HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 1:59 AM
World Traveler

Since we were talking about the Fairmont wall facing Cesar Chavez on the Quincy thread, I decided to ask a question here so I don't take that one too far off-topic. On Google Streetview, I noticed that there are some glass windows and doors on the Cesar Chavez side. Are those for future retail or something else? Hard to tell.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 3:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Since we were talking about the Fairmont wall facing Cesar Chavez on the Quincy thread, I decided to ask a question here so I don't take that one too far off-topic. On Google Streetview, I noticed that there are some glass windows and doors on the Cesar Chavez side. Are those for future retail or something else? Hard to tell.
You would think they could be for retail but nothing has come of it and it almost seems like its just doorways to get into staff areas for the ballrooms but I don't know for sure.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:12 AM

That sidewalk along the podium is rather narrow for Great Streets, and all the traffic on Cesar Chavez makes for an unpleasant and noisy pedestrian experience during the day.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Mar 18, 2019 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Those are almost all doors serving the exit stairs from the meeting rooms above. Hopefully they never open.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 2:07 PM
World Traveler

Interesting. It seems like having retail right there could be pretty good on a lot of levels, especially as development continues south of Cesar Chavez. Between the CC crowds and residents and guests along Rainey, why not have something there?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting. It seems like having retail right there could be pretty good on a lot of levels, especially as development continues south of Cesar Chavez. Between the CC crowds and residents and guests along Rainey, why not have something there?
It's not only an emergency exit it's that's the back-of-house service hallway, plus storage, housekeeping, culinary, etc etc -- whatever else they could cram back there. That's why it's a wall all the way up to the top of the podium -- there's a service hallway behind each ballroom floor, too.

From what I can tell, the glass facing Cesar Chavez is purely decorative. There's no real opportunity within the Fairmont footprint to add any sort of retail there at all. And I really don't know why they decided to have the entrance on the north face -- though I wonder if it's a strategy for traffic management. Cesar Chavez would be a HUGE cluster if potentially hundreds of cars per event were entering and leaving directly onto it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:55 AM

Are there actually any hotels around with retail built in? I've never seen any. Seems counter productive to me.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Are there actually any hotels around with retail built in? I've never seen any. Seems counter productive to me.
They have the same requirements as offices and residential towers do to get density bonuses for increased FAR. But most retail ends up being restaurants and bars which is what hotels generally have anyway.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The W downtown has retail -- they have an Urban Outfitters. Really, the W is essentially the model for what all downtown hotels should strive to be. Bars, restaurants, retail, coffee shop, concert venue, and a neat Willie Nelson statue.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:47 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
The W downtown has retail -- they have an Urban Outfitters. Really, the W is essentially the model for what all downtown hotels should strive to be. Bars, restaurants, retail, coffee shop, concert venue, and a neat Willie Nelson statue.
I think it should be mandatory for each new hotel in CBD to have a Willie Nelson statue.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Proper will have retail (Bank of America) in addition to the food outlets. ZaZa looks like it might have an open spot or two. The Hilton has a boutique just off its lobby (Capra and Cavelli) — though there’s very little true street presence to speak of.

So yeah, retail can and does happen, in all kinds of different forms.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:45 PM

Aloft at 7th & Congress has worked out pretty well too

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:54 PM

South Congress Hotel has retail, restaurants, bars and coffee shops all on the ground floor.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:27 PM

The JW has excellent street presence, though no pure retail to speak of. It's all restaurants. TBH, I love their burger bar best -- to me that's very Austin-y.

All of this, of course, is to say that the Fairmont really is a bundle of fail in a variety of different ways.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 12:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Ha!

I found out why all the light effects are never used
They don't have anyone who specifically does the lighting. Instead it's done by their security and apparently they don't know how to do the patterns or the colored lights on the spire... lol

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Ha!

They don't have anyone who specifically does the lighting. Instead it's done by their security and apparently they don't know how to do the patterns or the colored lights on the spire... lol
Need a part time job?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:19 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Need a part time job?
A second job that lasts one hour. I mean how hard could it really be to set up color patterns for holidays and events. I'm suprised they didn't have any training in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Ha!

Wait....there can be *colored* lights on the spire??!?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Wait....there can be *colored* lights on the spire??!?

Yes. Along with the flood lighting pointed at the spire which we see all the time, the spire itself has built in lights which ring around each of the segment connections where the rings jut out a bit. So if they actually knew how to operate them, the spire can be lit up in colors including moving patterns. There was an in depth press release back before the Fairmont opened that focused on the light system they were installing which boasted about how many lighting effects it could do. I mean really, why waste that much money on a light system that advanced, (would be the most impressive lighted building in Austin) if it's not going to be used because nobody in their security department knows how to operate it... Either train someone or hire a person solely to operate the system. Even my source who is an employee at the Fairmont thinks it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Mar 27, 2019 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:38 PM

The incompetence on this project is astonishing.

From the endless construction woes to the unbelievable interior design choices to this. What a joke for what should have been a crown jewel for the downtown hotel segment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin