HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:19 PM

New agreement could finally light Beltline’s Eastside Trail

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...source=twitter

Quote:
A long-awaited plan to add lighting to the Atlanta Beltline’s Eastside Trail could have new momentum.

The city’s economic development agency, Invest Atlanta, on Thursday is set to hear an agreement with the Georgia Department of Transportation that would facilitate construction projects on the Beltline — namely the lighting of the Eastside Trail.

The roughly $1.6 million project would install lighting and security cameras along the Eastside Trail, spanning 2.25 miles from Monroe Drive to Irwin Street. The lights would be self-dimming, like those currently found along the Eastside Trail extension, which runs south of Irwin Street to the Reynoldstown neighborhood.

A “Light the Line” campaign in 2016 raised thousands in private donations for the Eastside Trail lights.

The project since has been tied up due to about $560,000 in federal funding that had to be funneled through GDOT.

Now, construction bids for the lighting project could open in June, according to Invest Atlanta documents.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:51 PM

Anybody have a link to the 3/14/2019 BeltLine Quarterly? Was supposed to be presented last week, however I haven't found it online.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Anybody have a link to the 3/14/2019 BeltLine Quarterly? Was supposed to be presented last week, however I haven't found it online.
https://beltline.org/progress/progre...ent/#meetings?
They have the facebook live and the presentation

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
https://beltline.org/progress/progre...ent/#meetings?
They have the facebook live and the presentation
Thank you! Sorry I hadn't pieced together how to get to that page, yet!

While I'm glad to see the transportation improvements for sub area 9 (especially potential direct connection between West Marietta & Westside Provisions District), my GOD is that sloppy work on the 3rd page of the extended street grid.
https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...ards_FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:46 PM

This weekend the little section north of Kirkwood Ave had all the curbing finished up and the fences taken down! Here's the view south from there

The construction trailers are gone, the bridge looks done and you can see the curve leading to the Triumph condos. I think we're gonna be open to Memorial pretty soon!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
This weekend the little section north of Kirkwood Ave had all the curbing finished up and the fences taken down! Here's the view south from there

The construction trailers are gone, the bridge looks done and you can see the curve leading to the Triumph condos. I think we're gonna be open to Memorial pretty soon!
Should be this summer. When GDOT does the pedestrian scramble after they’re done restriping memorial is when it’ll be ready.

Also, Madison yards has lots of chunks complete on bkw

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:54 PM

I can’t wait for the section to Memorial to open and along Bill Kennedy Way. I regularly walk from the Glenwood Kroger to Piedmont Park. It’ll be great for this to finally be a straight connection and not have to zigzag along Memorial to The tunnel at Dekalb. I’m so excited.

I can’t wait for the section down to I-75/85. Construction of homes and even townhomes is going crazy all along this section. The Beacon is filling up with tenants and the townhomes across the street seem to be about 80% sold and not even ½ complete.

I’m not sure what they are doing but workers have been on the section at Pryor and University and they just installed a wide wooden staircase leading to the trail on Pryor at the RR bridge. It is probably just for access for construction but makes getting on the trail easy at that intersection.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 11:17 PM

The old rail siding that has its own bridge over North Ave and went to the Ford auto factory was open yesterday after being fenced for months.

They even put little "Keep Right" signs up all official-like. Kroger looks like it's getting close. Cool not having to make that little jog to the west.

Is this now the only divided section of the trail? I know the old bridge is still over Ralph McGill, but it doesn't carry actual paving. Maybe somewhere on the west side?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 2:22 AM

They also used hat screen to display a film from Atlanta film festival this past weekend.

And random beltline retail news more places are opting up at SPX Alley and The Edge. Quickly coming a hotspot in the city. I don’t expect all the retail to last (and honestly do t want all of them to), but it’s going to be great having more options in general actually on the beltline. Hoping it drives up foottraffic to retail along Edgewood Avenue, too.

Can I post tweets here?
Test [twitter=atlurbanist/status/1117477528569036807?s=21]
https://twitter.com/atlurbanist/stat...569036807?s=21

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:25 PM

INVEST ATLANTA
Streetcar East Extension Engineering
Eastside TAD

Quote:
The proposed project will start preliminary engineering database development for the Atlanta Streetcar east extension. The project extents are Jackson Street on the Atlanta Streetcar A-Line alignment and Ponce de Leon Avenue on the Atlanta BeltLine East corridor. The alignment runs on Edgewood Avenue from Jackson Street to Randolph Street, then north to Auburn Avenue and connects to the BeltLine East corridor at Irwin Street, terminating at Ponce de Leon Avenue. This segment is approximately 2.06 miles in length.
https://go.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...A%205-2-19.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
INVEST ATLANTA
Streetcar East Extension Engineering
Eastside TAD

https://go.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...A%205-2-19.pdf
Edgewood is jammed with cars. How will they keep the trains from getting stuck in traffic on this route? Seems like Irwin would be a better choice, but I understand the commercial activity in Edgewood is better

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:53 PM

Still 5+ years before engineering is finished for this little segment and 8+ years before service even starts. IF they stay on schedule.

This plus the costs is why it's so hard to get people on board with transit.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 5:27 PM

As part of this project, they need to put the existing and new extension in its own ROW. That’s the only way the streetcar is ever going to work or increase ridership.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:35 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Regarding the SST:
"The Trail will connect the Eastside Trail and Westside Trail, resulting in an 11- mile contiguous trail when completed (assuming Bill Kennedy Way is
addressed
)"

At least they broke out BKW as it's own item for design within the budget... but still.
"This trail is complicated by a narrow commercial corridor and the
need for a new above grade crossing of I-20"

At least SST & NET are funded in 2019 & 2020 for design & construction. BKW for design. WST extension for design. Also a NWT alternative analysis is funded.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Regarding the SST:
"The Trail will connect the Eastside Trail and Westside Trail, resulting in an 11- mile contiguous trail when completed (assuming Bill Kennedy Way is
addressed
)"

At least they broke out BKW as it's own item for design within the budget... but still.
"This trail is complicated by a narrow commercial corridor and the
need for a new above grade crossing of I-20"

At least SST & NET are funded in 2019 & 2020 for design & construction. BKW for design. WST extension for design. Also a NWT alternative analysis is funded.
This is actually good news. Thank god that design can start on BKW. Simple solution: close it down to only pedestrians!

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
This is actually good news. Thank god that design can start on BKW. Simple solution: close it down to only pedestrians!
A new crossing of 20 for the beltline alone would be awesome, too! Expensive, but awesome.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:42 PM

Looks like GDOT could be installing the pedestrian scramble in front of golden eagle soon. Streets are paved new, lots of new line striping, etc.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Looks like GDOT could be installing the pedestrian scramble in front of golden eagle soon. Streets are paved new, lots of new line striping, etc.
Any idea if all of the new striping is complete? Some of it looks very shoddy/temporary. Especially the turn arrows, they're barely recognizable (it looks like they left their arrow stencil behind)

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagetown View Post
Any idea if all of the new striping is complete? Some of it looks very shoddy/temporary. Especially the turn arrows, they're barely recognizable (it looks like they left their arrow stencil behind)
Yeah just noticed that today. It's very slim and wimpy, not sure if that's the new way of doing it or what

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta