HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 8:00 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

These NIMBYfeckers need to be sued personally by the developers and financiers of both UES projects.

And by Deblasio himself.

If he's as "pro-development" as he says he is? Hell, yeah.

Edit: Or do what Robert Moses did and force the City Council to order a shitload of evictions.

Send the whole fecking lot of 'em to Connecticut.

Edited Edit:
Better yet, have every fecking member of the NY City Council rewrite the Zoning Code to the mutual satisfaction of all parties involved...without bathroom priveleges intil such work is completed.

There ya go.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

These people...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:26 AM

"He added that the goal of the plaintiffs is to limit the tower to roughly its current size, about 17 stories. The developers were planning a 51-story tower".

What the hell does this mean, the building will stop or has stopped at current height?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:14 AM

I have no idea how these kind of laws work in the US, but I would like to think going up 17 floors one would assume that a lot of contracts have already been signed with the various trades. I would think that this would be a case of, you came to the table a little too late to complain about height.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That's kinda what it comes down to. Especially if the parcel configuration was bought like that. A grey area is still perfectly fine. If they wanted a different outcome, they should of changed it prior to this rising.

Hopefully this can rise to completion. Its a stunning design.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:26 PM
BANNED

I've read back a few pages but still can't quite make sense of the situation. Can I trouble someone to briefly explain to me why exactly these AOC-type SJWs are trying to stop this handsome development, at this point in construction? This sets a terrible precedent that even after all the tedious front-end work is completed and all zoning boards have reviewed, still no approved development is safe from Shadow Justice Warriors.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I've read back a few pages but still can't quite make sense of the situation. Can I trouble someone to briefly explain to me why exactly these AOC-type SJWs are trying to stop this handsome development, at this point in construction? This sets a terrible precedent that even after all the tedious front-end work is completed and all zoning boards have reviewed, still no approved development is safe from Shadow Justice Warriors.
Mental illness, self-obsession, aggressive boredom, etc

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:05 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Permission to speak my piece here:

At least from my perspective, there appears to be the idea afoot that AOC single-handedly put the kibosh on this development simply by virtue (or lack thereof, perhaps) of the fact that thiswasto be placed in her Congressional district.

Again, from my own perspective, this doesn't seem to be entirely wrong; but one has to admit that the way busines sis done in this City and State was a contributing factor.Whatever Cuomo and DiBlasio's feud centers around, one would think a truce of sorts would be most expedient for the betterment of the City.

But what do I know?

BTW Amazon's cold feet didn't exactly put them in good stead with upwards of 40,000 job-seekers, either.

No good guys or winners here, folks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This feud over this development has been in the works well before HQ2's bid and before AOC was even a thing. There isn't really a correlation between the two, at least with this development. The rape of LIC and hindrance of future growth had everything to do with SJW and AOC, and the local residents. But thats a different topic for a different thread.

Just classical UWS NIMBYism at its finest.

Similar to how the LES towers are facing stiff opposition. Not just from residents, but from officials.

The NIMBY infestation continues, and its particularly bad when you have elected officials against developments.

Yet when it comes time to increase housing, because folks complain about costs, no action occurs either. So some of these politicians really can't claim that they are for the people, because neglecting housing, is neglecting people.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
There have been some developers that are increasingly seeing NY as hostile towards development, and the cost of business is becoming quite high, so what are they doing?... they are flocking to other metros such as Miami-Dade and in Texas.

Cost of business has been high for a while, but when you factor in the unneeded costs, such as the bs with this project, and the court dates with others, it really starts to add up. Delays = expenses. Legal fees, increased time going through the approval process, hiring contractors, negotiating contracts with vendors, it all adds up.

Worst thing is the cost of property, but all this un-needed expense is pushing folks away. The up-front commitment needed and risk that is required is incredible.

NYC is only getting pricier, with the housing crisis getting worse, and transit not seeing much gain. At some point, the city will have to stop catering to this anti-development vibe that is spreading, and start thinking about its future. Even if it means pissing residents off.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The Upper West Side’s New Tallest Tower Begins Gaining Prominence, At 200 Amsterdam Avenue

Quote:
Construction at 200 Amsterdam Avenue is quickly rising above the surrounding rooftops. When topped out, the 668-foot-tall residential development will hold the title of tallest skyscraper on the Upper West Side until Extell‘s 775-foot tall tower at 50 West 66th Street tops out. The building is designed by Elkus Manfredi Architects, which was responsible for The Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards. SJP Properties is the developer while CetraRuddy is the lead interior designer. The 283,000-square-foot project, which sits at the southwestern corner of Amsterdam Avenue and West 70th Street, will yield 112 residential units.

Work is presently reaching a couple of mechanical floors. This section of the building is where the first of seven setbacks on the eastern elevation begins.

The height of the crown will be accentuated and visually integrated with the rest of the building by the number of thin panel strips between the glass windows. They will extend beyond the residential floors and continue up all sides of the tower’s stepped profile. Floodlights will shine upward on the indented crown panels and give off different plays of light, shadow, and depth. Two duplex penthouses will occupy the top four floors and provide the best views of Central Park, the Midtown skyline, the George Washington Bridge, and the Hudson River.

Each setback will feature a landscaped outdoor terrace, accessible by certain units. Other amenities will include an indoor swimming pool, a fitness center with a yoga space, a sauna room, a conservatory, a virtual golf room, a children’s playroom, and a residential lounge.

The site sits among a number of old and new apartment buildings. These include Handel Architect’s 20-story, 236-unit diagrid tower at 170 Amsterdam Avenue, which is less than 200 feet away to the south. The closest subways are the 1, 2, and 3 train at the 72nd Street station at Broadway. The B and C trains are also not far away at the 72nd Street station on Central Park West. Riverside Park is about a ten-minute walk to the west.

200 Amsterdam Avenue is estimated to be completed sometime in 2020.
================
NYY

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Rise, my pretty, Rise!

http://www.westsidespirit.com/local-...rise-continues

Despite court defeat, tower’s rise continues

BY MICHAEL GAROFALO
APR 9, 2019

Quote:
Last month’s state Supreme Court decision against the developers behind 200 Amsterdam Avenue has done nothing to slow the rise of the planned 668-foot residential building.

Construction on the tower has continued apace since the March 14 ruling — which found that the city’s Board of Standards and Appeals’ decision last year to uphold plans for the project was “unreasonable and inconsistent with the plain language” of city zoning law — prompting local elected officials to call on the city to halt work immediately.

The legal challenge, filed by two nonprofit advocacy groups and supported by a number of local politicians, focused on the large, irregularly shaped zoning lot used to justify the building’s height, which critics have likened to a gerrymandered electoral district.

The court ordered the BSA to revisit the case under a new interpretation that would seem to require the agency to reverse its earlier finding that the 39-sided parcel, which encompasses pieces of several tax lots and snakes across much of the Lincoln Towers superblock, constitutes a properly formed zoning lot. But Judge W. Franc Perry stopped short of ordering the Department of Buildings to revoke the project’s building permit, instead leaving it to the BSA to reevaluate the matter and issue its own decision.

The BSA has not yet scheduled a new hearing date for the case. A BSA spokesperson said the agency anticipates a hearing will likely be held in “late May or June.”

For the time being, nothing prevents developers SJP Properties and Mitsui Fudosan from continuing work on the planned 55-story tower, which now exceeds 20 floors in height.

A DOB spokesperson directed inquiries to the city’s Law Department. In an emailed statement, Law Department Spokesman Nick Paolucci wrote that the court’s decision “does not invalidate the construction permits for this project.”

“Construction is allowed to proceed under the current permits,” Paolucci continued.
Quote:
Hearing on April 30

The plaintiffs in the case — Committee for Environmentally Sound Development, a local volunteer advocacy group, and the Municipal Art Society of New York, a prominent preservation and land use advocacy nonprofit — are seeking a court order that would stop work on the tower until the BSA reaches its decision. The court will hold a hearing April 30 on the plaintiffs’ request for a preliminary injunction, but denied the plaintiffs’ request for a temporary restraining order that would have halted construction immediately.

Since the March 14 Supreme Court ruling, the plaintiffs’ attorney alleged in a court filing, the developers have “continued to construct the illegal 55-story tower at a breakneck pace,” adding more than one story per week. The plaintiffs believe that the building is already taller than would be permitted under the zoning interpretation endorsed by the court. “If the BSA takes even six months to decide the case on remand, the building will almost certainly be complete,” the plaintiffs wrote in a filing.

The developers may also elect to appeal the Supreme Court’s decision. Representatives for developer SJP Properties did not respond to requests for comment.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully they can finish this "illegal tower" while appealing these bull-crap decisions.

The time-table for completion is in rapid mode on this one.

Quote:
The plaintiffs believe that the building is already taller than would be permitted under the zoning interpretation endorsed by the court. “If the BSA takes even six months to decide the case on remand, the building will almost certainly be complete,
That's the plan you NIMBY hacks!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

I can vaguely remember only one case where a developer had to backtrack and remove some floors. That was on the east side.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I can vaguely remember only one case where a developer had to backtrack and remove some floors. That was on the east side.
And that was a case where the developer intentionally submitted fraudulent docs. It was on E. 96., back in the early 90's.

This is all theatrics for nutty politicians and their NIMBY base.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Will this be built to full height? (I haven't been reading the articles.)

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Moving full stream ahead.

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Will this be built to full height? (I haven't been reading the articles.)
The developer is essentially aiming to build it as quickly as possible before the NIMBYS can seek to delay or even stop this. The time-table is accelerated and they are hauling booty on this. Build it before the court bs comes.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The developer is essentially aiming to build it as quickly as possible before the NIMBYS can seek to delay or even stop this. The time-table is accelerated and they are hauling booty on this. Build it before the court bs comes.
i personally like the buildings proportions (the setbacks) it will be a shame that it doesnt get built to the 656 feet height. im looking forward it does, it will compliment NY skyline when viewed from the Hudson, the city is getting crazy at construction these days

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 6:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Lets seriously hope the pace of construction doesn't jeopardize safety - not just worker safety, I'm talking about structure integrity. Pushing concrete schedules can lead to cracking and nobody wants a cracking concrete building.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive