. The 97 street side is going to look sterile unless that put awnings up and open it somehow. Otherwise it will look like the old Red Strap that never did take off. The inside I like very much and have fond memories of the A&N back as a boy - seems a life time ago. I sure hope this project is successful - it’s going to take a lot of marketing to fill that space with rent paying retailers and restaurants. I hope restaurants serve food purchased from the market - some symbiotic relationship. They will need to build from their own cooperative strengths to make it viable and exciting for shoppers. That’s a big job for someone to lead this effort.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:46 PM

Would be nice if they could restore the old GWG exterior.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton