HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:10 PM

The next big one will be to widen the 401 through Durham. Its severly underbuilt currently, and given the extreme growth that the Province has listed for Durham (its trying to build up durham to similar levels that Peel is at now) I don't see it getting any better. 6 lanes to Kingston would be nice as well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 9:44 PM

Having Durham Region rival Peel Region in terms of population is something that I am not looking forward to seeing.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 10:09 PM

Well it should go up to around 1,000,000 people compared to the existing 600,000. There will be almost 100,000 people living in Seaton alone. The 407 will take most of the brunt of that growth from my understanding though. (for comparison peel is currently at 1.3 million, so not quite peel levels, but still much much larger than it is today)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 1:48 AM
User Registered

Video Link

http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/Follow_the_Only_Road

Follow the only road.

Follow the only road.

To go anywhere in Canada, you just follow the only road.
There's only one road in Canada. We call it the Road, the only road.
Hip-hip, hooray, let's hear it for our Road.

And it's paved and wide and up to code.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:38 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Hades or Ford Nation? Same difference.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:33 PM
User Registered

Report on the 401 widening in Mississauga west to the Credit River, including expansion of the Mavis Road overpass and new ramps at 403/410: http://401expansion-mississauga.ca/u...2060213979.pdf

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'm fairly certain I remember reading that they will be 407a and 407b, the province wants to keep with the "407 toll road" theme, as te connectors will be tolled. (Silly IMO, only the mainline should if you ask me)
I agree re the tolling. The connectors definitely shouldn't be tolled.
In my opinion, the 407 shouldn't be tolled, or at least not in the way it currently is. Something more like cash on the spot and easypass lanes would make more sense and encourage more people to actually use the 407. I know so many people that refuse to use it because of issues with the billing and the fact they charge an additional fee each month.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:57 PM

they charge a $21 annual fee for the transponder, that is it. you get a big upfront fee if you don't have a transponder however, and most people get pissed off at that because they don't have one. Its something like $4 every month for a "billing fee" and $4 for every time you use the highway. All of that goes away with a transponder though.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:58 PM

You're right about the transponder, but it does deter the casual user, or those "just driving through" from using the 407, which only leads to congestion on the 401.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:29 PM
I am a typical

Yeah, an $8 fee several times a year is a serious deterrent.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
they charge a $21 annual fee for the transponder, that is it. you get a big upfront fee if you don't have a transponder however, and most people get pissed off at that because they don't have one. Its something like $4 every month for a "billing fee" and $4 for every time you use the highway. All of that goes away with a transponder though.
I wonder if any of that will change once the east extension opens. The province has said that the transponder will be the same, and billing will be streamlined between the ETR and East Extension. Presumably the province will have to have some say in the billing arrangements if that is indeed the case.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yeah, an $8 fee several times a year is a serious deterrent.
Don't forget the $15 each month 'collection fee'. Use the 407 once in a month and you'll have to pay $15 on top of the tolls just for the privilege of them billing you later rather than having an actual toll booth there. That's quite the deterrent.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One-way 407 journey from Missingsausage near Winston Churchill to terminus several kilometers away from the highway in buttfucknowhere, Whitby runs about $22 smackeroos, judging from the invoices I have received. Steep. Very steep indeed.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:27 AM

Yeah, for me to make a one-off journey on the 407 from where it starts out east in Whitby to the Airport (getting off at Airport Road) costs CDN$32.36 off-peak. A similar length journey on the I90 south east of Chicago I took cost US$3.50, payable in cash there and then.

The 407 tolling and billing practices is nothing short of a rip-off, and definitely a deterrent to the casual user.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Yeah, for me to make a one-off journey on the 407 from where it starts out east in Whitby to the Airport (getting off at Airport Road) costs CDN$32.36 off-peak. A similar length journey on the I90 south east of Chicago I took cost US$3.50, payable in cash there and then.

The 407 tolling and billing practices is nothing short of a rip-off, and definitely a deterrent to the casual user.
Very true. I drove the 407 for the first time last summer, just from the 401 to 427, and the bill was $15. For that short of a trip, it's just not worth it for the minimal amount of time saved avoiding a minor traffic inconvenience in Mississauga.

Fortunately, there are several viable alternatives to the 407. That's not always the case with toll highways.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One-way 407 journey from Missingsausage near Winston Churchill to terminus several kilometers away from the highway in buttfucknowhere, Whitby runs about $22 smackeroos, judging from the invoices I have received. Steep. Very steep indeed.
HEY! Brock is "my exit"! (though its not really an exit, at least for now) its also in Pickering.

My understanding is that it costs roughly $30 to drive the entire thing with a transponder. That lets you bypass 2-3 hours of traffic in rush hour though. Whenever I use it its Brock-404, which I think is around $6 for that, but saves me 30 mins screaming at my front windshield coming from further north on the 404. (mind you I'm not a daily user) Still get to scream at my windshield as I go further south though.

I don't mind it, if they charged $4 for the entire thing it would be a parking lot at rush hour as well. They charge as little as they can without clogging up the highway, going on it at rush hour it will be about as full as it can get while still having 5 lanes of cars moving 100km/h. Off peak rates should really drop though, it sits empty outside the hours of 7-9 and 4-7. There is no reason why at 2 in the afternoon you shouldn't be able to drive the whole length at say, $10.

Edit: with a transponder the 401-427 trip would have been around $6-$7. The highway isn't really meant for people driving through, its a commuter highway designed for daily users. (whether that is what is should be doing is questionable, but it is what it is)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Edit: with a transponder the 401-427 trip would have been around $6-$7. The highway isn't really meant for people driving through, its a commuter highway designed for daily users. (whether that is what is should be doing is questionable, but it is what it is)
I get that notion. But for me that is the problem. I firmly believe the 407 should not be a toll road at all. A huge amount of congestion would be eased crossing the GTA if there were two (or more...) viable highways running east-west.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:44 AM

no it wouldn't the first rule of urban highway building is induced demand. if you made it free people would simply start taking trips in rush hour they don't currently, causing much more congestion. sure people may start using it instead of the 401, but people currently not using the 401 for whatever reason would start to use it, and thus you are back at square one (no, not the mall) with 2 highways that are congested.

if you really want to save some money but want to avoid the 407 a big chunk of highway 7 is pretty quick, just avoid the part in Markham like the plague. getting off at Keele and getting back on at Bayview should be fairly quick but without the tolls for a big chunk of the route.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:38 AM
Ham-burgher

Ideally the 407 tolls would be completely variable and set dynamically according to what would optimize traffic flow on the 401 while maintaining free-flow on the 407, by creating the right incentive for some to redirect their trip to the 407. This would likely make the difference between peak and off-peak rates a lot larger (meaning lower off-peak tolls)

But because it's a privately operated highway, the 407 tolls are set according to what is good for the profitability of the 407.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
But because it's a privately operated highway, the 407 tolls are set according to what is good for the profitability of the 407.
Aren't the rates controlled by government regulation?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario